Ranking
Original Post
Updating Uke Bot/Tutorial
Sorry for the big wall of text, but please take your time to read this.

New players join Toribash daily and we want to keep them interested in the game so they won't quit.

When you register a new account you are taken to a tutorial. It explains the game and tells the control, basic things. I'm in love with this game and I always tell my friends to download it and to get familiar with the game. Once they begin playing, they almost immediately lose interest to the game.

I created a new account, just to see what impression Toribash makes to new players. I've noticed the tutorial has changed, but it's not entertaining/informing (based on my friends' reactions to the tutorial and my own).

They do attempt making the tutorial interactive with take pre-done moves and then asking the new player to extend knees, ungrab, etc. I don't think moves like that truly represent the beauty of Toribash.

We can all agree aikido/physics is a big part of Toribash, but they're absent during the tutorial. The tutorial only makes a mere dent in all the things we can do in Toribash, but the new players don't know that, making them lose interest to the game.

The tutorial needs to show them aikido. Show them sweeps, lifts, suplexes, etc. They could even show real life examples during the tutorial(like a clip or something). This will open up a connection between a game and physics that no other game can show. This will interest new players to continue playing the game.

The tutorial can go through how to make tc. Even though there are threads and videos on this, the tutorial needs to show the player or give them easier access to these topics. It does give you a link to the beginner sanctuary, but it never goes beyond that. Showing texture making/item forging to all the artists who join Toribash. The tutorial can go through forums showing the community beyond the in game servers.

They can introduce new players marketing, the events they can attend, buying, selling textures. Their inventory(activating, deactivating). Transferring tc, customizing your profile on forums, clans, orgs, all the good stuff.

I know this is a lot just for one tutorial, so they can organize it into sections. For e.g:

• Forums
    In-game

The in-game can go into dueling, betting, in-game commands and forums can go into the topics included in the last passage.

Uke Bot

Uke needs to be more engaged with the player, taking the player to servers, showing commands. Engaging Uke with the player, brings a welcoming vibe.

The new players tend to get lost on the multiplayer page and would usually go to a goofy mod that doesn't truly represent Toribash. If there would be a server where Uke is in hotseat and new players can join and try beating uke for practice.

Uke should have a better variety of moves in Challenge Uke and explain the moves while he is executing them.
Last edited by Lampito; Jan 1, 2016 at 04:22 AM.
Supported adding more openers to the "challenge Uke" option of the tutorials, but I don't support adding more frames where he moves. Uke isn't moving to react to the player as far as I know, he's just moving on a set rhythm that he was programmed to. If you start making him move for longer amounts of time then his movements will only become random and useless.
AnimePlanetMyAnimeListDiscord: Kohta#1577 • NikosTunaPouffyAubreyGuessTenRythm
• No longer "active" on Toribash. Leave a PM if you need something, I'll eventually see it. •
• Crippled/Disabled girls are the best girls a guy could have. •
-snip-
If you go play around with the code found in the data folder, you can change how uke plays, but it's a complex concept.(personally)
Last edited by Lazors; Jan 30, 2016 at 09:09 AM.
Originally Posted by Lampito View Post
-snip-
If you go play around with the code found in the data folder, you can change how uke plays, but it's a complex concept.(personally)

Uhh, no you can't, only thing you can change in the data folder is textures.
Originally Posted by imaSlayaa View Post
Uhh, no you can't, only thing you can change in the data folder is textures.

I believe you can.

OS > Games > Toribash-4.95 > data > script > tutorial
[/Quote]

Lazors Moderated Message:
Posting a chunk of quotes like that isn't helping anyone. Just contact a mod instead of doing that next time.
Last edited by Lazors; Feb 1, 2016 at 06:24 AM.