Toribash
Original Post
Social Group Name Changes
Since it's not really a username or anything, I would like to suggest that users like myself be able to change a social groups name without having to have any outside help. That being said, I do not think there is any downsides to adding this small change. I think it would really benefit a lot of people out there that are in need of changing an old group's name that no longer makes sense, etc.
Buy me food and tell me I'm cute.
Only flaw I see with this is if a bunch of members are gathered for a seemingly good/entertaining cause, only to have the group admin change the name to something ridiculous that makes them all look bad. Maybe public logs of changes for every social group would fix that? Or have Clan Mods be able to change the names for us, even though that's considered outside help. Also, what group names seem to be outdated?
BAD LUCK
I like your idea of the public logs. That is a really good one that I didn't think about. Also, as far as outdated group names, I was just thinking of having that door open for users. None in particular besides my own come to mind.
I don't really see how them changing the name to troll is a problem. If they change the name to something stupid then you just leave the group. I like this idea though because a lot of cool people (Sparky for example) have fan clubs and then get a name change. Sparky's fan club is still under the name Sparkyau even though thats not his name anymore. So it would be nice if it was possible to change the name of the group to match his new name.
AnimePlanetMyAnimeListDiscord: Kohta#1577 • NikosTunaPouffyAubreyGuessTenRythm
• No longer "active" on Toribash. Leave a PM if you need something, I'll eventually see it. •
• Crippled/Disabled girls are the best girls a guy could have. •
That is exactly why I want to change the group name of ky social group. But still, would you want to be a part of something ridiculous that someone named just to insult
you? I think firebolty makes a good point.
Originally Posted by K0HTA View Post
I don't really see how them changing the name to troll is a problem. If they change the name to something stupid then you just leave the group.

.. Except I'm sure people don't keep tabs on every social group they ever joined, they wouldn't even notice that they're a part of something that's potentially offensive/conflicting. Given the reasoning behind groups being dedicated to old usernames, I agree that there should be a way to change the group titles, but there should also be some way to monitor the changes (similar to how admins take requests for name-changes; requests go through them).
BAD LUCK
Having the changes go through an admin though defeats the purpose of this suggestion... or am I missing something? Perhaps you change it and submit it for approval?
Originally Posted by Twilight View Post
Having the changes go through an admin though defeats the purpose of this suggestion... or am I missing something? Perhaps you change it and submit it for approval?

I just used that as an example, doesn't apply to this suggestion. As long as there's at least some documentation of the changes, it should be fine. Submitting for approval could work as well, and maybe there could be an automatic system for name-changing similar to this sometime in the future.
BAD LUCK
Originally Posted by firebolty View Post
.. Except I'm sure people don't keep tabs on every social group they ever joined, they wouldn't even notice that they're a part of something that's potentially offensive/conflicting. Given the reasoning behind groups being dedicated to old usernames, I agree that there should be a way to change the group titles, but there should also be some way to monitor the changes (similar to how admins take requests for name-changes; requests go through them).

I see what you mean, but it doesn't matter. "you" are the one that joined that group, "you're" responsible for managing what groups you're in. If you don't want to keep track of them all then "you" shouldn't have joined so many or joined any at all.

As for the issue of people changing names to insulting ones thats simple. Ban the idiot that changed it to that name and then disband the social group. Its just a free to make social group with a few chats. Its not like they are that important. We're not talking about a clan or forum organization here.
AnimePlanetMyAnimeListDiscord: Kohta#1577 • NikosTunaPouffyAubreyGuessTenRythm
• No longer "active" on Toribash. Leave a PM if you need something, I'll eventually see it. •
• Crippled/Disabled girls are the best girls a guy could have. •
Social groups are meant to be fun. K0HTA is right about the end user being responsible for his/her groups that they are a part of. Perhaps a TC fee each time you change the social group's name would discourage people from acting like idiots.

Also, does any staff with the authority have a guess as to what the likelihood of suggestion coming to fruition?