ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Marijuana now legal in the states Colorado and Washington.
So apparently marijuana has now been legalized for recreational use in Colorado and Washington. I don't smoke it myself, but this is a big deal for those who support the legalization. What are your thoughts on the subject? How do you feel about the economic approach towards it (taxing it)?

http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/07/news/economy/marijuana-legalization-washington-colorado

http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news...juana-use?lite

P.S. sorry if this discussion happens to be against the rules, you can close it if it does. But I'm sure it's relevant to some people on the forums and it's still current events.
Your pal,
crith
Thats a good thing for me personaly because, on my free time when im not at work i smoke weed. Its good that they legalized weed up there so people can smoke not worry about going to jail.
want a events planer? well pm me !~forever a slave to the gods!
I feel this will be closed very soon. If anything you might as well of put it in the serious discussion tab. ANYWAYS

I don't understand the legalization of said marijuana. Some of the main reasons it was legalized was because I bet congress and other states government were tired of hearing pot heads saying "Man you need to legalize pot man."

Tbh I find it very suprising the government would legalize something they can't tax. Not to mention if this is a follow up suit for other states the economy will go to shit. I mean, the timber industry pfft out the window, not to mention parents hate the idea of weed ANYWHERE NEAR THEIR KIDS! To have it legal just amazes me. Also to think that if you complain enough you get your way puts me in awe as well.

Not to mention production would go down if other states followed through. I mean people would be eating like crazy but no body would be up to make more food cause their so lazy from the weed! (Joking situation but you never know >_>)

Times like these I wish executive action still existed for the good side.
But in all reality... I think I might be insane...
You have proved yourself retarded once again, Agentmax.

It wasn't passed 'cause pot heads said "Man you need to legalize pot man."

It's actually been talked about for years, and it might improve the economy greatly.

I'm surprised it wasn't legalized earlier. Hell, it does much less harm than Alcohol. It was primarily banned because it was a gateway drug, thought to lead people into harsher drugs. I think people will handle it fine, and it won't cause any harm. It's not like "Hey, this weed is getting old. Ima go shoot up some heroine instead."

tl;dr The prohibition of weed was kind of a failure, it's pretty popular everywhere, and it hasn't made an impact at all.

If weed can fetch the economy some bucks, why not?

Read this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1833751.html

EDIT: These laws are merely a test to see how society functions with weed being legal. If it does well, you'll see more and more states following. If not, it'll be banned again.
Last edited by sham; Nov 8, 2012 at 04:46 AM.
inq.
Originally Posted by sham View Post

It's actually been talked about for years, and it might improve the economy greatly.

I'm surprised it wasn't legalized earlier. Hell, it does much less harm than Alcohol. It was primarily banned because it was a gateway drug, thought to lead people into harsher drugs. I think people will handle it fine, and it won't cause any harm. It's not like "Hey, this weed is getting old. Ima go shoot up some heroine instead."

tl;dr The prohibition of weed was kind of a failure, it's pretty popular everywhere, and it hasn't made an impact at all.

EDIT: These laws are merely a test to see how society functions with weed being legal. If it does well, you'll see more and more states following. If not, it'll be banned again.

Harm is harm, no matter what. It makes you happy right? I would go into all the science behind it but I don't feel like typing so summary! Everytime you do something that you think is fun you release THC. When you smoke marijuana it releases alot of THC but the THC stays and you become accustomed to that happiness and it makes every other activity you do besides smoking weed less fun. So smoking weed continuously is the only way to get that happiness your now relying on, making daily life more of a chore. That itself has many major side effects on a society. That already outweighs the "economic gains" all the pro legalize people say. Let alone the damage to your lungs, the damage to your throat, and all the side effects of smoking in general. Oh yeah and marijuana can lead to other drugs once the high of marijuana isn't good enough anymore; you'd probably reply no way I'm going to use other drugs! Other people might, and allowing recreational marijuana is going to open alot of paths that can lead to increased rates of crime. Which is something we don't need now that prisons are overcrowded.

It's pretty popular must be good. Just like opium in China during the 18th century, right? History repeats itself. Also if we legalized marijuana right now, that would officially be one of the worst ideas politicians have agreed to. In hard economic times, people resort to stress relievers, whether it be smoking cigarettes, cigars, alcohol and now introducing marijuana

I MEAN DOPAMINE instead of THC
Last edited by cocacobra; Nov 8, 2012 at 05:46 AM.
i created the ??? emoji
like a lighter bitch we ignit
Well this seems to be a problem. It is legal on a state level but still illegal on the federal level. So to explain it, this means that the state says they can do it but the federal police can still arrest people for it. So one of two things will happen. Either they make weed legal federally or they go back to the way it was. But in my opinion it should be legal. Proven to be less dangerous than cigarettes and alcohol, both of which are legal. Alcohol was made by man and marijuana is a natural substance on this earth and I don't think they have the right to tell us what we can and can not put in our bodies if we so choose.
Alcohol is bad, pot is good. Pot also cures lung cancer.

Alcohol causes car accidents.
Pot reduces street crime.

I think we have a winner.
Originally Posted by sham View Post

Read this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1833751.html

Still not nice, some people have mental problems like that. Don't use the term so broadly.

Anyways, I'm just saying, the government CANNOT! Make a "buck" on this plant we call Marijuana. It's a natural substance and like all natural substances it can prove to be harmful as stated by cobra. With it being a natural substance you can not put any type of dosage, time of day it to be used, and how often it can be used. Also like cobra said, people become dependent on it like they do cigs and alcoholic beverages. So to say it's "Better" then those is complete lack of observation on your part. Because eventually if you smoke enough weed, you become dependent and you won't do anything with your life because your high all the fucking time. Not too mention you'll food bill go out the roof.

Still, the fact that weed is being legalized fucks up the street price. Because if the government FINDS a way to tax it. All hell will break loose on the street because those who sell it will lose their profits and pitch a fit.

Also I didn't think cancer could be cured by such unconventional ways.
Marijuana is helpful in some disease cases, being 'legal' doesn't mean you have the right smoke it, but it means that hospitals(doctors,scientists) are aloud to experiment with it.
Art Shop! [TA]<3 [TGO]<3 [r]<3
Originally Posted by ultimation View Post
Marijuana is helpful in some disease cases, being 'legal' doesn't mean you have the right smoke it, but it means that hospitals(doctors,scientists) are aloud to experiment with it.

Ah, thank you for the lesson there. I have heard though people make up bullshit excuses at the doctor just so they can smoke it without getting in trouble.

IE: The people who are dependent on it go to great lengths to get it.