Ranking
Originally Posted by therealcj View Post
possibly out of topic, but does anyone know how bad lincoln's life was before president?

I'll just get this out of the way before things like this pop up again.
It matters little how poor or hard your life is, some people aren't as strong as others. I know people that have been rich and suicidal and I've known people that have been poor and happy. It all depends on how well you handle situations. Lincoln obviously handled them well.
I mean yeah in some cases people are poor and it brings them down, but it really irritates me when people play the whole "so and so has it better than so and so, therefore they should not be depressed and or suicidal" card.
Last edited by Aracoon; May 1, 2014 at 03:28 AM.
From a person who has gone through a near-death experience, how someone would WANT to die utterly shocks me. Sure you feel like it's all relaxation and no more worries, but can you imagine the fear? If you are trying to OD yourself imagine the 20 minutes before they kick in! All you would be thinking about is what is the afterlife, who says it's going to be stress free and fine? Maybe it's like an endless drug trip and is utter hell. Anyways, life is good, you're sooooo lucky to be alive you don't even understand. You know there's like a 000000000000.1% chance of you being born but you were born so why end it?
People always make the assumption suicide is a choice. In the sense that you reach the decision to do it, yes, it's technically a choice. But if you look at the root of suicide, depression, it becomes less a choice and more a byproduct of circumstance.

It's important to note the ties between depression and suicide. The vast majority of suicides are performed by depressed people, specifically shortly after the worst of a depression episode. During the depths of depression, suicide is rare because the energy necessary to perform suicide is not there. It's when the person starts to get better when most suicides occur, as the thoughts are still there, but the energy is now present as well.

Depression itself is a product of both the environment and genetics. A person prone to depression who can avoid all environmental triggers will not suffer from depression. A person who is resistant to depression and is put through a terrible environment stands a good chance at not being depressed from it. But when you get a bad set of genes and get placed in a bad environment, depression hits hard. Depression is not just extreme sadness, but is the result of abnormal production of neurotransmitters in the brain, specifically an underproduction of serotonin. Serotonin is responsible for creating feelings of happiness, among other things.

Long story short, most people who attempt suicide don't do so out of spite or anger, or even regular sadness. Depression feels like everything in life is hopeless, nothing will bring you happiness, and the despair of it all is overwhelming. Personally, I become catatonic to avoid dealing with the crushing feeling that comes with it, time becomes impossible to tell because every moment is an eternity. When you have to deal with it for days, weeks, and eventually months without an end in sight, death becomes preferable to the agony of life.
nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
People always make the assumption suicide is a choice. In the sense that you reach the decision to do it, yes, it's technically a choice. But if you look at the root of suicide, depression, it becomes less a choice and more a byproduct of circumstance.

It's important to note the ties between depression and suicide. The vast majority of suicides are performed by depressed people, specifically shortly after the worst of a depression episode. During the depths of depression, suicide is rare because the energy necessary to perform suicide is not there. It's when the person starts to get better when most suicides occur, as the thoughts are still there, but the energy is now present as well.

Depression itself is a product of both the environment and genetics. A person prone to depression who can avoid all environmental triggers will not suffer from depression. A person who is resistant to depression and is put through a terrible environment stands a good chance at not being depressed from it. But when you get a bad set of genes and get placed in a bad environment, depression hits hard. Depression is not just extreme sadness, but is the result of abnormal production of neurotransmitters in the brain, specifically an underproduction of serotonin. Serotonin is responsible for creating feelings of happiness, among other things.

Long story short, most people who attempt suicide don't do so out of spite or anger, or even regular sadness. Depression feels like everything in life is hopeless, nothing will bring you happiness, and the despair of it all is overwhelming. Personally, I become catatonic to avoid dealing with the crushing feeling that comes with it, time becomes impossible to tell because every moment is an eternity. When you have to deal with it for days, weeks, and eventually months without an end in sight, death becomes preferable to the agony of life.

Still though, suicide is a choice. What you meant to say was depression is not a choice. I can tell you right now I am feeling depressed about certain things, but you know what? Suicide isn't gonna help anything. It's the easy way out, just think, there are so many people that have it worse than you, and they don't kill themselves. Do you think either am eternity of nothingness(for atheists) or hell(for Christians) or anything is going to be better than just toughing it out? No!
Please stop the personal slurs. If you have an opinion about suicide, bring arguments please. Calling it stupid and people who commit suicide idiotic is not worthy of a post.
f=m*a syens
I meant what I meant. When circumstances are stacked to promote one choice over another, it's not a true choice anymore. If I say you have the choice of being shot in the foot, or shot in the head, can you say you made a choice if you chose to be shot in the foot, or that you were forced into the choice? Severe depression is very similar to that. It feels like you can choose a lifetime of suffering, or to end it all right now. The end result is the same, it's the path taken that matters. It's not a rational evaluation of the choices, but you aren't in a rational state of mind to begin with. The choices look stacked, so the "choice" is more a selection of the obviously favorable. And since depression isn't a choice to begin with, suicide can be concluded as an inevitability of depression, barring preventative measures.

I'm skipping a bit of the reasoning involved to reach the conclusion, but I hope it's clear enough.
nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games
If God wanted you to commit suicide he would have added: Thou shalt end thy life. To the 10 commandments.

When your thinking about commiting suicide remember that your alive, your the lucky one.
Alright, I want to say this, there is always a reason why a person wants to commit suicide but people will look the different way depending on the reasoning. Like if it was a bullying and teasing in school, people would look a different way than because of a divorce.
Team Sad
Kradel keep that up and this will be a discussion about religion.. I've never really had the urge to kill myself just like that, but I can see why people would do it. I'd rather be dead than, well, lets say live my life in prison. Something major I guess is what it would take for me to end it.