Toribash
I wish it was some secluded sect or cult, but it's a rather large branch of Christianity, meaning this is happening all over the US, and I'm sure some other countries have similar issues.
That was just terrible. Why would they pretty much "brainwash" The kids into thinking that if they don't do what god says, they are going to hell?Even though ( I'm not a christfag, I just am forced to go to church ) It clearly states in the bible that " You will be forgiven if you ask for forgiveness ". I think they need to get a god damn bible and read it before they tell innocent kid's this bullshit.
Different cultures, different things happen. Do you think atheist parents raise their children with equal amounts of religion, or would the parents impart their views? Be mindful and respectful of the differences.

This kind of anti-religious crusading is bordering on atheism-cultism...
It's not anti-religious crusading, as you so keenly called it. I shared a video and gave my point of view. Many people agreed with me that the way the religion was being forced upon these children was scary, and seems morally wrong. It's a matter of opinion, Gorman, and it's fine that you have yours. I just find it bothersome that you're accusing us of being akin to a cult.
Originally Posted by Alaistier View Post
It's not anti-religious crusading, as you so keenly called it. I shared a video and gave my point of view. Many people agreed with me that the way the religion was being forced upon these children was scary, and seems morally wrong. It's a matter of opinion, Gorman, and it's fine that you have yours. I just find it bothersome that you're accusing us of being akin to a cult.

If I raised my children to be vehemently anti-religious and taught them that practicising any religion would only cause them and all around them untold pain and distress (р la exactly how Richard Dawkins imparts his beliefs), would you also hate me and find my actions morally reprehensible?
you do realise this video is over an hour long? thats a ridiculous resource for one to watch. I watched 5 minutes and it still hadnt got to the main discussion point...

anyway, ontopic:

I wish it was some secluded sect or cult, but it's a rather large branch of Christianity, meaning this is happening all over the US, and I'm sure some other countries have similar issues.

There is no graphic violence, death, nudity, etcetera. It's... Hard to explain. Evangelical Jesus Camps and the effect they're having on children, to make it simple.

Yeah, its a sad story. They think the ONLY route to peace is to evangalise through the bible and the word of God. I hope you dont base your oppinion of christians only on stuff like this. the majority of us believe to evangalise in the way we live our lives and through more established and accepted methods.
Im a born and bred Catholic, and alot of these new age, born again Christians make me cringe.

its like trollbait for athiests. evident by the creation of this thread =/ makes BenDover sad
Last edited by BenDover; Jul 26, 2011 at 09:30 AM.
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-

I find it bothersome that you find other people celebrating their religion with children to be akin to a cult.

Besides that, attacking people for sharing their religious views with children is a bit hypocritical considering you are posting it in a board with a mean age of 12.

I have no problem with your views, I have fought on your side in other threads, but don't think it is necessary for us to examine every time people practice their religion, and deem whether or not we find it to incur a "disgust at a moral level".

So you don't like religion, that's fine, but why is the fact that kids are being religious is so much more disgusting to you?
Originally Posted by Dalliance View Post
If I raised my children to be vehemently anti-religious and taught them that practicising any religion would only cause them and all around them untold pain and distress (р la exactly how Richard Dawkins imparts his beliefs), would you also hate me and find my actions morally reprehensible?

Hate you? No. Morally reprehensible? Yes. I believe that children should have the option to choose whichever religion/lack thereof they wish, not be forced upon it at birth. I never said I hate the people in this video.

Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
you do realise this video is over an hour long? thats a ridiculous resource for one to watch. I watched 5 minutes and it still hadnt got to the main discussion point...

Yeah.. Sorry about that. That's why I said watch what you can. I realize not everyone has the time/interest to watch one and a half hours of this.
anyway, ontopic:

Yeah, its a sad story. They think the ONLY route to peace is to evangalise through the bible and the word of God. I hope you dont base your oppinion of christians only on stuff like this.

I don't. I may seem it sometimes, but I'm not that judgemental and unreasonable.
the majority of us believe to evangalise in the way we live our lives and through more established and accepted methods.
Im a born and bred Catholic, and alot of these new age, born again Christians make me cringe.

its like trollbait for athiests. evident by the creation of this thread =/ makes BenDover sad

It makes me cringe too. I used to hear people always talk about those "right wing Catholic hatemongers" (it's died down since I was younger) but.. I have quite a few Catholic friends. None of them are like that. It's only the extremist, often ultra-fundamentalists, and usually cult-like sects that breed hatred. Don't worry; this video hasn't made me think less of you, BenDover. :3 Or anyone else, minus the people who teach their kids they are going to hell for thinking dirty thoughts and doing things they can't help.

Originally Posted by Gorman View Post
I find it bothersome that you find other people celebrating their religion with children to be akin to a cult.

wouldn't you say this is a bit more extreme than just celebrating?

Besides that, attacking people for sharing their religious views with children is a bit hypocritical considering you are posting it in a board with a mean age of 12.

I shared a video and my opinion, and some other people shared their opinion too. There's a difference between sharing a religious view ("Hey, maybe you should read this book on Christianity") and forcing it upon someone unable to know the difference. That's how I see it, anyway.

I have no problem with your views, I have fought on your side in other threads, but don't think it is necessary for us to examine every time people practice their religion, and deem whether or not we find it to incur a "disgust at a moral level".

I have no problem with your views either. As a matter of fact, I like you as a person from the discussions we have had.

We tend to examine the extreme examples of anything, and in this case it's a religious.. way of life. Of course we're not going to find some article about a woman who raised her child happily and gave them the decisions and the child chose God and they lived happily ever after. Why? That article doesn't exist. That's why I chose this video, I guess. It's extreme. I just hope the other people who watch it realize it's just one group, and don't villianize the rest of Christianity because of it.

So you don't like religion, that's fine, but why is the fact that kids are being religious is so much more disgusting to you?

I don't have a problem with religion. I disagree with it, but I accept people's choices to be or not be religious. These children are taken to a point past religious, though. It's the parents I express disgust towards. These children learn they have to repent and if they do anything wrong (they are kids after all) they will go to hell and burn for eternity. During a sermon, for lack of a better word, the large woman incriminates these children for thinking "dirty thoughts," saying "bad words," and disobeying their parents. Kids do that, and with time they learn the lessons. It's unfair to rein down on a child as though they are an adult who knows the rules and has been living them for 20+ years. There's a reason we don't try children as adults in court.
I find it bothersome that you find other people celebrating their religion with children to be akin to a cult.Did you even watch the video?

Mean age of 12? Have you singled out every person, gotten their age, and calculated the mean of it? Sharing religious views with children in itself is wrong in my opinion, but what they are doing is far worse then "sharing their religious views."

I must ask again, did you even watch the goddamn video? Forcing a religion onto a being who can be molded to think a certain way is wrong.

Restricting free will, and forcing a point of view that that person may not have agreed with if it wasn't forced on them..

Hoss.