Ranking
Original Post
Do you think extraterrestrial life exists?
So do you think out there in the vast, limitless (not really, but it's still pretty big) universe, there could be other life forms. Why do you think what you think ?

Also do you think there is life out there more advanced than us?

Redundant Moderated Message:
Please do not simply post your opinion. State your opinion, then argue for it. Cite sources if your argument relies on facts and theories.
Last edited by Redundant; Aug 10, 2013 at 05:24 PM.

"[11:17pm] Thorn: I'm gonna have to ask you to stop being so productive"
I think life definitely exists in the universe, maybe even in our solar system - microbial life - considering we've found organisms in the most extreme places on our planet.

The universe is huge and we're already discovering planets in the "Goldilocks zone", chances are life didn't only happen on our planet.

As for if we're being visited, I doubt it.
very promising planet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler-22b

as for my opinion... I believe there's something out there. if the universe is as big as we make it out to be, the possibility for all kinds of lifeforms are endless. the habitable zone, like NoGood mentioned, looks interesting.
I'm convinced other life forms exist in the universe. (developped or not)

Thing is we only know what carbon based life looks like and we judge our planet as the "best condition" for life to exist, but it's only the best condition for Life as WE know it. The universe is so fucking huge there will be things we'll never know about.

And the main point of the phenomenon that is Life, is to find a way to exist even when it's unlikely. I don't know about others "intelligent species" but I'm pretty sure that's possible.
We're just tiny little shits with a ridiculously small knowledge of our universe, and claiming we're the only witnesses and living on the only planet "housing" life is approximatively as closed and resonnable than religious thinking [and probably comes from it : a lot of religions described us as the center of the universe, the master piece of "god(s)", hell we even thought the sun was revolving around us. We like to think we're special]

http://htwins.net/scale2/

Last edited by deprav; Aug 10, 2013 at 03:43 PM.
I second what NoGood said. Given what we know about life and the conditions needed to support it, it is very likely that the universe is teeming with life. However, I don't know if much of that life would evolve beyond a microbial state, so I don't find it very likely we've been visited by extraterrestrial life.
My signature sucks
It's 100% certain that extraterrestrial life exists. Think of the ISS.
Life outside of our solar system? Near 100% certainty. Assuming humans are the only life form possible would be pretentious. There's so much theoretical proof pro-extraterrestrial life that I don't think this thread is debate-worthy. I don't think anyone's gonna come in here and proclaim there is no extraterrestrial life.

Originally Posted by Thellian View Post
I second what NoGood said. Given what we know about life and the conditions needed to support it, it is very likely that the universe is teeming with life. However, I don't know if much of that life would evolve beyond a microbial state, so I don't find it very likely we've been visited by extraterrestrial life.

The universe is more vast than you could imagine. The chances for a more advanced life form than us humans are near 100% too.
I like Neil DeGrasse Tyson's reasoning on this.

Our world is full of life within an arm's reach. Do you go outside and look at the ants? Do you go out and examine their "technology"? No. Either you look briefly and then go on or stomp them. You aren't going to put effort in trying to figure them out, what they do, what drives them. A similar thing could be going on in our galaxy. There could be life forms that know we exists, but we are as trivial to them as ants or worms are to us. We're simply not worth their time.

There's a scale of "advancement" called the "Kardashev Scale", based on how much energy a civilisation has at its disposal. A type I civilisation has power over all energy of its planet. A type II has power over the energy of the star it orbits around. A type III civilisation has power over its galaxy. Type IV can take energy from anywhere. Type V has transcended the universe. We're type 0.7
Last edited by Arglax; Aug 11, 2013 at 11:59 AM.
f=m*a syens
I believe in ET life.

The proof is just too heavy in this day and age for me to think otherwise. I think there's a good chance that there may be life forms more advanced than humans. I've seen actual UFOs during the late 90's, I'm calling them UFOs in the strictest sense, I'm in no position to say that those things were alien but I cant say I've seen anything else like it to this day, many many years later.

Redundant Moderated Message:
What proof are you talking about? Don't just make claims. Cite sources

Most of the people participating in this thread are informed enough and I'm talking about ET life in general in my first sentence. I'm talking about life that has been found in other planets / primitive bacteria on martian rocks etc. I hope you wont bother me with linking up because these things are pretty well documented and I believe the people in this thread are competent enough to use google.
Last edited by illv; Aug 11, 2013 at 03:41 PM.
I turned off the light at the end of the tunnel.
I change my mind I just looked at what MintCat posted it could be possible that other life-forms exist, sure its an ocean planet but doesn't mean in this vast universe that there is not a simmilar planet like it but with land.

Sorry, about that religous thing.
Last edited by tictacky2; Aug 11, 2013 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Religous matter will be infracted :o
Please leave god out of this debate. He is no scientific theory so there is no room for him in a discussion about extra terrestrial life.

If you want to talk about him go here
How are you?
Look. I'll give one more bit of "proof". The most common atom in the universe is BY FAR Hydrogen (90%). Then comes (Helium), Oxygen, Carbon and Nitrogen. Wait, H, O, C and N. Aren't those the elements that make up our atmosphere and... life in general?! Yes, that's right. The most occurring atoms in the universe are the exact same atoms that are needed to create life. You don't need to be a genius now to conclude that under the right circumstances (which exists on several other planets that we know of), life can "happen" anywhere around the universe.
f=m*a syens