Ranking
Originally Posted by Arglax View Post
The universe is more vast than you could imagine. The chances for a more advanced life form than us humans are near 100% too.
I like Neil DeGrasse Tyson's reasoning on this.

The universe is vast, yes. So vast indeed that even with high chances of other advanced lifeforms evolving, what are the chances they're any where remotely near us? There could be a hundred space-faring civilizations in just our galaxy alone and they may never come in contact with one another, simply due to the scale of things. We don't live in a Star Wars or Star Trek universe where traveling across a galaxy is a trivial task.
My signature sucks
Originally Posted by Thellian View Post
We don't live in a Star Wars or Star Trek universe where traveling across a galaxy is a trivial task.

The Star Trek universe is a type 2 civilisation. "Traveling across a galaxy is not a trivial task" -> to us it isn't. Would anyone from the 16th have thought that traveling the world in matters of hours would be possible? Not really. What lies ahead we don't know. We do know that technology advances exponentially. By that logic, at some point, a civilisation should reach the means of intergalactic spacetravel.
f=m*a syens
The Star Trek universe is a type 2 civilisation. "Traveling across a galaxy is not a trivial task" -> to us it isn't. Would anyone from the 16th have thought that traveling the world in matters of hours would be possible? Not really. What lies ahead we don't know. We do know that technology advances exponentially. By that logic, at some point, a civilisation should reach the means of intergalactic spacetravel.

That makes the assumption that one can advance past light-speed travel, or even come close to it. This is where scientific discussion ends and speculation begins.
My signature sucks
Originally Posted by Thellian View Post
That makes the assumption that one can advance past light-speed travel, or even come close to it. This is where scientific discussion ends and speculation begins.

Yes. Yes it does. There are a lot of things us puny humans don't know.
f=m*a syens
And might I add any scientific theory or proven fact starts with assumptions.

And your conception of space travel might be completely erroneous, who knows !? Maybe we don't need to go past light-speed, maybe we'll figure out how to distord matter (in the large sense of the term), or distord space & time, or send physical matter through very long distances, or whatever solution that sounds crazy for us now.
Originally Posted by deprav View Post
And might I add any scientific theory or proven fact starts with assumptions.

And your conception of space travel might be completely erroneous, who knows !? Maybe we don't need to go past light-speed, maybe we'll figure out how to distord matter (in the large sense of the term), or distord space & time, or send physical matter through very long distances, or whatever solution that sounds crazy for us now.

See, this is speculation.

We may very well be wrong about how the universe works, but until there's evidence that faster-than-light travel is possible, I will also doubt the possibility that we have been visited by extraterrestrials. It's just wishful thinking.
My signature sucks
Visited by extraterrestrials is something I never asserted. I merely said that extraterrestrial life certainly exists and that they are very likely to be superior to us on a technological level. The "Drake Equation" is a concept that's proven that.

About the extraterrestrial visitors: until it's made public and open that there are visitors, I won't say that I think there have been visitors. Three things that bother me:
1) Government might cover it up (not a conspiracy theorist, though)
2) We may not have been able to perceive them
3) Maybe they "saw" us from lightyears away. If we can find planets lightyears away with out technology, I'm sure other civilisations can do that too.
f=m*a syens
Visited by extraterrestrials is something I never asserted.

Sorry, your first response seemed to be rebutting the point I made about the low likely-hood of extraterrestrial visitation.

I don't doubt the existence of intellectually and technologically superior life, my point was that due to the sheer scale of space that I find it unlikely that any are close enough to us to even know of our existence.
My signature sucks
I believe that there is other extraterrestrial life out there. The universe is an enormous place, and Earth can't be the only planet that got lucky enough to have lifeforms on it. As for said life to be more intelligent than us, well, it's a possibility. They probably developed technology that allows them to travel through the universe with ease. Perhaps they've even paid a few visits to our planet without us even knowing...

...or ya know, they could be very primitive creatures and can only rely on light/other natural resources for survival.

If space truly is limitless

And as you all know,we live in one galaxy,there are 12 galaxies in the universe,our galaxy is the smallest galaxy of them all.It is nearly impossible to say for sure there is no life out there.
Are you living the life you really want?