Toribash
See, the problem is you're not separating fiction from reality. Creating fictitious evil is different from creating actual evil. They recognize what they've created in the game is not something that should be done in real life. However, they recognize that what makes horror scary is that things that shouldn't be done, are done.

Basically, you're approaching this as "they created something disturbing, they should be ashamed." However, a more accurate description of what they did is "they IMAGINED something disturbing". Does imagining an evil make you evil? Hardly, humanity thinks about evil all the time because it would be naive to assume that evil is not around you. Telling a horror story or making a horror movie is merely giving form to the evil that is imagined. Likewise, this scene is an imagining of evil expressed visually for others to experience. The evil remains fiction, and as such remains benign.

It also begs the question, Outlast has some pretty gruesome deaths in it, why is it this scene is the one that crosses the line? How can you say it's fine to put your name on the game for the rest of it, it's just this one scene that's wrong? I get a suspicion that you're getting upset over something trivial.
nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
Basically, you're approaching this as "they created something disturbing, they should be ashamed."

What. I thought I made it clear that I was talking about if anyone else found this too far?? Not that they did something bad. If I actually had a problem with the game I would have said that.

And why I chose this scene, it's because most death scenes are someone getting stabbed or shot. Or something that you see and don't really think about, as it happens so frequently in the game,. But getting a knife shoved through your ass and your balls cut off? I haven't even heard about that in real life.

Also why are you getting suspicious about me being upset?? Why would I even bother to post this thread if I wasn't upset. Heck this scene really fucked with me. Honestly I don't really know why. That's why I made this thread. Not to start some debate. I mean I understand your point. I was just wondering if other felt the same way. Guess not.
Four or five hours total.
And I guess the game could be considered disturbing to children, parents or elderly people.
Everything you've said so far points to the ideology that you think lesser of people who can envision creepy, perverted, evil, or disturbing thoughts. To point out a couple quotes from you:

I just find it weird how normal people can sit in a room and plan all this out.

I completely disagree. No one in the right mind would write this up and then be proud to have there name in the credits.

Have you ever unintentionally been afraid of anything in your life? Maybe had a dream where you fell off a cliff? You probably weren't even trying to make something scary, but it was. If you made a game and one cut scene had a man fall to his death from a cliff, probably screaming on the way down, all the way to including his actual demise and what happened to his body/blood, it'd be scary. It'd be horrific. Same thing with the visual and audio related to say someone drowning. Or to take it a step further, but definitely something you know about happening plenty- rape.

You can envision all these horrors, sometimes without even trying to. I guarantee if you TRIED to make things even more evil, corrupted, or at least powerful and impactful with images, ideas, sounds, etc. you would come up with some seriously grotesque things that with a good artist would terrify people. It doesn't say anything about your character, you as a person, your mind, or anything.
Need help?
Creati0n says: still my favorite. <3
I sacrificed my firstborn for this great human being to join (M) ~R
Just Use Thunder!
Jeez. I really didn't mean to cause all this trouble with this thread. I don't think lesser of these people. I guess I just really defensive for some reason with those quotes.

And yeah what your saying makes sense. What these people did with the game, says nothing about who they actually are. It's just something they came up with that they thought would scare people. OK this makes a lot more sense now, wow i honestly thought before that these people were downright crazy for coming up with these ideas. I was completely wrong. Thanks ;P
Sled , I seen both outlast one and two , horrfiying as fuck. I always get a jump scare , even when I least expect it to happen. It's too much , but I'm suprized I slept peacfully at night :O
"Joining ormo should not be seen primarily as an achievement but as an indication of what your future could be". ~Pusga
haha yeah I found it pretty darn scary too.

I am going to go ahead and close this thread since I have heard everything I needed to hear. Thanks for the opinions