Toribash
Originally Posted by Gynx View Post
Other than that, though, we generally call one another racist names for shits and giggles, nobody gets offended.

True that.

According to science race is pretty much nothing, so anyone with serious racist intent is just an idiot who needs to read a book or two.
Organisation of Awesome: Member.
A large portion of racial stereotypes come from perception. But sometimes, it is based on logical, statistical fact.

https://app1.fldoe.org/FCATDemograph...e&subj=Reading

Click the link, check the boxes for "2009" and "Grade 10" and click Continue.
Then, on the next page, check the boxes in "Ethnicity" for:

White
Black
Hispanic
Asian/Pacific Islander

Scroll to the bottom and check the box for %Passing. Then click "View Report"

This reveals the percentages of students who passed the FCAT (a simple Florida standardized test) by the demographics you have just selected. For those of you who do not have the time to follow all of the above instructions, the report looks like this.

Race Percent Passing
White 70%
Black 36%
Hispanic 50%
Asian/Pacific Islander 73%

Keep in mind that some of the Hispanic students who take the FCAT can barely speak the language that the test is written in, yet as a demographic they score HIGHER than African-Americans. Startling.
[Piratez]
I am neither Oyster nor lsl.
Oh, shit is about to hit the fan.

As for my stance, you are already aware of it.
To sum it up: whatever gap in performance that's due to genetics (or anything else) is correctable in foreseeable future.
Last edited by Odlov; Oct 28, 2009 at 06:06 PM.
Originally Posted by hydrotoxin View Post

Race Percent Passing
White 70%
Black 36%
Hispanic 50%
Asian/Pacific Islander 73%

I don't know what the questions were but I think the outcome of this "test" has more to do with social problems rather than geneticbackgrounds of the tested.
Yes some people are naturally dumber than some others but "smartness" genes are not connected to "racially distinguishable body features" genes.
Originally Posted by hoho123 View Post

I Want To ManBreakfast Massage Me When He Massage I Will Pay

Originally Posted by DaBandito View Post
I don't know what the questions were but I think the outcome of this "test" has more to do with social problems rather than geneticbackgrounds of the tested.
Yes some people are naturally dumber than some others but "smartness" genes are not connected to "racially distinguishable body features" genes.

I agree this may be partly due to societal structure at the moment, but how exactly are mental attributes different from physical ones? Your brain is a part of your body, just like your skin and eyes and everything else. Your intellect is heavily affected by genes, no question about it.

Statistically, Asians have higher IQ (albeit marginally) than whites. Does it always translate to success? No. But that's the data. (Note: I'm not Asian)

I think we have to embrace the differences in the meantime, because inevitably "genes" will become irrelevant in the future. It's not like anything can be done about it right now.
Last edited by Odlov; Oct 28, 2009 at 06:18 PM.
While I agree with the "social problems" part of that statement (to an extent), all four of those demographics receive the same education in the same setting in the same classrooms. In my opinion, most of the African-American students receive preferential treatment in terms of disciplinary action (if any negative act is commited against the African-American students at my school is a "hate crime", but the same is not true of other races, resulting in a misplaced sense of entitlement), which may result in a loss of initiative to compete with other students academically. However, the extent of difference between the demographics is absolutely undeniable. Surely there must be some problem that lies outside of the social boundary.
[Piratez]
I am neither Oyster nor lsl.
(Note: I'm not Asian)

Lol you sure, cause noting that was pretty smart :P
"I dissaprove of what you say, but i will defend to the death your right to say it"
some people do it just because that's what they were taught, or indoctrinated with as a child. Other times it's because people just don't like other people's appearance, or in their experience people of a certain race have been stupid, or bullied them, etc.

other times it may go deeper into things like religion etc. that are associated with race, and people make that association in all areas and become racist.
◕ ◡ ◕ [VIP]
Originally Posted by Gynx View Post
Remember kids, just because certain backgrounds are minorities doesn't mean they can be any less racist.

To add to the topic, though. I have a lot of black friends, white friends, and I also have a lot of mixed race friends. Not all of said races belong to the same religious group, either, and it's nice to see everyone getting along when there's a session on. Other than that, though, we generally call one another racist names for shits and giggles, nobody gets offended.

True. I have alot of black and colored and white friends. They would sooner give their life for mine then they would to make fun of some one. Not all people are racist. But someone can make a racist comment without even thinking about it. And thats another thing, people are not thinking before they speak. They just go out and say it then suffer the concequences.
[Hunters] Look down retard... [Hunters]
You try to get away, yet you only make it quicker.
well, see, if i see a reoccurring theme with a race i'll generally expect it to happen the next time i meet one of them.
this could be good or bad, but should be avoided altogether.

and about thinking before you speak: if i was gonna overthink everything i said so nothing at all insulting was involved, it'd take a hell of a long time for me to say anything. things can always be implied.
Last edited by Neved; Oct 29, 2009 at 01:50 PM.