ES Recruitment Drive
It was a decent action movie I thought, wasn't too deep, but I didn't expect it to be.
But I don't get how it made so much money.
i have a totally post modern tattoo of a scalene triangle.
<DeadorK> fair maiden
<DeadorK> if the cum is going to be in your mouth
<DeadorK> it shall be in mine as well
take dances with wolves/mononoke hime and add alien/halo/warhammer 40k style spacemarines and what do you get? an overblown, pathetic ripoff of a movie that does nothing but play off of what was successful in the past.

plays are wonderful, and i still attend them with some regularity, but the real future of entertainment will be things like this: http://vodo.net/pioneerone

anybody can experience it for absolutely no cost, but they also know full well that without their support the project will be discontinued. in this way creators are forced to spend more time on making their show actually good instead of making crap movies and then spending a fortune on marketing bombardment. once this type of thing becomes more common quality will inevitably degrade to some extent, but because the people who are paying do so after the fact we at least wont have anymore summer "why the hell did i waste an hour and a half of my life watching that" productions
u mad tho :)
Originally Posted by War_Hero View Post
It was a decent action movie I thought, wasn't too deep, but I didn't expect it to be.
But I don't get how it made so much money.

Excessive hype works wonders

"Ohohoho I've been working on this idea for 10 years and it's quite possibly the best thing ever"

It's all in the marketing, more nonsense that sounds appealing, more customers.
I happen to like impromptu performances (standup, LARP, openmicnight... oh open mic night)

i believe its about time we appreciate precursor media. we're doing it now with some new media formats like youtube etc
Originally Posted by FNugget View Post
As I see it, movies are dying because of pirating. The movie theater used to give an experience because the darkness and the size of the screen and the sound system. But now people have all that stuff at home. Peoples TVs at home are good enough that they would download movies. What kind of entertainment can provide an experience you can't get from a recording? A live play. But plays are so boring. There aren't any special effects, just lights, clothes, a backdrop, etc.

tl;dr Would you watch a live play directed by Michael Bay?

I think that movies which are action-packed such as Iron Man, Transformers won't really get hurt with piracy as other movies since there is a few things that a movie theater has than a regular TV. First of all, the size of the movie theater and the surround sound a theater has that a TV has not.
Originally Posted by Aspire
HAHAHA, I'M NOT A LOCAL MODERATOR ANYMORE. YOU STUPID PEOPLE!

Frankly, I don't think that piracy will ever be totally eradicated, but what you have to realize is that people who pirate games and movies oftentimes do it because they really can't afford to buy what they pirate. Musicians and moviemakers are wah-wah'ing and saying "LOOK 100,000 PEOPLE PIRATED THIS MOVIE/SONG, IF THEY HADN'T DONE THAT, THEN WE WOULD HAVE HAD MORE PROFIT"- wrong. I guarantee you that at least 90% of piraters couldn't be bothered to go pay money to watch a movie or buy a game if they can't get it for free. If they could afford it, they wouldn't have to pirate, yeah?

Not that I'm defending pirating- stealing is wrong etc, but let's be real, there's a fair amount of people on this site who have pirated movies, games, and most commonly, music, to avoid paying money- because they didn't have any money to pay with. Pirating only causes a loss of profit when people who would usually pay money don't, and most of the time, that's simply not the case.

Also; no matter how much you try to emulate the experience of a movie theater at home, it'll never be quite the same as actually going to the theater. You can get the same surround sound and the same picture quality and even buy a popcorn machine and soda fountain, but you'll never quite be able to match the atmosphere and general feel of a theater. I think that's why a lot of people still do go to the movies as opposed to staying at home and watching movies on their HDTV.
How to complain in style: GG, Mahulk.
But most people are okay with their HDTV's and mid range surround sound.

If you're not an expert wine taster, do you need to drink the most expensive wine?
Or: If you're already drunk, do you really mind what you're drinking?
Michael Bay is a quite rounding producer, so, Yes I would. Hopefully his play would be original unlike most common plays.
Also, today's pirating does not affect the movie industry by much, I would say a drop of 10-20%. Which in millions, yes that is much, but still, there is multi-million profits being made.