Toribash
Original Post
Some general questions
I have some questions to be asked to all your computer doods.

1) I'm looking to buy a new GPU, right now I have a Radeon HD 7450 and its just not giving me what I need. The only catch is I don't have a lot of money to throw around to get a new power supply with it (let us say a budget of $150ish). Would a GTX 750 ti sc be worth it? I don't need to run my games at max settings, medium settings with 30 fps is fine.

2) Would it be worth it to buy a SSD to run my os off of? I have been looking into buying one for a while now, but I was never sure if the benefits where that high.

3) Do you know of any acceptable free anti-virus software? I had the windows defender, but windows 8.1 decided it did not like it anymore, and killed it.

4)How do you guys think I could get further into the knowledge of computer parts and builds? It is something that has always interested me, but I'm not exactly sure where to start. I want to build a pc, but I don't want to dive into it with what little knowledge I have.

5) Would it be worth getting windows 10 now, just to get out of windows 8 hell?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1. A GTX 750 Ti is probably a lot more powerful than you're giving it credit for. Yes, it'll probably handle medium on most games just fine.

2. If you want performance in games, the money you could spend on an SSD would probably be better spent on a graphics card and power supply. However, if you just want fast boot times, go for it. Super small SSDs may have more random problems than moderately sized SSDs of 128GB-1TB though, so read the reviews before buying. Don't go less than 64GB, though I have no idea how you'd manage that.

3. Doesn't Avast have a free option? Malwarebytes has a free option too.

4. The sticky mentions Logical Increments. While by no means perfect, it is a good starting point to figure out what you should look for in components. Once you get an idea of what you're doing though, personal research will be a lot more useful than any online guide.

5. No comment.
Squad Squad Squad lead?
The standardization of Toribash Squad roles may have gone too far!
3. Avari has a free option too

4. tech forums I guess, overclockers, /g/, etc, read the news too maybe. Google components to find out prices and benchmarks.

5. There's nothing wrong with 8. If you seriously hate 8 and aren't just parroting memes then don't get 10, just go back to XP or ubuntu or whatever you think is a good OS. 10 is a free upgrade from 8 anyway, a lot of people are delaying the upgrade to 10 because they are waiting for the first big patch, but there's probably no problem.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
5. There's nothing wrong with 8. If you seriously hate 8 and aren't just parroting memes then don't get 10, just go back to XP or ubuntu or whatever you think is a good OS. 10 is a free upgrade from 8 anyway, a lot of people are delaying the upgrade to 10 because they are waiting for the first big patch, but there's probably no problem.

I like the ideas set up by windows 10. And it would be free, unlike going and getting windows 7, which is what I would prefer.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1. bad at computer parts
2. still bad at computer parts
3.I would recommend Malwarebytes. Unlike Avast, Malwarebytes scans for everything(spyware,malware, adware, and many, many others). I downloaded it on my grandma's laptop and it managed to find three backdoors on it :/
4. Gotta agree with suo for that one. You could probably find some basic pc building lessons on the internet as well if needed.
5. I would read the reviews and see what/if they're any problems you might encounter. Even go for an emulator if you are not completely sure. Personally, I'm waiting to see if a huge virus might go through Windows 10 in the next few months like what happened to vista(I'm not sure if it was Vista. It might have been a different one).
"Who wouldn't pass up gay sex with Bercat?"
"Day is probably masturbating to Osu"- Hydra 2k15