Toribash
Original Post
Defense of the Ancients (DotA)

Defense of the Ancients (DotA) is a custom scenario for the real-time strategy video game Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and its expansion, Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, based on the "Aeon of Strife" map for StarCraft. The objective of the scenario is for each team to destroy the opponents' Ancients, heavily guarded structures at opposing corners of the map. Players use powerful units known as heroes, and are assisted by allied heroes and AI-controlled fighters called "creeps". As in role-playing games, players level up their hero and use gold to buy equipment during the mission.[2]

The scenario was developed with the "World Editor" of Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos, and was updated upon the release of the expansion, The Frozen Throne. There have been many variations of the original concept; the most popular is DotA Allstars, which has been maintained by several authors during development. The current developer is known by his pseudonym as "IceFrog", and has been developing the game since 2005.

Since its release, Allstars has become a feature at several worldwide tournaments, including Blizzard Entertainment's BlizzCon and the Asian World Cyber Games, as well as the Cyberathlete Amateur and CyberEvolution leagues; Gamasutra declared that DotA was perhaps the most popular "free, non-supported game mod in the world". ~wikipedia[3]

In my own words
This is where LoL and HoN started
from DotA, DotA is a game where you need strategy,cooperation and a little common sense, I think it was based on a certain place in a certain campaign within the frozen throne and some high school even use this as bettings

The game can be either lan or online
If online you will need to use either battle.net in the frozen throne
or use garena in www.garena.com

Links:
www.playdota.com ~forums information and such
www.getdota.com ~downloads for the maps

TBnick | LANnick | BnetNick | GarenaNick:
Jan_miguel - † ub3r † - none - PlayerID12345

UHHHHHHHH

DIZZCUZZ
Last edited by Jan_miguel; May 25, 2010 at 04:07 AM.
Ahhhh, finally now I know what DOTA means.

Tried to play this game at one of the local internet cafes, sucked for me, but really famous in the Philippines (lots of people get addicted to it :/ )
oi m8 i rekt ur mum last nite
though some totally reach kids in philippines switched to HoN :/

*cough*ASPIRE*cough*
miguels right :P
anyways add some hero details
Got Cra..i mean uh...Cranberries?
DotA is widely regarded as one of the worst made maps in history. Its internal code is so poor that it is extremely prone to bugs, and Blizzard has had to release some 'DotA' only fixes just to make it work. The map size is also ridiculously big, and makes a lot of mappers wonder what in god's name Ice put in it to make it so massive.

In mapping circles IceFrog is also known as a massive tool, because he reaps in fame and recognition for a map that he didn't even make. He is at best a janitor keeping the map clean.

DotA was really badly thought out, a cheap clone of AoS. Where AoS promoted team work and finesse, DotA encourages solo play, and kill stealing.

This map only became popular by having a massive botnet (not sure who it was funded by). And it has been proven that you can quickly and easily get a map as popular using the same tactic.

Besides that, there was an even better AoS, Tides of Blood, which came before DotA. It was a marvel of coding and art, now that is definitely worth a play. ToB was once bigger than DotA is now, but then the guys who made it became inactive, and so it died.

DotA? No thanks.
Originally Posted by Jan_miguel View Post
they died?

there still making new maps and your saying they died?

No, he said ToB died because the creators became inactive.
@Gorman: I didn't know that. I've always had fun with DotA though :3
LIGHTING FROM MY EYES
The guys who made ToB are still alive =D
Their artist now works freelance on concept art, and their programmers went on to other projects.

EDIT: I like your 4chan avy there ninja, but maybe you should change the speech bubble colour XD