Ranking
Original Post
Permanent OP
I really think the room creator should be permanently Opped. So if you op someone they don't rage and deoperate you and add a ban you.
Bringer of Hell
Originally Posted by Lagel View Post
Sure GM's may be here for reasons to help out and they may "always be at our disposal", but what's so bad about implementing something to rid of alot of problems. I've only had a server hijacked once, but i've been in a server that's been hijacked multiple times. I don't see why implementing something as simple as this is bad, or why you'd even object against it.
Completely supported.

It's not to say anyone opposed to something thinks it's bad. But I don't think something needs to be created in order to stop something that is solely the fault of the original channel owner.

Regarding hijacked servers, it simply comes down to the rule of thumb: don't OP someone you do not trust as well as always set an owner pass if you plan to leave and come back. No in-game admins are needed to be called nor do the devs need to create something to prevent server "hijackings". Like I said above as the OP you don't OP anyone else you don't trust for any reason. If you get your server taken it's on you, always.

Originally Posted by DropKick
I think this is a good idea, people when responding always try to shoot down ideas however:

1. There are constant complaints of people getting their server jacked which then requires a GM to be called to help fix it. The common response is "OMG dont op people you dont trust" well obviously it's too late and maybe you thought you COULD trust them. If this was a feature this would never even be a problem. So it's stupid to say "Don't op people you don't trust" because that wouldn't even matter with this implantation. Fully would stop any trolls. THIS IDEA STOPS THOSE PROBLEMS, THAT'S THE POINT OF A SUGGESTION

I think constant complaints is an over exaggeration. This solves problems of dumb OPs OPing someone incapable of having power and willing to take your server and your OP. Rather than create a whole system to stop it, don't you think it's a little easier on the devs if everyone gets some common sense? Rather than the devs having to create different things in order to prevent dumb people from doing a dumb thing and complaining about how they were wronged in the situation?

This is like planning a murder with someone, giving them your knife, then getting killed by the person you gave your knife to. It's your fault, and clearly you put your trust in the wrong person. Now, the Toribash situation isn't as harsh but I think you get my point.
2. You often OP someone to keep the server alive when you leave your room, when you come back later ofc the /owner has been changed and they may refuse to OP you. If you are the creator of the server you should have the rights to be Op'd again so with this feature you could be

What point is there to keep your server alive if you are leaving? I think it's common knowledge that you can set an owner pass, so do that and when you come back you avoid this problem altogether. If you aren't coming back for let's say a few hours, then at that point you might as well make a new server if you want to be OP so bad.

3. If you lag out or ping before/forgot to set an owner password you can still come back and be opped because it is your server, and once again a GM doesn't have to be involved.

Always set an owner pass when you start your server. It's that simple no need for a whole system around it.

4. This wouldn't be hard to do, and would save constant complaints or asking for someone to come into their server and OP them. This implantation doesn't even hurt anyone or anything and only causes a positive result.

Again with the constant complaints, I think in the grand scheme of reports and complaints, server hijacking is fairly low on the list. If this really was a huge amount of players complaining about this constantly and constantly, there would be an announcement somewhere saying how to prevent this with common sense rather than coding.
Pushing powder down my musket so I may smite another opp.
I put a switch and a beam on my blunderbuss, your hood is not safe.
After all i think that you can't always trust the right person. In some situations like betting servers, or clan wars it is extremely important to prevent scams, and IMHO players should be granted with that power.
/rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt /rt
You can't truly trust someone you don't know in real life. They can turn on you at any given time.
Bringer of Hell
Originally Posted by Seihareach View Post
Well, you can just de-op the person then kick them and set max client to the amount of people are in the server then you won't be able to join again. It's simple, add levels of OPs with different permissions.

/vip add [yournamehere]
That's what this command is for, so that you could join your room when it's full.

Originally Posted by tomczo2000 View Post
After all i think that you can't always trust the right person. In some situations like betting servers, or clan wars it is extremely important to prevent scams, and IMHO players should be granted with that power.

Don't host betting servers with strangers, don't op strangers during clan wars. Once again, there are no rules that say you should do that. If they are whining about not getting OP - don't play with them.
It happens all the time, sir. You get in serious tight spots. I am thankful for the people who helped me, but it doesn't always go that way. The creator should be able to bestow perm op to others and deduct it from himself too (etc) and I think this would be a great idea. props to the dude who thought of this.

Sir, the rules don't really make anything easy. It is pretty hard to run a bet server without help, so this would be a good idea. (Insured server) It might need to include a new, interesting symbol and color too :3. Yeah, that is too far there.
Last edited by Link; Aug 26, 2014 at 07:06 PM.
Chickster: I literally don't know why I did it.
The idea of perm op is not needed but the ideo of giving people different permissions is not that bad. I could see it being usefull to give someone half op. This would definatley eliminate some problems. But, sir is 100% correct. You should never op someone unless you know who they are. If you don't trust someone 100% percent, do not op them and if you believe that your server can be taken over by someone else, do not op anyone.

I can not deny that some good points have been brought up. The half-op idea presented was great, and I can only assume that the full op idea presented was the same idea, just phrased in a different way.

To sum up all that I said and everything I think, full op is a horrible idea, the different permissions idea is actually good, you should never op someone you do not trust, and you should do not have to op the other team when waring.
A hasbeen like the rest
Originally Posted by dannyrug View Post
The idea of perm op is not needed but the ideo of giving people different permissions is not that bad. I could see it being usefull to give someone half op. This would definatley eliminate some problems. But, sir is 100% correct. You should never op someone unless you know who they are. If you don't trust someone 100% percent, do not op them and if you believe that your server can be taken over by someone else, do not op anyone.

I can not deny that some good points have been brought up. The half-op idea presented was great, and I can only assume that the full op idea presented was the same idea, just phrased in a different way.

To sum up all that I said and everything I think, full op is a horrible idea, the different permissions idea is actually good, you should never op someone you do not trust, and you should do not have to op the other team when waring.

Different permissions would help also.
-----
Originally Posted by sir View Post
/vip add [yournamehere]
That's what this command is for, so that you could join your room when it's full.

Don't host betting servers with strangers, don't op strangers during clan wars. Once again, there are no rules that say you should do that. If they are whining about not getting OP - don't play with them.

Thanks for that command. But why is that command not listed in the commands list?
-----
Oh one more question, what if the OP bans the VIP username from the server?
Last edited by Seihareach; Aug 28, 2014 at 05:46 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Bringer of Hell
Once banned from a server, you are unable to get back in, even if you VIP yourself. VIP is there just in case you ping, and the lobby is full.

In my last post, I was agreeing that different permissions would be a great idea. That would definitely alleviate some of the issues that are currently happening. As for clan wars, do not op the other clan just in-case, and always keep in mind that you should only op people that you can trust.
A hasbeen like the rest
Originally Posted by dannyrug View Post
Once banned from a server, you are unable to get back in, even if you VIP yourself. VIP is there just in case you ping, and the lobby is full.

In my last post, I was agreeing that different permissions would be a great idea. That would definitely alleviate some of the issues that are currently happening. As for clan wars, do not op the other clan just in-case, and always keep in mind that you should only op people that you can trust.

Got it, and thank you.
Bringer of Hell