Ranking
Original Post
help modifying a computer
I have a precision 390 and i want to maximize it's potential i guess.

GPU is ATI FireGL V3400
CPU is Intel Core Duo
not sure the rest of the specs
they could possibly be here

what should i replace first? (with an explanation)

I want to edit and game.
Last edited by Velair; Dec 25, 2016 at 02:30 AM.
damn im gettin old
Edit what and play which games, because if it's "video" and "new", I'd have to recommend building a new computer from scratch. The GPU is ancient, the CPU is ancient, and thus correspondingly the motherboard is likely ancient.

To get quality gaming performance out of this computer, you'll need to replace at least the power supply and the GPU. To get quality video editing performance, you'll need to replace the power supply, motherboard, and CPU.

However, if you are, in fact, dead set on keeping this particular computer, I would recommend buying a 500W power supply (not the cheapest available either, preferably something modular just for the meaningful cable management) and a GTX 1050 or GTX 1050Ti, or comparable AMD card if you can find one. The graphics card is the singular greatest component in determining whether games will play well on your computer, with the exception of 2D games (GPU benefits aren't that noticeable there), CPU intensive games (like Minecraft can be), and RAM intensive games (haven't found anything besides Dwarf Fortress for that, but there you have it).

If you want to upgrade your GPU to something meaningful, I would 100% recommend also replacing the power supply. Low quality power supplies (like the ones prebuilt desktops tend to come with) are not things you want to play around with the specification limits on. 500W is probably all you'll need, especially if you go with a GTX 1050, but your current PSU looks to only be 375W.

However, your system is still running DDR2 RAM, which is ancient. Please, PLEASE consider building a brand new computer. You likely will get better performance out of $500 spent on brand new components and putting them all together than you will out of any easy tweaks of your current system.
Squad Squad Squad lead?
The standardization of Toribash Squad roles may have gone too far!
It is not possible to upgrade this properly to justify the price/performance ratio. Concider this one dead and build a new one.
Got any problems or questions about computers or any other tech?Feel free to PM me any time. Lmod for Computer/Mobile Chat
As they said above ^

There really is no point replacing any parts to that PC because you pretty much should have to replace almost everything to get a better/good/stable performance.

How much were you willing to spend into the parts in the first place?
"raawr says the dinosaur right?"
~◆~
[OSHI,TA,OoT,RMO]
if that's the case, i'll probably just build from scratch.

and my budget for a pc rn is like $600
damn im gettin old
That's a fair budget. PM me your Discord and I'll help.
| Leader of FC | Loans | ABD Enthusiast |