Ranking
The case is that people seems fine with it as long as it is put some work into mapping it into a head. But I still don't really see the point. Mapping it perfectly doesn't take more than 3 min if you know what you are doing.
You were faster than me Ezeth.

I think C/P takes the fun out of texturing.
The whole part is to make something YOU made right?
Why would you use work of someone else then?

I think it's fine to use textures, like wood and metal, but I prefer making that from scratch
as well.

In my eyes, there's only ONE thing important: Your OWN style.
Fr3styL . Improving by Improvising
I'm an artist.
Looks like me and alpha have the complete same view on this ;3 lol

Im also adding that people do this just because they are greedy sometimes, Its really a shame to see straight off google images.
Originally Posted by aslask View Post
I really don't have a problem with copy+pasted sets. You see, textures is not what I would call art. Art is what makes you stop and think about something, whilst Toribash textures are sheets to make your doll look cooler than the other dolls.

If you're making a copy/paste set for yourself, I see no reason why people should flip out and yell at you. The case is, however, very different if you're selling it. If that's the case, you should inform the buyer about this, so that the buyer knows that no effort was really put down.

So, summed up, I'm in favor of C/P'ing if people do it right, do it for themselves, inform whoever's buying it and not at least: If they make it look good. Because that's what it all boils down to.

If you can do that with a set, it's art right?
I disagree that textures aren't art. People including myself
put lots of time in it to make the tori look like something else.
I think it's definitely art, if you seem to manage to make Tori
look like a completely different thing.

And that's another reason C&P wont work, or you will need A LOT
of different pictures, it will look weird otherwise.
Fr3styL . Improving by Improvising
I'm an artist.
I agree with Aslask's point. If you just C&P to wear it on your Tori, then why should other people have an issue with it? On the other hand, if you attempt to sell a copy-pasted texture, that's kinda fucked up.
>>The Official Guv'na Fan Club<<
o7[OLDA] pride, world wide o7

He who was the butt of the joke reserves no right to say "that wasn't funny."
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Originally Posted by skura View Post
i'm think if c/p is for HQ set's and reality, but U must always remember about drawing. not simple copy paste

is that why u copy paste? JUST JOKING

my views? i same as skura
hanz0:Very well done. These annoy me much less than the default smilies we've got right now.
Well, I was expecting something like this after the bubbling about c/p in GATA. (I was planning on making a thread myself, but I think your worded it better than I would've)

I like to separate copy pasting into three different tiers. 1 is the most basic: taking a random image and mirroring it without any editing. Good for self, but IMO these textures should not be sold for too much. 2 is done with editing, doing minor changes to lines, lining objects up correctly, etc. I'd call that the cutoff for being acceptable. Of course, I think there should be more edit than paste. Then there is heavy manipulation, the hardest level. So pretty much just copy pasting to directly base shading off of. Ideally, the artist should smoothen out all the grain that is in most stock images, make the saturation fit that of toribash, take care of all seams, even the top, tweak shading to fit the head, etc. Hell, even make it look hand drawn. By this point you are doing enough to actually learn from the work. Hopefully, you'll learn enough to be able to draw the shades from memory, create anything you want, and be free of needing a source.

I really wouldn't mind c/p at all if it was all the third way, cuz then, they will be able to improve each time, and that is what GATA is all about: improving your techniques.

Also, I sometimes see textures with half cp, half self drawn. The problem with these are that unless your shading is up to par with reality, the c/p stands out too much and makes the hand drawn look too bad. While you may try to do this with the intention of weaning yourself off of c/p,it'd be more effective and look better to just go cold turkey. You CAN do it!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

DarkJak's Wide-Range Texture Shop[LINK]

Incognito - [o]
Yes, in most cases the work it takes to make a 60/70/80/90% copypasted head is more work than making the head itself.

And Yeah, its basically because of the GATA discussion , wanted to see what the others though.
Art is a reflection of talent.

If you take a google image and slap it onto a Tori's thigh, you must ask yourself how much talent that requires.

However, if you take a base image, edit it, add your own details, and take the time to properly map and display the image, then it's art.

I like to think that a great artist can take his talent and apply it to any medium, so long as it relates to his strength (not saying the painters should be able to sculpt, but that they should be able to paint on a variety of canvases, so to speak).

For an example of how C&P should be done, look at TomPaine's work.
back from the dead
Originally Posted by Oyster View Post
If you take a google image and slap it onto a Tori's thigh, you must ask yourself how much talent that requires.

However, if you take a base image, edit it, add your own details, and take the time to properly map and display the image, then it's art.

Correct, although this is where the concept gets confused a lot. On one side, you have the people who just want to decorate their toridoll and play the game, they're not trying to make art or sell the textures. On the other side is the artists, and of course, artists have their code. This code is obviously infringed when someone mostly copy-pastes, adds some bells and whistles then calls it his "art."
>>The Official Guv'na Fan Club<<
o7[OLDA] pride, world wide o7

He who was the butt of the joke reserves no right to say "that wasn't funny."
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]