Toribash
Original Post
[Study] | General Striking Development
If you don't use them now I guarantee you tried one somewhere in your early belt ranks. I figured this would be a good start for [TA] to explore the mechanics of striking in aikido mods.
Personally i have limited experience with successful sidekicks. Sometimes it will get me a frac or two on my opponent but its rare i get a dismemberment. (but ill show the lucky few replays i have).

So I would like everybody reading this to contribute some sort of information or experience and maybe we can actually get something done as a whole organization.

First lets point out the obvious:
-Kicking hip contracts, base hip extends.
-Whichever leg is kicking, that same side arm will swing back to counter balance.
-Pecs and chest should rotate in the opposite direction that the kicking leg is moving. (Kick to the right, Rotate Left).
-Kick through your opponent!! You don't want your leg to be fully extended before it hits its target. Kick as if you want to slice all the way through to the other side. You see here my leg is still very bent upon impact.

The Thai Kick: In the world of real Mixed Martial Arts the general opinion is that the muay thai discipline has the most powerful side kick from standing position. Let me show you.

Thai Kick

Questions:
-How should the kicking ankle be set? Relaxed would give the most speed but contracted or extended could give a more blunt impact.
-What's our target? I've seen a lot of arm dm's from kicking upwards into the armpit. Also i think under the abs is a weak spot bc it's where the upper and lower body is connected.
-Follow up? If the kick doesn't dismember your opponent. What are good follow up combinations? I found one which is to invert the rotation and throw a hard punch with the original kicking leg as a counter balance. Sort of like a superman punch. (bad example but you get my point)
-Glutes? This is a mystery to me. I feel the base glute should be extending and the kicking hip varies. Or maybe it's always situational for both.

Even if you're not a striker you can contribute something. Like what are good counters.
Attached Files
muay thai - combo.rpl (55.4 KB, 30 views)
muay thai - side kick.rpl (35.7 KB, 23 views)
muay thai - side kick (3).rpl (24.9 KB, 14 views)
muay thai - side kick (2).rpl (35.7 KB, 31 views)
Last edited by footlox; Nov 9, 2015 at 03:16 AM.
Leader of the Spyder House
Toribash Martial Artists