Ranking
Original Post
New Types of threads.
Hey guys, so if you're forum active and on the buying/selling boards a lot, you've probably noticed that I've tried to open new types of threads recently.

I've been on TB for roughly 2 years. And in all that time, there have only been [B][T][S]&[R] for threads. I was wondering why no one has tried to use a different kind of thread. I know the rules say you must have one of those four on your thread title, but why not have something else aswell? I just opened a thread with the titles [P], [L], & [Ap] for Pawn, Loan, Appraisal respectively.

The Pawning is explained on my thread here

Loans being giving people TC so that they can repay it at a later date with a $ interest at a later agreed upon date.

Appraisals being looking at art and giving my opinion on how much the art is worth.

I feel there are so many more options out there that are different from the buying, selling, trading, and requests that we've confined ourselves to.

What are some other forms of threads that could work?
Is my idea bad? If so, why?
Should we stick to the current Buying, Selling, Trading, and Requests?
Go ahead and post your ideas below, I would love to discuss this.
Last edited by MoldyRobot; Feb 17, 2016 at 11:18 PM.
This looks more like suggestions material.
Need help?
Creati0n says: still my favorite. <3
I sacrificed my firstborn for this great human being to join (M) ~R
Just Use Thunder!
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
This looks more like suggestions material.

Ty
Originally Posted by Clovermouth View Post
loans could be under [s] since you're making a profit

Yeah, but it isn't selling tc, its loaning it to make a profit.
Originally Posted by MoldyRobot View Post
I've been on TB for roughly 2 years. And in all that time, there have only been [B][T][S]&[R] for threads. I was wondering why no one has tried to use a different kind of thread. I know the rules say you must have one of those four on your thread title, but why not have something else aswell?

Loans (do happen already, just not on the Market board) are likely to get messy at some stage or another. What happens when people aren't able to earn the TC back, or the person who is loaning out the TC becomes impatient with the amount of time it's taking to get paid back. If this were to happen, there would have to be very strict rules, and even then, the hassle it could cause is pretty absurd. Just more workload for staff.

Appraisals being looking at art and giving my opinion on how much the art is worth.

This feels pretty pointless. There is already The Price Check Megathread. It could be updated to the point where it states that art is included, but there seems no point having multiple "Appraisal" threads where you're going to be getting one and the same answer.

I feel there are so many more options out there that are different from the buying, selling, trading, and requests that we've confined ourselves to.

What are some other forms of threads that could work?
Is my idea bad? If so, why?
Should we stick to the current Buying, Selling, Trading, and Requests?
Go ahead and post your ideas below, I would love to discuss this.

Why fix what isn't broken? Update what is around already.

EDIT:
If you're looking to set up a Pawn rule/thread/whatever, best to define and refine what actually goes on during and after said process. As is, it's pretty hard to understand what you're saying + BIG walls of text, size 7 letters, don't really get people reading, paying attention/interested.
Last edited by Deuteria; Feb 18, 2016 at 06:34 AM.
Originally Posted by Deuteria View Post
Loans (do happen already, just not on the Market board) are likely to get messy at some stage or another. What happens when people aren't able to earn the TC back, or the person who is loaning out the TC becomes impatient with the amount of time it's taking to get paid back. If this were to happen, there would have to be very strict rules, and even then, the hassle it could cause is pretty absurd. Just more workload for staff.

This feels pretty pointless. There is already The Price Check Megathread. It could be updated to the point where it states that art is included, but there seems no point having multiple "Appraisal" threads where you're going to be getting one and the same answer.

Why fix what isn't broken? Update what is around already.

EDIT:
If you're looking to set up a Pawn rule/thread/whatever, best to define and refine what actually goes on during and after said process. As is, it's pretty hard to understand what you're saying + BIG walls of text, size 7 letters, don't really get people reading, paying attention/interested.

TB doesn't support loans, and I thought that instead of having people provide bad screenshots of what happens in game on a report board when people don't pay, that a thread where people can record who they paid loans to and how much they owe/should be getting. And Marketeers tend to be very strict when dealing with TC. There could be a format for doing loans on the forums and if that format isn't followed, then the loan is not backed by TB.

The Price Check Megathread could never work for the art market because Art is not like items. Art fluctuates with several different factors. Such as if its a complex set: is anything c/p? Are there interchangeable clan sweatbands, are there different colors? Is the artist FurryMonk or some random Joe? etc. The Megathread is based off of experienced people selling items based on market price and what they're bought/sold for. A new thread just for art could be opened such as "The Art Value Megathread." This could be run by people who know art and artists intimately. Plus Appraisals are based on how the market is going. The Price Check Megathread will always have a price-range. (e.g. SWAG Cap is always between 7k-12k) But art is different based on who is viewing it and their experience with art. People love to see why people think different sets are good. Because there is a difference between "'Hey, is that set good?' 'Yeah!' 'Why?' 'I dunno, because of the green lines.'" And "Hey, is that set good?' 'Yeah!' 'Why?' 'Because of the way the lines map up between the body textures and joints is so fluid. Plus the artist is Advens, so that really ups the price.'" Plus, everyone appraises differently. I guarantee FurryPrints and I have different ways of telling how much a set is worth.

I believe the system has room to grow, I'm not trying to fix it, I'm trying to break through the flawed system that is keeping us contained to such little ideas.

Although, I agree on the wall-o-text. I meant to break it up with some images, but I was on mobile when I wrote it.
Originally Posted by MoldyRobot
TB doesn't support loans

There's probably a reason for this.

A new thread just for art could be opened such as "The Art Value Megathread." This could be run by people who know art and artists intimately. Plus Appraisals are based on how the market is going.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner! One thread.

everyone appraises differently. I guarantee FurryPrints and I have different ways of telling how much a set is worth."

You're most likely right. There's no sure way to valuate art accurately - 'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder'. We can however, hope to get a value relative to a person's opinion, but even then there is massive room for error. What if one person massively undervalues a piece of art, while another sits on the margin - meanwhile a quiet person sits over in the corner and thinks about paying 400,000 TC more than the averaged price? So what is the point of having a thread where you are going to potentially get such a massive variety of opinions? Most people that buy and sell on the Art/Textures board already have an idea of what they think their art is worth, or for how much they wish to sell it for. People that are new to the 'scene' will mostly just look around at similar pieces of art and take a gander.

the system has room to grow

For sure. Just needs some concise ideas.
I don't know about the tags you suggested here but more tags would be nice. The only thing is finding appropriate tags for what other things the majority of the community do besides sell, trade, auction, request and buy on the item thread. But when you think of it, that's really all people do. I suppose give-aways could have its own tag for the item thread. Because currently there is no set place to do give aways, just a lot of places where you can not.
blue
pink
Originally Posted by Deuteria View Post
There's probably a reason for this.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner! One thread.

You're most likely right. There's no sure way to valuate art accurately - 'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder'. We can however, hope to get a value relative to a person's opinion, but even then there is massive room for error. What if one person massively undervalues a piece of art, while another sits on the margin - meanwhile a quiet person sits over in the corner and thinks about paying 400,000 TC more than the averaged price? So what is the point of having a thread where you are going to potentially get such a massive variety of opinions? Most people that buy and sell on the Art/Textures board already have an idea of what they think their art is worth, or for how much they wish to sell it for. People that are new to the 'scene' will mostly just look around at similar pieces of art and take a gander.

For sure. Just needs some concise ideas.

I agree with everything you've said. I think an art appraisal board is a great idea just like the price check mega thread, but for art.

Originally Posted by Kradel View Post
I don't know about the tags you suggested here but more tags would be nice. The only thing is finding appropriate tags for what other things the majority of the community do besides sell, trade, auction, request and buy on the item thread. But when you think of it, that's really all people do. I suppose give-aways could have its own tag for the item thread. Because currently there is no set place to do give aways, just a lot of places where you can not.

So a tag like [GA], [CE], and [PE] (giveaways, clan event, and paid entry) could be useful. Or a new board for Giveaways/tournies could be opened. Because I agree that there are a lot of rules to prohibit what we can do and not many that tell us what we can do.