Ranking
Originally Posted by sir View Post
EDIT:

They're used widely (except for spiritwrestling) now, so what's the purpose of this thread then? If it was to prove that the current choice of mods is fine - why is this discussion a thing?

No idea why the thread was made, it is pretty obvious that these are the mods people want (as they are the ones played).
Originally Posted by sir View Post
My argument is that forcing people to play new complicated mods they've never heard of in ranked fights would be horrible. First make a mod and get it popular, then suggest it being used in ranked rooms / matchmaking.
valetudo is a mod that isn't really played now but older aikido players heard of it (I'm pretty sure at least snake did). Anyway, the thing isn't that I suggested valetudo to be used instead of aikido but that the simplest way to fix shoveling issue is to make engagedistance higher. Yes the gameplay won't be the same but at least you won't have to explain a regular player all the settings with a wall of text / charts / images.
No issues with snake (even now when he doesn't bother to read my post and pretty much breaks discussion rules but whatever), it's apparently him who thinks me and hampa are the same person and thus behaves weird. He's got some good suggestions sometimes but he can't stand any criticism and that's usually the reason why he isn't taken seriously.
As for condemning most popular mods - I don't think I do that. Yes I think that erthtkv2 is bad and I proved why earlier, that's probably the only currently popular mod that I dislike and don't understand why it's even being suggested as a competitive substitution for taekkyon. Other mods are more or less fine from my opinion but it weirds me that the group of people "trying to make toribash competitive" take some of them out and suggest replacements that either make you cry because of how boring they are to play or suggest substitutions that have the same exact problems.
Also quick note: if a mod makes you play the only way modmaker wanted it to be played, it doesn't mean it's good.

EDIT:

They're used widely (except for spiritwrestling) now, so what's the purpose of this thread then? If it was to prove that the current choice of mods is fine - why is this discussion a thing?

Your whole post is incredibly misguided.
First of all about Erthtkv2, nobody has proven it to be a bad mod. Sure it can be improved slightly. But if Erth says its bad its badm its bad? wtf? Erth doesnt play competitively, he plays for fun? Also there are people who know taekkyon better than him at this point who think erthtk is better. If we were to play 10 games of erthtk Id probably go 8-2 agaisnt you. How does that not classify as a competitive mod if my winrate agaisnt medium-good players is consistently high.

"I dislike and don't understand why it's even being suggested as a competitive substitution for taekkyon"

If you think Taekkyon is more competitive im just going to ignore everything you say from now on.

"now, so what's the purpose of this thread then? If it was to prove that the current choice of mods is fine - why is this discussion a thing?"

Because something is "good", it doesn't mean people shouldn't strive to make things better. Are you trolling or are you seriously this handicapped.

You came here to shit on the thread with no actual input. Please leave.
And my point would be that the mods that do get exposure are the ones approved by the staff and duel community. I won't say it's definitely so, but new mods don't really have a chance because of previous reasons.
I think I do understand what you're saying, though. There are really three groups of people in toribash. The beginners, the casuals, and the elitists. Because these groups are so different in preference, it might be necessary to have three categories for them. Let me show you what I mean:

Beginners - you've just started the game and need some simple mods to start with that feel satisfying and makes you familiar with the game. Beginners tend to play mushu, twinswords, and jousting.

Casuals - people who don't take the game seriously, but are relatively advanced players. Abd, greykido, ninjutsu, erthtk, and mushu are popular among then. (I mention erthtk specifically because it's more satisfying and simple from my experience)

Then we have the elitists, who want a fair and fun fight. They're arguably the most advanced and dedicated in the community. And they feel restricted by the mods because of their imperfections, so they create soft rules. The new mods are attempts to make their fights more interesting. Wushu3, brushu, lenshu3ng and aikido7 are the most interesting to those.

Keep in mind this is generalisation.
We might have to form the matchmaking after these groups to make everyone happy. Compromises will only turn people away from the game.

Duh, the idea is to refine the list so a few clicks puts you in a match without waiting for your turn. The problem is that everyone have different preferences as explained above.
Last edited by Lazors; Aug 23, 2015 at 05:06 PM.
Brendan (he who passeth judgement on the frequent changing of signatures): I don't do hentai anymore
Originally Posted by FistofLife View Post
No idea why the thread was made, it is pretty obvious that these are the mods people want (as they are the ones played).

There's a pretty big difference inbetween what people want to compete in, and what's optimal for competition. First reason being people want to win, obviously, so they'll choose mod(s) they know and in which they think they can cheese easily, even if those mods have huge flaws.

It's what happens with scrub mods like judo, mushu, abd etc... those probably are the first mods fresh scrubs have been able to win fights in because random as frack, so they stick to those and think they'll be #1 in that mod in no time... And they all think the same thing and they all stay scrubs together for the rest of their lives. 3 years later they try a new mod and realize they're shit, and then go back to their old scrub mod or quit toribash.

Something played and popular doesn't necessarily means it's consistent for competition. Sir is right tho, it's hard to force people to play mods they never heard of before for ranked matchs and clanwars, but you can @ Sir xD

As for my suit of Striking mods, we'll see in a month or two when people will have heard about them more. Or as Fist said, could be tried for a month to see how people react. But for now you guys can stick with lenshu3ng, rk-mma and wushubox... they're broken, old and unbalanced but I guess it's better than nothing for now. It's "fun".
Last edited by deprav; Aug 23, 2015 at 06:11 PM.
I think I do understand what you're saying, though. There are really three groups of people in toribash. The beginners, the casuals, and the elitists. Because these groups are so different in preference, it might be necessary to have three categories for them. Let me show you what I mean:

There is indeed separation. I don't understand why would matchmaking require special mods and no aikido / judo most "scrubs" play though. It doesn't necessarily need to be always ranked - if the idea is to let people play without waiting so that the game was more fun, they should be able to choose whether they want it ranked or not. More stupid stuff that beginners and casuals play in unranked - and several most popular mods we have in ranked rooms for ranked are going to be just fine imo. If elitists want a weird mod they can test yourself in, there'll be a high elo ranked room starting next month where they can play it. There aren't that many elitist players to have some specific mods only they will play included in matchmaking if it has a fixed range of mods - but if there are people willing to play something weird, I'm sure it'd be possible to set such mods on rotation and have them as one mod option.

Originally Posted by deprav
As for my suit of Striking mods, we'll see in a month or two when people will have heard about them more.

This is what I'm talking about, yes. Let's first wait and see what people think of these mods, and if they want to play them on official level - why not.
Last edited by sir; Aug 23, 2015 at 05:54 PM.
having played the mod I think it takes too long for people to stay interested, also the point system, although undoubtedly thoroughly worked out ends up weird.

so weird in fact the person who won was pretty much a coin toss, I went pretty much 50/50, despite the fact that the people I was playing with were considerably better than me at striking and striking mods in general.
Don't dm me pictures of bowls that you find attractive.
Mind I'm not trying to white knight my mods to get them official asap, I'm just answering for educative purpose so people understand the mods. As sir said, only time and recognition will prove they belong on the competitive list.

Originally Posted by SmallBowl View Post
having played the mod I think it takes too long for people to stay interested

I don't think that's an issue. You can't make competitive mods and feel concerned about what players in public queues think. The longer a striking mod is, the more time players have to take a clear advantage and show a real domination on their opponent ; classic mods are too short and lack a feeling of accomplishment when you finish a fight. It's frustrating as hell.

That's why, ideally, the meta/goals of those mods should focus almost only on points (and DQ), and time shouldn't be a concern ; which is what we're trying to do with the Grand Opening tournament's format and win conditions.
If someone joins a competition or play on competitive lobby in order to win, you don't have to worry about keeping the queue "interested", the competition and trying to win and achieve something rewarding, and the material reward for doing so, is what primarily interest people. As for competitive lobbies, we've been told the amount of rooms isn't a concern anymore.

also the point system, although undoubtedly thoroughly worked out ends up weird.

Weird how ? I'd like concrete exemples or replays so I can see what people think is/was weird and either explain what happened or fix it if something is indeed weird.

Tho yes, it's different. The damage threshold + redistribution makes it way easier to defend your scoring parts, and way harder to score decent hits. It rebalances the whole meta of the striking mods. It's easier to defend, but it's WAY HARDER to play defensively AND score points when you camp because you mostly end up having poor positions to attack your opponent's scoring parts, and it's way easier for him to take the fight to you in a safe engaging-position and put his limbs inbetween a shitty readable position and his scoring parts.

so weird in fact the person who won was pretty much a coin toss, I went pretty much 50/50, despite the fact that the people I was playing with were considerably better than me at striking and striking mods in general.

Well, first those players weren't probably as good as you/they think they are. And second, the mods are pretty recent. Only a few players started assimilating the changes and adapted to them properly yet. It's kind of a fresh start, people have new things to learn to be able to play them in an optimal way.
Most players still play like they're playing the classic mods -since that's how they learned- and despite the fact you can still use the "classic style" effectively if done properly, it's been nerfed pretty hard.

On all the matchs I have seen during the tourneys I hosted with those mods, even if the winner wasn't the better player or the one you expected, it always was the one who fought they best fight, and took the best decisions.
Also, I've said it a few times but best remind people : those mods aren't finalized yet, and won't be finalized as long as we can't apply the "damage to score threshold" to the "point trigger" system, in order to completely eliminate all remaining traces of rubbing damages and eventual random points outcome when clinching.
They also need to totally get rid of the "time" aspect and have a win condition of their own (win by reaching a pre-defined amount of points, aka "lifebar") in order to put the emphasis on the fight rather than keeping a point advantage and play the time (which is already harder with long matchframes).
But in the meantime they're still more consistent and interesting to play than the classic mods.

Those mods also serve a long term goal, which is having an eye-candy & public-friendly competitive scene. Grappling mods and kicking/hybrid mods are cool to play, but they're a boring mess to watch for the untrained eyes of a beginner. Like tk for instance, you understand what happens if you watch a match in direct-live and know what the mod is about, but the subtilities won't ever show on a replay, you just see 2 people rapidly flailing at each other and losing parts. Same for aikido mods, you can't completely appreciate the subtilities and the dynamic of the fight as a spectator.
With Striking mods it's a whole other story, high level fights are impressive, the longer turnframes make the movements clear and comprehensible by any audience, you see the dynamic, the hits, the dodges, the blocks, it looks neat as fuck, and if Toribash ever wants an appealing "e-sport" aspect, that's where the fuck it's at. It's hard, fun, challenging, consistent, and sweet to watch.

But well, replays speak louder than words !

Edit : Wow, that post turned out to be way bigger than expected.
Attached Files
08 22 HG 1.rpl (231.9 KB, 7 views)
08 22 HG 2.rpl (159.6 KB, 5 views)
08 22 HG 3.rpl (233.5 KB, 5 views)
08 22 HG 4.rpl (225.8 KB, 4 views)
08 23 MG.rpl (174.4 KB, 3 views)
Last edited by deprav; Aug 24, 2015 at 06:19 AM.
Originally Posted by deprav View Post
I don't think that's an issue. You can't make competitive mods and feel concerned about what players in public queues think. The longer a striking mod is, the more time players have to take a clear advantage and show a real domination on their opponent ; classic mods are too short and lack a feeling of accomplishment when you finish a fight. It's frustrating as hell.

The striking mod seems pretty nice but fractures seem to contradict the whole thing.
From what I see it's 30tf 1200mf though. That's 40 turns. I think normal mods have about 12 turns, I can see me lose interest even as a player. Allowing for comebacks and extending the fight is nice but you shouldn't make it longer than a brushu match. 20-25 turns should be more than enough. You don't have to pet players and allow them to comeback from everything. Even if there's no queue in matchmaking it will probably be promoted to clanleague and other events. And everyone hates super long matches. Especially if you have to play plenty of those.

Ontopic:
What system will the matchmaking be? I think a modlist with ~5 very different mods and the ability to ban 2 mods prematch would be nice. Forces you to focus on at least 3 mods and adds some strategic value.

judofrac - hell no, a 70 tf mod for competitive play?!

tk/erthtk -personally I prefer tk, I always considered erthtk a bit awkward to play but I lack the experience with erthtk to make a judgement here

lenshu3ng - that's a given

wushu - box whatever version

aikidobd in favor of spiritwrestling - you can't argue with people streaking like crazy against less experienced players there even though I consider it to be one of the most boring mods ever

and for 5th one of the striking mods.
Oblivion: that wasn't hilarious
Oblivion: it was brilliantly complex though
Oblivion: hands down man
Oblivion: today I genuinely believe more than I ever did before
Oblivion: that you are better than me
Oblivion: gg NutHug

Like my stuff?
Join my FunClub or subscribe on Youtube
Yeah I might change the fracs, I thought 180 would be alright since it was higher than Rk-mma's and lenshu's frac threshold, but then I realized they had no frac flags to begin with ;o So i'll probably just raise the threshold (like 280 frac, 300 dm).

The "casual" versions of the Striking mods have 20 turns, and I halve the matchframes of the 40 turns mods when we host tourneys, I agree 20 is enough for public/ranked rooms.
BUT, the 40 turns mods have been made for the sake of our org's events : Since we ask players to score a given amount of points in order to win their matchs, and in an unlimited amount of fights (trying to get rid of the time constraint to focus on fighting, as said on previous post), raising the number of turns means reducing the amount of "opener phases" per match (when based on points), it also allows for longer term strategies/tactics, you have less doubts about taking a couple of turns to re-position yourself toward the center of the dojo, or go around your opponent who's camping in a position that annoys you, or waste 1 or 2 turns to breath etc... The longer the matchs are, the more interesting they become on all levels ;o
But ideally, the lifebar would make it so you don't play the whole 40 turns if you reach the required amount of points before.

Also, when someone joins any widely played competitive game (CS, LoL etc...), they don't join to play for 15mins. When you sign up for that kind of games you commit to be focused for 60~90mins, not saying TB should have single fights lasting 90mins, but you gotta be prepared to invest some time and nerves into competitive events and fights... Maybe clanwars should take as long as 60-90mins.
Last edited by deprav; Aug 24, 2015 at 04:26 PM.
Originally Posted by deprav View Post

I disagree, classic mods imo are about the right length, considering in a competitive system matches / duels are typically first to 3, having around 5 minute games, which is typical in classic mods gives a range of time from 15 minutes to 25 minutes, this is long enough and is about the amount of time that it should be, on the other hand the mods seen above can take 20 minutes per match, as they did when I was fighting Icky and Scorpio. This gives a total time of 1 hour - 1 hour 40 which is too long for the competitive scene.

That's why, ideally, the meta/goals of those mods should focus almost only on points (and DQ), and time shouldn't be a concern ; which is what we're trying to do with the Grand Opening tournament's format and win conditions.
If someone joins a competition or play on competitive lobby in order to win, you don't have to worry about keeping the queue "interested", the competition and trying to win and achieve something rewarding, and the material reward for doing so, is what primarily interest people. As for competitive lobbies, we've been told the amount of rooms isn't a concern anymore.

Of course you do, even if it is competitive, if it not enjoyable to this extent people will not stay. When you say people you mean you, most people in the community I think would agree that what they want is a ranking system that yes, finds the best player, but also isnt a chore to take part in. Playing a game should never feel boring or like work, whats the point in that?

Weird how ? I'd like concrete exemples or replays so I can see what people think is/was weird and either explain what happened or fix it if something is indeed weird.

Tho yes, it's different. The damage threshold + redistribution makes it way easier to defend your scoring parts, and way harder to score decent hits. It rebalances the whole meta of the striking mods. It's easier to defend, but it's WAY HARDER to play defensively AND score points when you camp because you mostly end up having poor positions to attack your opponent's scoring parts, and it's way easier for him to take the fight to you in a safe engaging-position and put his limbs inbetween a shitty readable position and his scoring parts.

shown below is a replay of me fighting Icky, there is another that I can upload but the end of the replay is glitched, throughout the replay, it is more clear if watched slowly, Icky is far more fluid and he strikes aiming for areas of my body, while I flail my limbs nearly disqualifying myself 3 times, despite this I win with a narrow point victory, while many of my hits miss completely.

2 times of note are around frame 800 where there is just an RNG pileup and I somehow come out on top from a point deficit and around frame 450, where if watched slowly I clearly was kicked in the head with a decent force yielding 0 points, which was odd. Icky was the better player, and lost.

Well, first those players weren't probably as good as you/they think they are. And second, the mods are pretty recent. Only a few players started assimilating the changes and adapted to them properly yet. It's kind of a fresh start, people have new things to learn to be able to play them in an optimal way.
Most players still play like they're playing the classic mods -since that's how they learned- and despite the fact you can still use the "classic style" effectively if done properly, it's been nerfed pretty hard.

see above

On all the matchs I have seen during the tourneys I hosted with those mods, even if the winner wasn't the better player or the one you expected, it always was the one who fought they best fight, and took the best decisions.

This was certainly not the case in the time where we were trying out the mods.

Also, I've said it a few times but best remind people : those mods aren't finalized yet, and won't be finalized as long as we can't apply the "damage to score threshold" to the "point trigger" system, in order to completely eliminate all remaining traces of rubbing damages and eventual random points outcome when clinching.
They also need to totally get rid of the "time" aspect and have a win condition of their own (win by reaching a pre-defined amount of points, aka "lifebar") in order to put the emphasis on the fight rather than keeping a point advantage and play the time (which is already harder with long matchframes).
But in the meantime [b]they're still more consistent and interesting to play than the classic mods.[.b]

In the consistency point, I found the opposite, as I said earlier my win rate was exactly 50/50 over 6 games, taking a total of just over 2 hours. Despite the fact that I am worse at striking than scorpio and Icky, 50% is exactly the least consistent it is possible to be.

On the "interest" point, this is, of course, entirely subjective but I found the opposite, it was new for the first 500 frames of the first match but afterwards it became tedious and a chore to play.

Those mods also serve a long term goal, which is having an eye-candy & public-friendly competitive scene. Grappling mods and kicking/hybrid mods are cool to play, but they're a boring mess to watch for the untrained eyes of a beginner. Like tk for instance, you understand what happens if you watch a match in direct-live and know what the mod is about, but the subtilities won't ever show on a replay, you just see 2 people rapidly flailing at each other and losing parts. Same for aikido mods, you can't completely appreciate the subtilities and the dynamic of the fight as a spectator.
With Striking mods it's a whole other story, high level fights are impressive, the longer turnframes make the movements clear and comprehensible by any audience, you see the dynamic, the hits, the dodges, the blocks, it looks neat as fuck, and if Toribash ever wants an appealing "e-sport" aspect, that's where the fuck it's at. It's hard, fun, challenging, consistent, and sweet to watch.

when competitive Dota or league is watched noobs dont understand whats going on exactly, with the steep learning curves and all the characters and items in the game. Does that make it uncompetitive or less good to watch? Not according to viewing figures and prize money when compared with other games.
Attached Files
Don't dm me pictures of bowls that you find attractive.