Ranking
Original Post
SSD / Graphics card
So, soon I will buy an desktop and i want to know two things.

First, is it worth it buy a SDD drive to just hold up the OS, considering their high price.

Second, what graphic card you guys advise me to buy around 300/350€.

Thanks in advance.
Don't bother with an SSD yet, even if it is just for your OS. The price is too high to justify the increased speed and prices should drop quite a lot over the next year. For 300€ the best GPU you could get is probably 2 GTX 460s in SLI, or just one 570 if you don't feel like running a dual-graphics card system.
I'd also hold out on an SSD upgrade. Prices are often below $2/gb now, but still dropping. You'd probably regret buying sooner.

The 570 is a great performer for the money, same with the hd 6950/6970.

Are you gonna game a lot though?

If not, you will notice the biggest difference from upgrading to an SSD. Otherwise, use the money on the graphics card.

Also, the Seagate hybrid drives provide a good halfway point between conventional hard drives and ssds, might want to check them out.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-591-_-Product
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

DarkJak's Wide-Range Texture Shop[LINK]

Incognito - [o]
As DarkJak said, the Momentus is a better choice than an SSD at the moment. Much bigger size, extremely fast, way cheaper.

Using a Momentus will give you a lot better speed.

As I say often, RAM is very important to increase your speed.

I would suggest a 570 for the graphics card. 2x460s may be troublesome for you, and the performance is not impressive for most tasks, although multiple graphics cards can be way faster for other tasks, though you probably won't be doing such other things.
When I see you, my heart goes DOKI⑨DOKI
Fish: "Gorman has been chosen for admin. After a lengthy discussion we've all decided that Gorman is the best choice for the next admin."
Momentus sounds very nice and it's way cheaper. I will go search better about this.

Also, in Portugal i think the informatics stores don't like nvidea so the 570 is really hard to find, and when i find one is severely overpriced.

I expect to play a lot, and for now i just want a single graphic card and put the second card later when needed. If i get more money I could even consider the Gtx580, GTx480 and HD5970 ( what Gpu you consider better?), if not what you guys think about the 5870.
Last edited by Drake; Dec 28, 2010 at 07:53 PM.
To me, the 480 is overpriced compared to the 580.
I would suggest ordering it over the internet if it is expensive locally.
When I see you, my heart goes DOKI⑨DOKI
Fish: "Gorman has been chosen for admin. After a lengthy discussion we've all decided that Gorman is the best choice for the next admin."
Ok. I can't order over the Internet because my credit card isn't allowed in paypal so i expect to buy all the components locally. I will search more for the GTX570, but how does the HD5870 behave comparatively to 570?