ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
[WIP/LUA] Toribash Tutorials for Competitive Mods
Intro
Hello, Karstnator here.
It has come to my attention that there has been pretty cool stuff I wasn't aware of such as the UI Manager and Ingame Tutorials.
As someone who used to play the game competitively, I'll try to design a script that show a set of tutorials in various competitive mods, mainly aikidobigdojo.tbm, lenshu3ng.tbm, and taekkyon.tbm.

- - - - -

Part 1 - Starting the script
Upon running the script, I plan on showing the player three different cards to choose from, which represents the three main mod categories (grappling, striking, and kicking).

- - - - -

Part 2 - List of Tutorials in X Mod Category
After they have chosen a mod category, they'll be redirected to an interface where they could:

• Select a tutorial from the set of options or go back to the previous interface
  • Read bite-sized information about the fundamentals of the chosen mod category
  • Play an ingame tutorial to test the player's understanding (being put into a specific situation and being required to do something to win, idk)

- - - - -

The Current Plan
As of now, there isn't a clear plan on what to do since I recently thought of this... the idea is still pretty blurry, but has a direction. As time will go on, I hope the pieces of the puzzle get completed and work out. The current plan consists of the following:

• Learn/play around with the tutorials mentioned above
  • Design a minimalistic interface for a good user experience
  • Collate information from fellow competitive players (currently in demand)
  • Implement the script to be created
- - - - -
Program Structure
I currently aim to make it clean and somewhat manageable...
I'm not exceptionally good, but this is the first few stuff that came to mind.
I might not make the thing fully optimized, but it'll get the job done.

- - -
UI FRAMES
Based on the prototypes and discussion shown above, I'll be having 4 UI frames:

chooseModCategoryFrame - Frame where the player chooses 1 out of the 3 mod categories
grapplingCategoryFrame - Frame that displays tutorials under the "grappling" category
strikingCategoryFrame - Frame that displays tutorials under the "striking" category
kickingCategoryFrame - Frame that displays tutorials under the "kicking" category

- - -
FUNCTIONS/METHODS
I'll have a method/function for:

readFile() - To read the bite-sized contents as a string
showXContents() - Call the function for reading text files and present its contents in the UI
playXTutorial() - Basically a run_cmd command to run a tutorial
- - -
ADDITIONAL SCRIPTS
Additional scripts that require minimal-no coding skills to glue everything together:

runTutorial.lua - Provided by sir in one of the tutorials mentioned above
tutorialName.dat - The required tutorialName.dat file for ingame tutorials
tutorialName_english.txt - The required tutorialName_english.txt file
- - -
TEXT FILES
Text files that will contain the bite sized information

tutorialName.txt - Contains super secret Toribash techniques

- - - - -
Current Progress
I made a simple interface with the UI Manager and I also played around with the Ingame Tutorial thing and right now I'm pretty basic-average at it.
The proof (images) can be seen in the Toribash Discord at the #scripts section.
I want to have a completed section before I give out the first release.

Unfortunately, I have college duties to fulfill and might not be able to work on this 24/7.

- - - - -
Want to Contribute?
I am mainly looking for really good players who can write about a mod's fundamentals and whatnot.
I am also looking for a name for this project... I initially planned on calling it "Toribash META Assistant", got anything better in mind?
I look forward to collaborating with duelers and other Toribashians for this project to succeed.

Feel free to post any suggestions below! Cheers!
Last edited by Karstnator; Jan 2, 2022 at 05:17 PM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toribash Season 1 Rank 3 | Ex-ES Artist | Ex-Mascot of [Alpha]
CLAN LEAGUE 2019 WINNER
Update:

Some actual interfaces...

In need of competitive/high-elo/knowledgeable players to write info (see second spoiler)

Might also need some art for the 3 different cards of the mod categories and 1 big one for the whole right square where the description and play button is dumped(see second spoiler)

Just contact me if you want in on this project :^)

Choosing the mod category

Mod category tutorials

Mod category tutorials; after choosing the "openers" option

Upon clicking the play button

Last edited by Karstnator; Jan 3, 2022 at 11:22 AM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
CLAN LEAGUE 2019 WINNER
Definitive a follow on this.

Will you implement pictures as a "reference" for different moves and how they can look like if that's possible?
Necrobumping Elite Master - ps dont tell Fred
jag såg de där https://gyazo.com/2bb5d1c33d72abf6549b5558c54c9fa8
Originally Posted by Miracle11 View Post
Definitive a follow on this.

Will you implement pictures as a "reference" for different moves and how they can look like if that's possible?

Sadly, I won't be spending too much time on this so no; that's why there'll be an ingame tutorial that'll show and demonstrate the concept that was discussed in text form.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
CLAN LEAGUE 2019 WINNER
Hi, quick update

I asked Taekkyo if he could make some cool Toribash renders for the three cards presented in the "Choose Mod Category" interface and he replied, but hasn't made the art yet I think.

Almost final frame for choosing

As for this interface, I wanted to test how a sample bg image would look like (used art I got from the internet made by the Toribash Legend 8OJ4N to serve as a placeholder), more changes to this interface might be implemented. Since I'm the only one working on this, I'll only be creating ingame tutorials for the 5 options listed (introduction to shoveling) that'll cover basic things.

Tutorials Interface

For now, I think I'll release an uncomplete version of this once the ABD tutorials are finished.

Again, if you're a top player and want to help out on this project, just pm me. I'll see if I could dedicate a page to the players who contributed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
CLAN LEAGUE 2019 WINNER
Big thanks to iris and Static for contributing to the tutorial section for the lenshu3ng mod category!

Preview

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
CLAN LEAGUE 2019 WINNER
HELLO
It has been a long time. I've seen a lot of players who want to get good in the game and thought about this project I abandoned. Unfortunately, I haven't made any significant changes, however I plan on having a new format/approach to this project.

PLANNED CHANGES
There were some limitations and new ideas that came to mind, which led to the following planned changes:

• Forum Tutorials - There will be 3 separate threads for the tutorials that will be linked since long paragraphs aren't supported.

• Puzzles - To practice the concepts learned, players will be put into specific situations and will have to "solve" certain situations. For example, your Tori is at the edge of the ring in ABD and you need to find a way on how to suplex your opponent out the ring to win the match. For now, I plan on having 1 puzzle each mod category, but if this project gets noticed by hampa and sir... I'll see if I could add more puzzles to solve.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
CLAN LEAGUE 2019 WINNER
Why not have somebody visually and verbally explain the tutorials in video format instead?

I suspect that text based tutorials may not be that effective in helping newer players improve in an overall sense, as compared to if there were numerous well written and explained video tutorials easily accessible to the newer members of the community.
Originally Posted by NotPonzo View Post
Why not have somebody visually and verbally explain the tutorials in video format instead?

My goal wasn't to make a tutorial, my goal was to make something using the UI Manager and Ingame Tutorials

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
CLAN LEAGUE 2019 WINNER