Now, i made this thread for 3 main reasons:

1. to get a good, permanent link for mys sig that'll tell what a madman is

2. to get it straight for myself what certain replay terms mean

3. to provoke discussion, which this forum is all about

so, with no further mumbling, here goes:

_____

Madman

My definition of a madman

"in my definition, a madman is a replay in which uke's arms and legs are detached from each other and the torso or a part of it from the shoulder/hip or further. uke may not assist by grabbing or applying force to joints, or by holding after the first dismem. premature relaxing of joints or moving of joints as to, for example, create a "boxing pose" is allowed"

NOTE: this is MY PERSONAL OPINION. this is not an universally valid explanation (yet, that is :P)

NOTE2: in my explanation, upper-/lower-body madmans are madmans that fill the requirements fo the upper limbs (and possibly the head), but not for the lower, or vice versa

universal definition

"a replay in which tori goes nuts on uke and demolishes him so that he can take a souvenir with him in a matchbox"
_

other definitions (and (my) counter-arguments)

-"a replay in which Tori goes nuts (hence the name) on uke and breaks him up, no matter how"

I agree, but in my opinion that can't be accomplished without destroying uke to at least the above explained extent

-"a replay with a certain number of dismems, usually 8 or 10, in rapid succession"

I agree and disagree; a solid pace is essential in madmans, but it's not a numerical value, but rather a fuzzy logic average. I completely disagree with defining madmans solely by the number of dismems, since, for example, 8 dismems can be filled by dismeming the wrists, ankles, elbows and knees, It is, while a demonstration of great skill, not very brutal, which madmans should be.
___

skeet

the definition i've heard

"a skeet is a replay in which tori decaps uke and throws a part of him at his airborne head"

NOTE: not to be mixed with zombie, shuriken, archery (which is actually a broader term that skeets also list into).

_

other definitions (and the counter-arguments)

-"a replay in which a part of uke is thrownlateral to the ground at a low height, so that it slides on the ground"

since the term "skeet" derives from "skeets", a sport in which you shoot airborne clay disks with a shotgun, this does not fill the requirements. If i'm correct, this was coined "slide skeet" in the counter-argument that i read

-"a replay in which any part of either player is thrown at any airborne part of either player"

(I haven't heard of a counter-argument, although i've heard that these sorts of replays should be called "shurikens")

___

"shuriken"

to make things clear, i do not mean the shurikenn that we all have heard of, an ancient asian throwing weapon, but a replay type/-feature

"a replay in which any part of either player is thrown at any (airborne or grounded) part of the opponent"

(haven't other definitions, but will add them here if and once i do)

___

"clean" strike

has a number of meanings/interpretations, none of which seems more correct to me than the other:

-"a strike that only hits the targetted part (with the targetted part of the attacker), instead of hitting the general area or the bodypart next to the joint to be DM'ed. doesn't necessarily mean an "unclean" strike wouldn't be more effective or more stylish"

-"an attack that doesn't damage the attacker due to due to the shin brushing against the opponent in a kick, for example. doesn't necessarily mean an "unclean" strike wouldn't be more effective or more stylish"

___

"Zidane"

"A pop culture neologism for a headbutt. Derives from an incident in which soccer player Zinedine Zidane headbutted an opposing player during a match"

___

Zombie

"Using a dismembered limb to attack the opponent. Most commonly executed by throwing a deliberately dismembered arm at the opposing player's (/uke's) head, grabbing on to it and contracting/extending the elbow and wrist back and forth to inflict further damage. the limb might also be a leg, although less practical, and it isn't always detached deliberately"

NOTE: not to be mixed with archery (the terms overlap somewhat) or shuriken (the terms overlap, although a shuriken is charachterized by the projectile being more passive, and often consisting of only up to one joint and one bodypart)

NOTE2: not to be mixed with zombiing/zombying or archery

NOTE3: also called voodoo. Some use one of the definitions in the meaning of avoiding DQ and the other for attacking, but both are used in both situations.
_

arguments (and counter-arguments)

-"Isn't this called archery?"

"in most cases, yes. but if the attacker hinders the defender without throwing the dismembered part (say, when the defender oulls it off themself, or when an arm is holding on to the attacker and striking the defender from there)"
___

zombiing/zombying

"an online technique, in which a player doesn't move, or doesn't attempt to attack, to either trick the opponent into using unwise attacks or to force them to do self damage and then flee from danger"

___

Tripod

"standing on 3 or 4 of your limbs to avoid DQ, or to pass time in a multiplayer match, or to position your toribashian in a pose"

_

arguments/other definitions(counter-argument needed)

-"shouldn't a four-"legged" position be called a tetrapod or a quadropod, indstead of a tripod (lat. tri: three/three-) ?"

"propably, but Hamster calls it crab position"
___

pose

"a flashy or provocative (the latter usually in multiplayer matches) stance which a toribashian takes at the end of a match or a replay. usually resting on the feet and fists even if disqualify isn't on"

_

other definitions(and counter-arguments)

-"anything that prevents you from DQ'ing"

"the word "pose" does point more towards taking a more appealing position, the position, or rather the act of executing it, is commonly referred to as "save" or "saving"."

-"a position that allows an attack to be executed. At all, or more effectively"

"again, this explanation wouldn't quite suit the original meaning of the word. "prep" or "prepping" would suit this meaning better"

___

limpstyle

"a replay or a fighting style that has most of the joints relaxed"
NOTE: sometimes also referred to as only "limp". other names include "relaxed" and "fluid" (although a fluid replay or movement may also be one without most of the joints relaxed)
_

sub-categories/other definitions(and counter-arguments)

-"relax all: essentially limpstyle, but charachterized by relaxing all of the toribashian's joints in the beginning of each turn or every # frames and only applying force to or holding up to a half of them to execute moves and attacks"

___

archery

"the act of the attacker throwing a (deliberately) dismembered part of themself, usually a whole limb (and furthermore, often an arm) at the opponent to inflict damage. may be followed by "zombie" attacks"
NOTE: not to be mixed with skeet, zombie, shuriken, although all of the terms overlap between each other (see below)

_

arguments (and counter-arguments)

-"kinda sounds like a skeet"

"in fact, a skeet is a way to practice archery. it is only specified further by the head being detached and airborne"

-"isn't this called zombie?"

"the terms overlap in that the part must be dismembered the be thrown, but zombies usually envolve the attacking part actively hindering the opponent, whereas in archery this is not essential"

-"isn't this called shuriken?"

"yes, shuriken is also a sub-category of archery, like skeets. shurikens are charachterized by a more passive and often smaller projectile than the term of archery allows for"

____

"leaver"/"quitter"

"a person who leaves the room or spectates during a game as to avoid losing the match in progress. generally considered a very unpolite act."

___

split

"the act of dismembering the opponent from one of the abdominal joints (chest, lumbar, abs, although some neglect the lattest). also incident of the before said happening. in replay names, it is often specified how a split is executed, I.E. "splitkick" or "splitpunch"."
NOTE: "split" or "splits" may also refer to the extending of one's legs in opposite directions

___

dancing

"moving from pose to pose or imitating breakdance, capoiera or other flashy movements after the main event of a replay or the actual fight during a match. often ends in a stationary final pose"
_

sub-categories/arguments

-"danceoff: when neither of the players has any points they "dance off".
the loser sometimes disqualifies himself or dismembers their joints (commonly referred to as suiciding)."

___

decap

this one's found in every dictionary and encyclopedia, but people still seem not to know it:
"decapitation. removing the head from the body. in TB this means dismembering the neck joint"

___

scissors

"An attack involving either both legs or both arms, executed by leaving the targeted area between the limbs while raising one and lowering the other in a scissor-like motion"

___

flawless win

"a replay or match in which the winner takes no damage (clean strikes). generally involves dismemberments. usually refers to MP replays"
___

continued in next post
Last edited by Archlurps; Sep 23, 2008 at 03:51 PM. Reason: grammatical corrections & update
I refuse to grab.
-
Like CnC? Most people do. Be a dear and spread the love!
good thread arch, as for clean hit, I might call it an accurate dismembering hit without grab that does not damage you whatsoever

but thats just me of course
Since when did I become Asian?
Clean strike has a few meanings

- An attack that only hits the part that it was ment to, like, not breaking the head off by slapping the forehead, but rather hitting the neck in the right spot.

- An attack that doesn't do any damage to the attacker

[T]
#hi

those are good ones too ishi btw... arch are you going to eventually put up more terms as well?
Since when did I become Asian?
yes, once new ones pop up. those are the ones i could come up with myself.

i'll update the description of a clean hit once i get to use the computer again (gonna be 2 hours at worst, less than 1 at best)

___

list continues:

___

boomhit

"dismembering several joints with one hit, in one frame. usually further specified into boomkicks and boompunches, done with feet and hands respectively. also known as shatterhits."

___

clutterhit

"almost-instantaneous (over the cource of about 3 frames) dismemberments caused by the same strike"
NOTE: (this is my term, which I have used for quite some time. inform me if there's another one)

___

Bounty hunting

"essentially the same as in the real world. trying to win, decap, dismember or otherwise beat, under pre-determined circumstances, another player online. Players often place a bounty on their own head, to show their skill. restraining from multiplayer when being hunted is usually frowned upon. Often abbreviated into "BH"."

___

ghosting
"a bodypart or joint passing through another. caused (probably) by a minor flaw in the physics engine. Although not exactly "cheating", ghosting is usually considered a negative trait in a replay."

___

spacing (out)
"quickly going through the rest of the remaining frames in an online match if the fighters have wandered too far from each other or are otherwise incapable to continue. (for clarification: "space?" or "space out?" are prompts to space (out) the match). Often opposed to trying to save (in this case, get back to reach of the opponent) or dancing off (see above)."

___

shoveling
"A move in Aikido (the online playmode) specially designed to easily lift your opponent off the ground, denying them most of their possibilities to control themselves. Usually involves contracting the knees and/or hips and/or elbows to quickly get a grip of the opponent below their center of mass. This is frowned upon, since it is a very easy technique that doesn't require a complicated opener, yet can easily beat more sophisticated techniques. Lifting up your opponent after a more complicated opener is rarely considered shoveling, nor frowned upon, because it doesn't give the user an unfair edge."

___

Other definitions, arguments, counter-arguments and terms to define are welcome. if this goes well, it'll be a good help for some people. I might also write them in Toribash wiki, once they're good enough
Last edited by Archlurps; Nov 21, 2008 at 03:19 PM.
I refuse to grab.
-
Zidane - Headbutt :P

Zombie - Using a dismembered limb to attack the opponent

Tripod - To stand on 3 or 4 of your limbs to avoid DQ, or to pass time.

[T]
#hi

some new explanations added. (and old ones updated)

chac- is that only a persoanl feud or is "a lie" an actual used term to describe a signature that is made to look like a part of a conversation? and if so, what do you call a sig that actually is a part of an occurred conversation? on the meantime, i'll add limpstyle
I refuse to grab.
-
two clean examples in Swing.tbm
they may not follow the definition closely but they look pretty clean to me
Attached Files
nice swingin' tex.rpl (36.0 KB, 35 views)
perfect swipe.rpl (30.8 KB, 36 views)
One time I saw a ghost
Co-leader of ToCatchAPredator [TCaP]
http://www.mabtw.com
I think you missed the term "archer"or "archery" I think it means when you launch a arm that grabs uke that contracts and extends to do damage.
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
-Mohandas Gandhi
That is kinda like skeet.
~®awksoniC
---
/.---------====/:::::=:=:::::\====---------.\
|..D.....A....\...../...|./.../’’..../”’\...|\..|...|.../’’’..|
|..l \.../..\....\/\/....l.\..._/....\,,/...|..\|...|...\_,'.|
\.---------====\:::::=:=:::::/====---------./