ES Recruitment Drive
View Poll Results: (Please read the thread before voting) I set shaders to 1 in Toribash 3.23 and..
It worked ! :-)
25 Votes / 50.00%
It doesn't work :-(
18 Votes / 36.00%
Toribash crashes :-o
7 Votes / 14.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll
View Poll Results

Original Post
Toribash 3.23 - Shaders problems and solutions
Hi all,

A new release of Toribash: 3.23 is available.
Toribash should automatically update itself to this version soon.
(It cannot be downloaded from the website yet)

This version features better compatibility for graphics cards.

Try setting Fluid Blood, Reflections, Soft shadows and shaders to 1.
Toribash will detect if you cannot support one of the extra features, and will use a lower level of graphics to match your card.
You should only disable these options if you want to increase game performance.

Your graphics card can't run with shaders on ?

The following cards should be able to run Toribash with shaders on:

Intel 915 and above
nVidia Geforce 6 series and above
ATI Radeon X series (X300 onwards) and above

If you have one of these cards (or better) and it fails to run with shaders on,
make sure you have the latest drivers for your graphics card (can be downloaded from the card manufacturer's website)

if it still fails to run shaders:
Help us help you by posting here your computer details and graphics card, and also the contents of our error report.
Also see below common messages that can appear in the error report.

To check what graphics card and operating system you have:

Windows: Go to start, then the Run command, enter dxdiag

OSX: Click the apple icon, go to "About This Mac" and click more Info. You should see your graphics card under hardware->Graphics/Displays

To see the contents of our error report file:

Windows: The file stderr.txt, which is in the folder you installed Toribash to, can help us know what the problem is.

OSX: Start the application called 'Console' before starting Toribash and then set the shaders to 1. The console should now have errors messages about the shaders, which can help us know what the problem is.

Common Error messages in the error report:
'GL_EXT_framebuffer_object not supported' or 'No shader extension found':
Your graphics card can't run shaders. (Make sure you have the latest drivers)

'Unable to support shaders at all. You might want to try updating your graphics driver if you have not done so':
Your graphics card should run shaders. Please send your graphics card model and operating system details to support AT toribash.com .

Toribash freezes ?
Please let it run for a bit. in some cases switching to shaders after the game started causes it to freeze for a bit.

Toribash crashes ?
Please check the error report (see above on how to see it)

If it contains the message 'SDL parachute deployed' , please make sure you have the latest version of the drivers for your graphics card. (Can be downloaded from the manufacturer's website)

Post here the details of your computer and the contents of the error report. This can help us know what the problem is.
It works great I can have most of it on at 60fps but what does bumpmapping do?
No longer playing Toribash, so fuck off
The shaders work fine, but I have trouble running the soft shadows they flicker very badly and i can't turn them off. I have had the same problem In previous versions I could turn them off before. I'm running a 3.2Ghz pentium 4 with a HD 2900 pro Radeon Graphics card. There is a "timeout to connect: WSAGetLastError 10060" error in the log

This may not be a shaders issue but I can't use them with soft shadows
Last edited by Sarcoma; Mar 27, 2008 at 02:11 PM. Reason: clarity
Im on an raedon ASUS A9550 Series card, and i get crashes when it loads. There is NOTHING in stderr.txt

before 3.2 it worked fine with shaders, with 3.2 it would work with a very slow FPS and damaged graphics, and in 3.23 it sits around for a moment before crashing.

it runs fine in nonshader mode though
<( O )>
What's wrong???
Hi! I've got a problem with the shaders option, and I really want it to work, since I hate bad game-graphics, and my laptop's performance in any other games (like World of Warcraft for instance) is awesome, and I've never had problems with graphics until I tried to set the Shaders option to "1" in Toribash. My laptop is a Toshiba Qosmio G20 with an Intel Pentium M processor - 2.0 GHz and a 17 " widescreen and the graphic card is a GeForce 6600Go (128 MB).
I recently tried one of the solutions for making the Shaders option work, but it resulted in making the playing screen black (the area where you can see Tori and Uke fight) but I could somehow see blood flying around, but not a sign to Tori or Uke. If I try to set the "Shaders" in the Default.cfg to "1" and open the tb.old.exe (the only one responding to the change of the shaders option) i get this error message:

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime error!
Program Cprogram files\Toribash-3.1\tb.old.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. please contact the application's support team for more information. "

My Stderr file looks like this:

"OpenGL 2.0 not supported"

Elsewhere, the Shaders option resets itself back to "0" no matter how much I try. Can someone help me find out what's the problem here? 'Cus, I want to play with shaders on Thanks in advance!

-Vaitar
Ohai, My hand says F*** you.
when i run toribasg with shaders on, it is really slow, fps 7, what could be causing this and how can i fix it? I hate geforce 7
Originally Posted by stderr.txt
Fluid blood supported (level 1 of 4)
Ambient Occlusion + Bumpmapping supported (level 4 of 12)
Ambient Occlusion supported (level 4 of 12)
Bumpmapping supported

Everything works for me :o
With around 15 fps.
With only shaders it works with 25 fps.
I guess I'm still gonna stick without shaders
But anyways, nice job there Stilf! :3

@vaitar
Your graphics card has to support OpenGL 2.0 before you can even think about Shaders.
So, if your graphics card doesn't support OpenGL 2.0, farewell.

@aipom
Your graphics card is too bad to make Toribash work properly with Shaders.
First make sure you have the newest drivers. If not, get them from your graphics card's developer's homepage.
...Right?
Last edited by Tonakai; Mar 27, 2008 at 08:45 PM.