Ranking
Original Post
Guide to making tansparent textures (Photoshop)
I saw that there was only one tutorial on transparent heads,and it was for gimp - made by ronalds. Which is located Here. I decided to make one for photoshop.

I also included the .tga transparent head.

First you need photoshop, which is Here. Unfortunately you have to make an account to download it.

Step #1.
Go to File>New

And put it to these Settings.

Now you will have a blank layer like so.

Step #2.
Create a background layer, with the color black. Then hit Ctrl+Shift+N to create a new layer. On this next layer you will be drawing what you want to be visible on your avatar.

Step #3.
Go to Window>Channels and make a new layer, if its not automatically called "Alpha 1" rename it to "Alpha 1" without the quotes. Make sure all the Rgb layers are invisible (Click on the eyes)

Step #4.
Now you need to choose the "Marquee Tool"

Go back to the layers tab, Windows>Layers

Now hold "Ctrl" and click on the layer where you want your head texture to be visible.

Step #5.
Then go back to Window>Channels and you should already have an outline

Step #6.
Select the brush tool.

And make the hard brush size about 200px or so..

Not soft Brush.

Step #7.
Now click in the middle of the picture with the "Alpha 1" layer selected.

Step #8.
Test your head out.
Attached Files
head.tga (64.0 KB, 74 views)
Last edited by xFACEx; Apr 12, 2008 at 11:44 PM.
its already been done: http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=27258

i wouldnt have minded that you didnt know it had already been done, but this is on the first page at the moment, so its kind of your fault for not seeing it

edit: yours is for photoshop, which makes this midly acceptable
Last edited by ronalds; Apr 16, 2008 at 06:08 PM.
PARANDROID
Originally Posted by ronalds View Post
its already been done: http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=27258

i wouldnt have minded that you didnt know it had already been done, but this is on the first page at the moment, so its kind of your fault for not seeing it

edit: yours is for photoshop, which makes this midly acceptable

Should of read the first sentance.

I saw that there was only one tutorial on transparent heads,and it was for gimp - made by ronalds. Which is located Here. I decided to make one for photoshop.

:D
Thanks! I use Photoshop, so Ronalds tut didn't work at all...
~®awksoniC
---
/.---------====/:::::=:=:::::\====---------.\
|..D.....A....\...../...|./.../’’..../”’\...|\..|...|.../’’’..|
|..l \.../..\....\/\/....l.\..._/....\,,/...|..\|...|...\_,'.|
\.---------====\:::::=:=:::::/====---------./
I am way too autistic to read first lines, but yes, that was very stupid of me
PARANDROID
I followed all the steps... but it doesn't seem to work for me. Even the head you attached doesn't work.
You need shaders to have transparency I believe. By the looks of your avatar, you don't?
Originally Posted by xFACEx View Post
You need shaders to have transparency I believe. By the looks of your avatar, you don't?

Damn. I wish my computer actually had a video card at all except for this peice of crap. Oh sure, I have 2038 MB of RAM, but the worst video card I have herd of....
It prevents my from running games awesomely, running Hellgate London, Neverwinter Nights 2, shaders in Toribash.... ugh.
I need to bring this Vista laptop to the chop shop to get a new video card.