Ranking
Original Post
Can anyone get the Music item to work?
Has anyone been successful in activating a working music item? I've tried uploading .ogg and .wav audio dozens of times without success. Can you please describe in detail the process you went through to make it work?

what program/website did you use to convert the audio?
what is the length of the audio?
the bitrate of the audio?
the file size of the audio?
the browser you used when uploading the song?
was the song a read-only file?
did the audio-player widget appear and play the song after uploading?

ANY details I am missing please inform me

when I do it, I use Audacity to shorten the song, lower the bitrate, and export as a .ogg file. I have tried file sizes ranging from 13 MB to 831 KB. I make sure the file is set as read-only(though I have tried otherwise), I upload to a newly bought Music Item, and I get a "successfully uploaded" notification in a blue box. There appears a new black audio-player with a muted, non-clickable play button. Under it is a link titled as the file name of the song. I click it and I get a "404 Not Found" error. I use Google Chrome but I have tried with Internet Explorer.
You're obviously trying to use something that's far too long if you're getting filesize ranges like that.

Use Audacity, export to .ogg using the default settings, and make sure it's not a stupid length. At worst the output file should only be a couple of mb, like the default one - it's just under a minute & 2.2mb.

Also note that trying to play the file in a browser likely requires a plugin. (depending on the browser OFC)

The main thing I'll point out RE your music item is the fuck awful file name. Ditch that crap & give it a sensible one without symbols, spaces & other tat. Servers hate that shit.
music.ogg = far better.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
My song has been cut to 2 minutes, 30 seconds on every upload. I have changed the bitrate to lower file size further to 831 KB. I've tried your suggestions and nothing has changed. I'm limiting my upload to be under 2MB every time and renaming it to "music.ogg" or "music2.ogg" and so on. I have tried cutting the song to only 30 seconds with a file size of 125 KB and it made no difference.

As for playing it in the browser, activating the item does not work in-game which tells me the issue here is not with my browser's media player plugins
Last edited by taytay19; Nov 13, 2012 at 10:16 AM.
Weeeellllllll, a bit ago hampa poked something on the server & said it'd fix whatever, but it seems to be broke again ATM.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you