Ranking
What Im saying is that he was not influenced by the modern day form of Islam most Muslims in modern day society follow. Im not saying he wasnt influenced by a form of Islam, but that it is important to say it was extreme, fundamental Islam.

I did not say he was not a Muslim either, modern day Islam - rather than extreme fundamentalist Islam - does not support the same things and is not in essence a bad thing at all, but that doesnt mean some versions of Islam, such as this one, are not terrible - the two views and ideologies are very different even if they do fall under the same umbrella and I think it is important that they are treated as so

I brought up IS because thats the terror group he pledged allegience to when he did the attack. Its pretty blatant that thats the group that influenced him, which makes it very relevant to your post.
Last edited by SmallBowl; Jun 14, 2016 at 11:11 AM.
Don't dm me pictures of bowls that you find attractive.
Leftists are in full damage control, Islamist shooting gays, and they can't even cry about gun control because of what happened in Cali 2 weeks ago...

Almost every leftist article I've seen goes for the "Trump is going to use this as an excuse to deport Muslims / be anti-gay / remove all gun law". Even Clinton used it as an excuse to talk shit about Trump lol...

Well, what can you do, the bodies weren't even cold before it somehow turned into "Trump did it!", that's American politics for you!
Originally Posted by SmallBowl View Post
What Im saying is that he was not influenced by the modern day form of Islam most Muslims in modern day society follow. Im not saying he wasnt influenced by a form of Islam, but that it is important to say it was extreme, fundamental Islam.

I did not say he was not a Muslim either, modern day Islam - rather than extreme fundamentalist Islam - does not support the same things and is not in essence a bad thing at all.

I brought up IS because thats the terror group he pledged allegience to when he did the attack. Its pretty blatant that thats the group that influenced him, which makes it very relevant to your post.

Firstly, there is no good islam and bad islam, nor is there modern day islam. There is only one book which people follow in various degrees of fundamentalism. Modern day islam is just basically being a bad muslim. Muslims who have lived in western countries have adopted western ideals of freedom, liberty and acceptance. That is not a credit to islam as a religion, that is credited to literally removing aspects of that faith. Holding on to all the barbaric ideals that quran holds, is literally the truest nature of islam.

That is the same that has been done to christianity in the west, watered it down to suit the capitalistic libertarian ideals of the 20th and 21th century.

I'd dare to say people of saudi arabia are pretty "modern", is islam there moderate? Just because you like it better doesn't make it any more valid interpretation of islam than al qaedas. No...you will not be able to show islam as a positive or even an irrelevant force in this discussion.

And yeah, bringing up IS wasn't irrelevant, my bad.
Last edited by cowmeat; Jun 14, 2016 at 11:22 AM.
There are definitely different interpretations of it and therefore different forms of Islam with different values.

Of course there are different and more modern adaptations and interpretations of other religions too

More valid no, but is it a different interpretation? Yes, and does it have different values? Yes, it should therefote be treated as so.

Im not trying to show Islam to always be a positive influence or a negligable influence at all. What im saying is that it is bigoted to denounce all forms of Islam and all its followers due to the views and values of certain other people who falls under the same general umbrella of Muslim.

Im not trying to show Islam to always be a positive influence or a negligable influence at all. What im saying is that it is bigoted to denounce all forms of Islam and all its followers due to the views and values of certain other people who falls under the same general umbrella of Muslim.

Firstly, if you think it's bigoted to denounce all forms of islam then I think you are an idiot. It's bigoted to think of some ideologies as bad? Oh please... I denounce all forms of nazism, I denounce all forms of nationalism, I denounce all forms of religion and I denounce all forms of racism. Does that make me a bigot?

Surely blaming individuals who had nothing to do with this, or any other attack, just because they are muslims is incredibly wrong and cowardly. But I discuss these things with the assumption that when having a discussion like this we have the capacity to discuss ideologies separate of individuals.

Furthermore, just going "BUT ITS NOT ALL MUSLIMS AND ISLAM IS A BROAD RELIGION" is bringing absolutely nothing to this discussion what so ever. I'm pretty sure anyone worth having a conversation with can understand and separate these basic concepts, and I know you can as well. I'd honestly like to hear your personal thoughts on the matter, instead of just trying to defend people who are not being attacked in this discussion. (except by ynvaser)
Last edited by cowmeat; Jun 14, 2016 at 11:35 AM.
Yes. It does.

Perhaps, but you certainly dont seem to be able to - you are suggesting an entire religion, not just an interpretation of a religion mind, is to blame for 1 persons actions. You are doing the same thing you say is wrong but in reverse.

On this point you are contradicting yourself, are you or are you not agreeing that Islam is not a broad co cept and is not inherently to blane? If you are agreeing then why do you think its still good to denounce all forms of religion? If you are not agreeing then there clearly is something to discuss.
Last edited by SmallBowl; Jun 14, 2016 at 11:40 AM.
Yes. It does.

Perhaps, but you certainly dont seem to be able to.

On this point you are contradicting yourself, are you or are you not agreeing that Islam is not a broad co cept and is not inherently to blane? If you are agreeing then why do you think its still good to denounce all forms of religion? If you are not agreeing then there clearly is something to discuss.

Because all forms of religion are completely irrational. That is what religion is, irrational belief in the supernatural. I don't denounce all religion because I think all religion brings to this world evil, but because it's stupid.

Of course I think islam is a broad concept. But there are things that most muslims who follow islam agree on, so I can also speak of islam as one entity. Sometimes in conversation you have to generalize. You can speak of capitalism as a single entity even tho there are many forms and interpretations of capitalism. There is nothing contradictory about that. Also great for you to throw the bigot card in to the ring.

Call people out on contradicting themselves when they are not, and then call them bigots. Conversation 101!

I think this conversation between us is over. I enjoy a conversation where the first thing you do is not calling each other by derogatory terms purely on assumption on how the other believes.

Ps. You haven't called me a racist yet, you should try that as well. Maybe then you'll sound more convincing!
Last edited by cowmeat; Jun 14, 2016 at 11:53 AM.
In that case I misunderstood you, but there is no denying from your wording and points that your reasons for denouncing all religion were unclear, the fact you had to clear that up in your post means you see that.

Yes. A mass shooting in a gay nightclub is not one of them, well not from the point of view of Omar Mateen at least. So it is important to specify which form of Islam it is. How are you not getting this?

For a conversation to ever take place you have to listen to what the other person has to say, I dont think you have done that, so never mind over - It hasnt begun yet
In that case I misunderstood you, but there is no denying from your wording and points that your reasons for denouncing all religion were unclear, the fact you had to clear that up in your post means you see that.

Yes. A mass shooting in a gay nightclub is not one of them, well not from the point of view of Omar Mateen at least. So it is important to specify which form of Islam it is. How are you not getting this?

For a conversation to ever take place you have to listen to what the other person has to say, I dont think you have done that, so never mind over - It hasnt begun yet

Well lets put it this way. So maybe you'll understand my point of view as well.

1. For a muslim (You can't be a muslim if you dont believe this) quran is the word of god, and is the absolute truth.

2. Quran conciders homosexuality as a moral wrong.

> Islam, the belief in allah and the quran, (being the religion of a muslim) inspires evil.

That is the way I can generalize broad interpretations to a single entity, islam. If someone doesn't believe that quran is the word of god, they are not a muslim, thus they don't practise islam. Simple as that.
You have to draw a line at some point to what islam is. I draw it to quran, and what it says (like pretty much everyone, it's not as I just decided that on a whim).
This way, I can say that Islam, as a whole influenced this murderer to commit these acts against homosexuals.

I find it hard to believe that you would find this illogical.
Last edited by cowmeat; Jun 14, 2016 at 12:32 PM.
The crucial part here for me is "(you can be a muslim if you dont believe this literally)"

Even if it wasnt a majority that disagreed, I would find it important to differentiate between the people under the religion who did agree and whi didnt - especially when their views differ so radically. The sentence highlighted above makes a huge difference to how a muslim is influenced by the religion they follow.

Im not sure what exactly you meant by where you draw the line, but it sounds as if you are drawing the line at people who take the Qu'ran entirely literally, which seems like an extreme place to draw the line because you are sectionning off the majority of people who identify as Muslim. Personally I am of the view of, if someone identifies as Muslim they are a form of Muslim, even if their values and ideologies differ from all others following the religion.

I dont find it illogical because I can see the steps you took to get there, but as explained above I do think you are missing crucial points.

I do understand your point of view now, and the main difference, if I have understood correctly is that you draw the line of Muslim at fundamentalist. The big issue here is that, just like many Muslim speakers saying fundamentalist muslims are not true muslims it seems to me that your steps use the no true scottsman fallacy to section off a huge swathe of Islam - if you get what Im trying to say
Last edited by SmallBowl; Jun 14, 2016 at 12:22 PM. Reason: typos