Servers: 127, Players: 431, Games: 84,521,205

Toribash Community » Toribash » Tutorials

Old Dec 3, 2008   #1
Magix
ub3r

10th Dan Black Belt
Clan: Essence

[Art]Making your own textures!!

I seem to be better in teaching people something than actually doing it myself, so here's my try at teaching you how to make textures for toribash. If you're thinking now, that I'm going to teach you how to make the best textures in the world - definitely not. You need talent for that. So here we go.

Preparations

- If you're going to make the textures for yourself, make sure you have the plain textures bought from the torishop - you will need these. If you're just making them to sell them, it can be done without buying it (i made texture sets before i got my own head).

- You also need a program to do the textures in. There are many programs like that, i use Photoshop and i believe this is one of the best ones. The problem is though, it's not free. Can it be free though?.. Maybe.. So anyway, if you don't know how it can be free, you will want something like paint or gimp. Paint is bad, so gimp. I've never even seen gimp so i can't give any suggestions about that, but yeah.. It should be something like photoshop. So get your program.

Link to download gimp

Making the textures

Make a new document and make the size 128*128 (or you can make it bigger and resize it later). Now you will have to decide what part you want to do - there are a total of 25 things you can make a texture for. Now of course toribash is 3D and gimp/photoshop isn't, so you will have to know where is the front of your texture, where is the back etc. To do this you will have to go here - http://forums.toribash.com/tori_textures.php . There are pictures and names of every texture possible. The pictures will show what goes where. I'll bring an example - Left Bicep. This is the thing on the hand right next to the head, if you don't know already.

As you can see, it has IN, OUT, BACK, FRONT. Should be easy to figure out, when you draw something on FRONT, it will appear in the front, if you draw something on the IN thing, it will appear under tori, BACK behind tori and OUT above tori. So go ahead, draw what you want. As you can see, right biceps is almost the same, except it's turned around - should make it easy to do symmetrical stuff.

Well, this was left biceps. Let's get to harder stuff, thighs. The foot parts right under your ass.

Making the thighs and legs fit together (and head)

As you can see, thighs, legs and heads are round, which means you will have to make them so they fit together on both sides. If you're doing like a grungy thing which has got a lot of randomness in it, then i usually copy a small part of one side of the texture, copy+paste, flip vertical, move it to the other side of the document, merge down and start blending it to the original picture using the clone stamp tool. If this part was confusing, just say so and I'll try explaining it again.

And if you're doing like a tribal thing with just lines and stuff, you can just pixel it using the pen tool. Just remember, if the legs and heads textures look different from all sides, they would look ugly if you put them together.

Saving your file

If you want to preview your texture (which you WILL want) later, you will have to save your texture .tga with no RLE compression. RLE compression is off by default in Photoshop, but if you save with Gimp, you'll get a popup when saving that asks if you want RLE compression. It'll be ticked on at first, tick it off and then save the file. Generally, here are all the formats that toribash supports (but only .tga can be used to preview textures): .bmp, .gif, .jpg, .png, tga, .tif
And here are the names of all the textures:

l_biceps; r_biceps - Biceps (on hands next to the head)
l_triceps; r_triceps - Triceps (on hands next to the biceps)
l_hand; r_hand (on hands next to the triceps)
l_thigh; r_thigh (on your legs under your ass)
l_leg; r_leg (on your legs under your thigs)
trail_l_leg; trail_r_leg (leg texture trails)
trail_l_arm; trail_r_arm (hand texture trails)
ground (ground texture, the pictures under you)
r_pecs; l_pecs; chest; breast; stomach; groin (parts of your torso)
dq (disqualification ring)
flame (flame texture)

Previewing your textures

Of course you will want to preview your texture so you can take screenshots before selling them or just see if it fits you before activating it. This can be done even if you haven't bought the plain textures.

1) Go to the folder C : \Program Files\Toribash\custom (or wherever your toribash is located)
2) Make a new folder, name it something random , let's say "preview". So make a folder named preview.

3) You might want to create a shortcut of it and place it on your texture so it's easier to find it if you're making a whole set and constantly editing your stuff and seeing if it fits better.
4) Put your textures in the folder. Make sure they are name correctly (see above) and that they are in the format .tga

5) Now open up Toribash, go to single player and type in "/lp 0 preview" or anything your folder was named. Tori should now have the textures that you had in your folder. You can play around with them and test and stuff. You can also do this in the multiplayer and even while being a spectator, one of the players will turn out having your textures (only you can see it).

Sharing your textures

Now after you have your textures done, you might want to show it to other people or sell it on forums. Firstly, if you're gonna sell it in a thread, never just upload the texture file here because they could just steal it. If you want to just show people your textures,

1) Preview your texture (see above), get a nice pose or just go to the front or back of tori and press the F8 button.
2) Go to \screenshots, your picture will be somewhere there.
3) Go to www.imageshack.us and upload your picture. If you want, you can always open that picture in gimp/photoshop and cut or add effects to it first. In fact, i never press f8, i just use the prt screen button and paste it to photoshop.

If you've got a head, there's a way to make it circle around in gimp. You need to go to filter - animations - spinning globe. Set the animaton frames to 40, tick work on copy and transparent background. The result will look like this:

This was if you just want to show generally how the texture looks like. Now if you want to give someone a texture, there are many ways:

- You could ask the buyer his email and send the texture as attachments.
- If you have many textures you want to sell, you can pack it in winrar, go to www.sendspace.com , upload the .rar fail there and PM the link to the buyer.
- If you have just one texture, you could also upload it without packing it to rar, also on www.sendspace.com or anything like that.

Making transparent textures (using photoshop)

Your first thought would be just leaving the places you want transparent on photoshop but that wont work. For Toribash, you must use alpha channels.

- Open but your document and make your texture just like you would when doing a non - transparent one. Go to your "channels" tab (if you don't have it, go window - channels) and create a new channel.

- Now white is non transparent and black is transparent, so the darker it is, the more transparent it will be. First the channel will be all black (transparent). Go back to your layer where you have the parts you want to be visible and select them. An easy way to do that is to hold ctrl and click on the picture next to your layer name. That only works if you have your background transparent on that layer.

- Now just go back to your alpha channel and paint your selection white. You should have something like this:

- To save it, do the usual. Save as - texturename, file type - targa and don't tick that "compress (RLE)" thing.

You're done! =)

Flame particle textures

This is a bit different then the other textures. First of all, you need a flame item for this to work. The size is the same for this texture - 128*128. What it does is it adds transparency to your flame - black is transparent and white is visible. So what you can basically do is change the shape of your flame - if you draw a big heart on your texture, the flame will be full of hearts, etc. You can usually not change color with this texture, but on some rare occasions it's possible, depending on the flame you have.
SWAG
P0int<3

Last edited by Magix; Sep 7, 2009 at 10:53 AM..
Magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2008   #2
Shockwave
Forumite

10th Dan Black Belt
Clan: Relax All

nice one for the basics first! keep it up!
thread = 5/5
Talk your shit, be yourself
play the cards that you've been dealt. -E-Dubble

Hxcbbqimo: you're german
Hxcbbqimo: so you don't count
Shockwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2008   #3
maldiluna
ub3r

9th Dan Black Belt

This will help a lot of ppl, good job!
●Alpha●
●OLDA●
●ORMO●
maldiluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2008   #4
Magix
ub3r

10th Dan Black Belt

Originally Posted by maldiluna View Post
This will help a lot of ppl, good job!

Thanks. Shouldn't be that hard though, i managed to learn all this on my own (except for the texture previewing part - thanks to hanz0 for that.)

Edit: added a part about sharing them =)
SWAG
P0int<3

Last edited by Magix; Dec 4, 2008 at 04:59 AM..
Old Dec 4, 2008   #5
Chartle
I like pink fluffy elephants

2nd Dan Black Belt
Clan: Incognito

To take a screenshot you don't have use Print screen, but you can just press F8

Nice tut
[o]|ORMO|Can has?
Last edited by Chartle; Tomorrow at 13:37 AM..
Chartle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008   #6
teo1995

6th Dan Black Belt

please make me 1 mask
teo1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008   #7
Magix
ub3r

10th Dan Black Belt

Originally Posted by iPingu View Post
To take a screenshot you don't have use Print screen, but you can just press F8

Nice tut

Doesn't work for me. Infact, you're the first person that says this.

Are you sure you're not using a special program?

Originally Posted by teo1995 View Post
please make me 1 mask

If you want what i think you want, go to the Art/Textures - Request subforum.
SWAG
P0int<3
Old Dec 4, 2008   #8
Chartle
I like pink fluffy elephants

2nd Dan Black Belt
Clan: Incognito

Ohs... Works for me D:
[o]|ORMO|Can has?
Last edited by Chartle; Tomorrow at 13:37 AM..
Chartle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2008   #9
Malvado
Raconteur

4th Dan Black Belt

thanks , this was very helpful
Malvado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2008   #10
ToriKoRn

Brown Belt

So when you sell a head texture for example; you get a pic of it as it would look in the game and put it on the thread, than when someone buys it, they transfer the amount they payed for it, and than you just give them a link to the original texture?
Can't the person you sell it to give out the link or send it to other people?
Thanx

*I might have BUMPED this, so im just being safe*
ToriKoRn is offline   Reply With Quote