Ranking
Original Post
The Fox asks questions, and corrects mistakes. (Invaders are welcome)
During a relaxing smoke, I realized that the only times I can keep a conversation going, is when I feel I have to correct someone on something or when the subject interests me, like language, grammar, spelling, and to some degree, video game lore.
I can't for the love of it do like normal people and keep a conversation going by talking nonsensical bullshit, just does not compute.

And I am interested(enough) to find out more about you other individuals.
I will correct what I find needing correction, except for overly grammar- and spelling-broken posts by idiotic invaders or trolling toddlers(Dubs).

So, onwards to the question:
How do YOU keep a conversation going?
Last edited by crazylars; Nov 20, 2012 at 05:23 AM.
Keep a conversation going
Wh
Nah man I never even think about keeping a convo going it just happens
IF THE PERSON YOU'RE TALKING TO DOESN'T SUCK I'M PRETTY SURE YOU COULD TALK TO THEM WITHOUT EVEN THINKING ABOUT THINGS TO SAY
Okay it just comes natural to me because I only talk to awesome people
RANDOM SHIFTING OF TOPICS IS FUN
I BARELY EVER HAVE A CONVERSATION THAT DOESN'T INVOLVE ME CRACKING UP FOR 30 MINUTES STRAIGHT.
Last edited by fluffykat; Nov 20, 2012 at 04:58 AM.
Fuck.
I must correct one mistake you made that bothered me quite a bit: A person can be awesome and not suck, but still not be able to keep a conversation going. Lack of social abilities does not necessarily mean lack of personality or character.
I WORDED IT WRONG DIDN'T I I'M SORRY DIDN'T MEAN IT LIKE THAT
I MEANT COMPATIBILITY
Fuck.
I agree, compatibility is a massive factor within meaniingless non-discussional conversations.
Something on tumblr I saw suitable was a line of text that got reblogged a lot, which was some blogger floundering to find a solution in getting their friends to understand that "I don't want to talk to you about anything, I just want to talk to you". That was a weird and foreign thought to me.

Only at a length can I figure out how to make though conversation a connection between what's on someone's mind to whatever I think deeply about or do day-to-day so I just talk unrelated to anything I give a flying flipper about there, but relevant to people it all checks out sensibly and then any revision to what I know is secondary to any revision to how my person is now positioned among other people, mostly the position I have with whoever I’m talking to. Usually referred to by the phrase, making a good impression. Conversing is just sort of defining that relationship to me: there's that wit or info relevant to people that can hit home and keep the conversation going as long I kind of know the person. If I don't the easy solution that I heard somewhere was about getting people to talk about themselves with questions because most people have a way to start spouting info about themselves.

yeah.
What happens if the person you are talking with makes no grammatical mistakes ?
You sit there in awkward silence ?

Also I just shift subjects and end up cracking jokes. Fucking physics class. I laughed the whole class due to finding out my friend and I could do some greeeeeat rape faces. Shit happens.
Last edited by dbuhos; Nov 20, 2012 at 12:09 PM.
People like talking about their lives. And to a certain degree (depending on my respect for them) I do like to hear about it. I ask questions, and if they continue answering, we're in a conversation. Honestly, I do sometimes continue conversations with people who I could really care less about, but mostly because I try not to be too arrogant, and I don't mind the idea I'm wrong about the person and maybe they're more interesting than I thought. I give many chances for people to prove themselves to me. I never ignore a message online or start a conversation I don't intend to keep going. I also give a conversation a fair go before I give a legitimate reason for why I would like to stop.

There was this one time I got a 'hello' from Dubs and I missed it and felt bad. I sent one to him a day or so after and now we're even. :3

Another reason why I like conversations: sometimes while talking I make realisations about things that I may be talking about. There's also something about maintaining social standing that I find interesting.
HEy
I'm weird
Also what I said basically only goes for people I know
I never keep stable conversations with people I don't know. Usually it's just answering their question or something and yet I still don't warm up to them or want to
Last edited by fluffykat; Nov 20, 2012 at 01:10 PM.
Fuck.
Originally Posted by dbuhos View Post
What happens if the person you are talking with makes no grammatical mistakes ?
You sit there in awkward silence ?

More or less, if the conversation dies down like that, most people have brains enough to understand that it's not going anywhere and I simply don't want to or can't be bothered keeping it going right then and there, but some dimwits(example: one of the nurses who brings me my meds) keep trying to hit a subject for conversation for 30-40 minutes by speaking nonsensical bullshit befire they realise they will not succeed.
Eventually some of the nonsense is about something that I'd like people to actually have the correct info on, so I correct them, after that, conversation either dies because nothing more is said about the matter, or a discussion starts about it.

Meaning I do not only correct mistakes in the form of grammar, in real life conversation, sentence-building rarely bothers me unless it's really dumbed down. Mostly comes toinformational errors about subjects I know and care for.
Last edited by crazylars; Nov 20, 2012 at 02:36 PM.