Toribash
Original Post
Computer suddenly overheating with small programs?
Hey, this afternoon I come home to turn on the computer and start up toribash, after I have done so. About 10 minutes in it turns off.. Rebooting it back up I get the message "Previously shut down due to thermal event" or something. I immediately go to figure out whats causing it. My CPU usage will be at 2-3% with just a browser up, but when I bring Toribash up it goes straight away to 100% consistently. Other programs such as flash games or Skype seem to operate as Toribash does.. Normal, then 100%.

I am completely unsure of what this might be, nothing suspicious has happened, so I'm not expecting a virus. Also until now my computer has been running perfectly for a long time.. I only just cleaned out my tower of dust and gunk about 3 weeks ago. It is pretty hot down here in Australia, but when is it not if you think about it :/

My specs are:

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4CP 3.20GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2046 RAM
Display: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS
I'm not sure if you need most of these as I am not completely sure on what I should give, as I do not know what is wrong
Life is like Basketball. Aim, Concentrate, Balance and Following through. That's all you ever need to accomplish your goals.
Hmm, it ether sounds like your possessor fan has stopped working or maybe your video card fan may have stopped working (without these you will overheat within a matter of minuets). Open your computer up and let the computer turn on and see if your getting enough airflow. Yea I re-read what you put and it would have to be the possessor because all of your information goes threw it. Ether your possessor fan might have went bad or your whole possessor went bad, because your possessor is what the cpu uses. I am not 100% sure because im not there to test it.

Another thing is check and see if any thing is running in the background that doesn't seem like it should like AVG running a scan or something.

And a question, is your video card an on board or did you put it in yourself?

I believe its an on board.

Thanks for the quick reply by the way
Last edited by Oimanoi; Feb 10, 2011 at 12:15 PM.
Life is like Basketball. Aim, Concentrate, Balance and Following through. That's all you ever need to accomplish your goals.
I can't hear anything really other than the continuous droning fan like noise that comes on with booting it up. Not even sure if its a fan.. (Not that experienced with the insides of computers)
Ok if its on board it usually doesn't have a fan so in my conclusion its prolly your possessor fan has went bad. Sorry but this is all I can think of.

Alright thanks anyway. I just got it looked at by a mate. He believes its most likely the cpu itself. The processor is running at 104 degrees celcius. With the fan running at max. *face palm*.