Toribash
Original Post
Secrets Way to Sparring
This tutorial will help you achive better sparring replays

Teorical Guide on How to do good sparring.
First, lets learn definition of Sparring:

Sparring is a form of training common to many combat sports. Although the precise form varies, it is essentially relatively 'free-form' fighting, with enough rules, customs, or agreements to make injuries unlikely. By extension, argumentative debate is sometimes called "verbal sparring".

In other words 2 gentlemen get together to perform a series of movement on each other. In Toribash Sparring has rules and a conduct so it becomes, infact a spar.
IŽll devide this guide in 3 parts that i feel should be focused in a sparring session in Toribash:
-Essential Factors.
-Basic Factors.
-Advanced Factors.

And will also Cover the "How to make sparring more simple to do in MP and SP in the last part.
Essential Factors:
These are things that you MUST have if you ever hope on how to do a "Pr00zordzzzMLGn0sC0pe360xxxxxx" replay (a good replay).

First you must understand fluidness, fluidness is when you make your tori move smoothly and nice, just like in real life.... if you move like a tree you wount be able to spar good.

Next should be your running, has sparring in toribash involves you moving from A to B and jumping like a cricket isnt very realistic now is it? Heres a tutorial that covers the basics...just in case.

A golden skill is balancing, in sparring if your able to remain balanced and simply not tip over you will have a much better time executing moves and such.

A thing that most dont think about, but knowing how to hit. Just like in real life you have to know how to hit while on Toribash its more of a realistic factor where fluidness and timing come in.
In other words you arent going hit your enemy with your ass after jumping like a cricket.

Next theres something that many people have diferent oppinions, im talking about grabbing in sparring. Normally you dont play with grab on, but i advice when playing in certain mods other then default.tbm / classic.tbm that involve objects or platforms and such to play with grab because you may need it to make the replay look better or not to ruin it. But you should not in any situation other then what i mentioned grab your opponent.

This concludes what i find to be essential factors to sparring.
On with the basic factors, these are the base of any sparring session in Toribash.
Now that you just learned the NOT TO and the MUST DO of Sparring lets see what you should do while sparring.

REALISM**REA-FKIN-LISM**REALISM

OH SNAP , thats right, realism is the corner stone of Sparring. If your replay doesnt look real, dont bother saving it.

Since this is Toribash realism in a sparring session should resemble 2 gentlemen fighting.

The following are things you should keep in mind while sparring:

- If you get hit on your head, accordingly to the force applied on it, you should fall to the ground, such is achived by relaxing all and letting the force take you. This rules also applies to other body parts, just think if you get kicked in the head/stomach/groin with great force in real life im PRETTY SURE you aint screaming comando and just convulse on who did this( like some of you make your tori move).

-It doesnt matter who wins or loses, your focused on makeing it look real and not on how much you bash the other tori.

-Dont constrict you opponent, just because you cant grab it doesnt mean you can bear hug him or scissor him. This should be avoided has it breaks flow and momentum.

-Avoid jumping like a cricket, remember...REALISM, humans are cricket hybrids.

-Try to have a type of base, being able to stand up although not mandatory also help makeing it look more real.

With these things in mind and capacitys, you are now capable of sparring with strangers sucessfully because you are minimaly educated on how to start a sparring session.
I can not ensure you THAT your opponent knows how to...
OK! now that we know the basics ill go tru the things i consider the advanced factors of a sparring sesion.

-Dodging! These can be intuitive by your own self or you can coordinate them with your sparring buddy.

-Blocking! These can be intuitive by your own self or you can coordinate them with your sparring buddy.

-Big air impacts! These can be hiting a mid air tori or a tori getting airborn to deliever a devastating blow to their opponent.

-Tori platforming! Might sound tricky, but what i mean is useing ur opponent has terrain, imagine doing a wall flip with you buddy helping you or appling a hurricanrana, a suplex, a powerbomb...etc. ( i do realise i said not to contrict your opponent back there, but this is when you are your sparring partner arent coordinated.)

-Objects! Certain mods detain weapons that can be used for more visual impact, just remember to tell your body what you will do with them, we dont want anyone getting cuts.
Now to wrap things up i just need to give you some tips about MP and SP
IN Single Player, you can use the same tips i used here in the last section, but keep in mind you will have to control 2 toris.
Also Sparring is done at -30 gravity and it goes with no grab, no dq, no dismemb and no frac.

IN Multiplayer, just comunicate and do whatever you wish(be creative), just follow them guidelines.

FLAGS:
use 16 if you want to be able to grab.
use 4 for regular spar.

Here are replays where you can see sparring by EJM, and example how to run(with rebounds and you can see a novice runner), and a dance replay that its only objective is that you may have another example on fluidness.

ALSO: in case my tutorial doesnt shed light, here a vid done by true spar entusiasts , it should help to.
Attached Files
SecretSpar,ejm.rpl (894.1 KB, 16 views)
secretrun.rpl (431.0 KB, 9 views)
secretdance.rpl (553.3 KB, 10 views)
Last edited by TheSecret; Jan 31, 2013 at 05:00 AM.
TheSecret is sexy ;3 and he helped me with this!
-----
I think that standing up during a spar. Or at least keeping yourself up should be one of the things you DO need to think of when you spar. It makes you seem more real in my opinion, you are able to stand like an actual human. Where as doing things like pushing off of your arm's is not as realistic. Also blocking should be apart of the advanced moves. It is not easy to block, make it look real, and do it successfully. This thread will help lot's of other's though.
Last edited by iemagazine; Jan 31, 2013 at 04:43 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Alive and Kicking again, [SECRET], former artist, I lose all my matches.
added blocking and balancing.

Standing up is a basic skill, since its something basic to sparring, essentials are things that if they dont exist, there will be no spar. You can spar without getting up.

But thats my view.
Also tutorial worthy? add this to the tutorial section someone
Hahaha, I never thought you guys would post a tut on sparring, but nice way to put how sparring should be. I bet this will help a lot of people. Nice job. If I could I'll put a replay of one of my spars I did and see if that sparring replay I made kinda matchs the tut.
Replay thread

Just made...

I keep tilting to the side while trying to take the first step, and those times when it doesn't happen, my legs end up being dragged along the ground.
McDill , if you'd like , we could get ingame now and train together.i'd say i'm decent at spar.
Nigma Disconnected
Quit Game.