Toribash
First of all, Dirt was clearly AIC's breakthrough album, both critically and commercially, as Facelift was a relative commercial and critical failure. After releasing Facelift, Alice In Chains were as famous as Nirvana was after releasing Bleach. That is to say, not very famous at all. Now I have nothing wrong with adding great songs that were never famous until fairly long after they were made (see anything by the Velvet Underground), so that is not enough reason to not move it higher. It also made it onto both of these fairly prestigious lists as you said. Unfortunately, I have no trust for Vh1 voters (they placed Livin' On a Prayer - Bon Jovi as the greatest song of the '80s). In addition to that, the second list you mentioned was a list made by GuitarWorld magazine, not Vh1 (Vh1 doesn't have a magazine). My distrust for Vh1 is shown in that many of the songs listed higher than Man in the Box in the Vh1 list are not even on this list. (see Welcome to the Jungle, Back in Black, You've Got Another Thing Coming, etc.). I realize that just because a song is a good metal song doesn't instantly make it good enough to be here (see Back in Black), and vice versa (See A Day In the Life). So, the fact that Man in the Box is among the "greatest" metal songs in a joke TV network's list is not irrelevant, but not very helpful. As for guitar solos, I like that list, but the same rule applies: just because a song has a good guitar solo doesn't mean it's good enough to be here (see Maggot Brain - Funkadelic) and vice versa (see London Calling). This rule is because music is more than specific lists about genres and solos. So, all this (lack of majormainstream success [edit: it did reach number 8 on the modern rock tracks], being on an list not worth crediting, and another list that is only mildly interesting but fairly irrelevant) begs the question... why is this so important? You tell me. Was it inspiring to a whole generation of drug abusers and low-life cast-offs from society? That would be important. Or was it just a stereotypical grunge-metal song? These are questions I need you to answer, or I'll chose what the hard evidence shows.