Ranking
Originally Posted by Galt View Post
I can guarentee you that in the two years students would study economics they wouldn't be able to cover all of the influencial economists. They'd probably just teach you about Bartlett, Diamond and Hardin. They probably wouldn't even mention Sowell and Simon.

One more thing, there already is an economics elective in most Australian public schools. The only public schools that don't have an economic class would probably just have a lack of teachers. I've got a few friends of mine doing that economics class, I'll ask them tommorow what they study in it.

The economics taught in schools is not taught so people understand the different standpoints of every economist, its taught so they understand the applicable theories and economic practices and solutions used in their countries. Maynard Keynes is the founder of that school of economic thought but his work isn't solely used in our economy, also his work has been improved by many other economists.

The philosophy thing, well, there is a lot to learn but I do think that perhaps an introduction to it in order to ignite a spark could be a good thing. I will be 18 soon and it has taken me until now, really, to discover philosophy at all. Surely I have found it at a young age by comparison to some. I would assume that as people grow older and change the way they see the world they may have become interested in philosophy as they got older, but if they had known of it earlier perhaps they would have become interested in it earlier or known where to start when they did finally gain an interest.

Sure enough, the Philosopher kings may spring to mind when talking of educating everyone in philosophy, but tbh I feel that we have been unfortunate in the selection of those whom have been called Philosopher Kings and through further education, we may get a good one.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ALL HAIL THE METAPHOR!!