Ranking
Original Post
What separates a good replay from a great replay?
This is kinda a repeat of this thread from 09, but I think ormo should at least have some srs bsns talk about replays every once in a while instead of shitposting in the nuclear rainbow thread all the time.

Sometimes its really hard to say why you liked a replay, and to the degree to which you liked it.
In the #ormo irc, we've said a few times how we think giving replays a "rating" out of 10 is pointless, because its so hard to know what criteria you're judging by, and it mostly comes down to preference.
Some people prefer to be wowed by pure technical ability. Some of Jaker's records have a solid case for being the best replay ever.

Myself though, the thing that really makes me love a replay is uniqueness. It doesn't have to be an outlandish idea that no one's had before, in fact, if done incorrectly that kind of replay could come across as gimmicky. For me, its not in the ideas, but the execution. Technical execution is one thing, but to make stylistic choices to make the replay your own is what really drives it home for me. Some players combine technicality and style (War_Hero, NutHug, Largekilla), and I think those guys are the ones who have the best case for being the greatest ever. There's no greater feat for a replaymaker than for you to be able to distinguish them without even having to look at the name, just the movement. If you can be that distinctive, on top of a strong technical execution, I believe that's what creates the greatest replays, and what distinguishes the amazeballs favorites of the community from the perpetual wallowers of the "yeah he's pretty good" tier

What do you guys think? What makes a replay/replaymaker stand out as fantastic?
[12:00] <fudgiebalz> toribash SUCKS
Check my ~~~Dank Replays~~~