Endurance Onslaught 6.0
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Original Post
God as a Moral Relativist
I'm not sure if this has been proposed before (it probably has, and undoubtedly by someone much more articulate and well-versed in philosophy than I am), but I've been toying with the idea of an alternative to the standard idea of a Christian god for monotheists that solves the question of "why does evil exist in a world created by a being who the Bible says is a perfect good?".

That solution is this: God is, in fact, a meta-ethical relativist-- that is, God believes as fact that morality is inherently normative and that no set standard of ethics can or should ever exist. This explains not only the existence of what some perceive as "evil", or objective wrong, but also the apparent incompatibility of human beings being created in the image of a benevolent God but being capable of committing "evil" without being punished on the mortal plane. It also provides an answer to Epicurus' "God and Evil" question in that it does not posit that God is inherently good or that an objective good even exists.

I have a lot more to say about this, but I'm not sure how to put it in writing. Feel free to ask questions or poke criticism at my thoughts-- I usually respond better to questioning than I do just writing without provocation.
back from the dead