Toribash
Re: Toribash 2.0 Pre Order
Originally Posted by Fatty

I feel the game isn't mature enough yet to warrent having to pay for it, needs a bit more polish.
As a throught when it is more mature hampa should look into releasing it on steam or something similar.

There are a few basicly one man games out there though that are alot more advanced than this, the roller coaster tycoon series I think is basicly done by one guy(atleast the first 2 in the series). There is also this game http://www.fl-tw.com/Infinity/index.php (a fully procedually generated galaxy with smooth space to planet transitions) which all the programming is done by one guy in his free time

One guy? XD Read the credits plzkthx.
Firstly, there's the lead programmer/ lead director of programming/ team lead/whatever you might call him/her who always gets the name on the box/title/visible spot and then there's the dozen of grunt programmers, 3D artist, sound artists composers.... Need i continue?

Originally Posted by Tombot
I'm sure there will be enough players, players that have stolen it of Emule. :P

That's easy to counter with a simple registration key of own making that will be validified from main-serverside alone.
Besides, software pirates DO NOT touch smaller projects like this, Unrealworld, Uplink(first version) plus most shareware games.
What what? In the butt.
Jesus, if you cant buy the game, then dont and stop bitching a making up reasons why no one else should, go play runescape or whatever the hell, you have no right to insult Hampa or anyone else for that matter. If you think garrys mod is so much better then Toribash, then go play that and stop wasteing space here.

[T]
#hi

I'm not an expert coder nor i know much of how HL2 is coded, but i really could code Garry's mod up to version 3 (it's first peak of popularity) in approx 1-2 weeks, with all the graphics et.c. in it. An expert coder couldn't finish the accurate physics engine Toribash uses(which still needs tweaking here and there) in 4 weeks.

Get your facts right, Tombot.
Garry's mod before the built-in Lua scripting was not too much of work, really. An expert coder could do similar in say 2-4 weeks?(up to the version just before the LUA scripting stuff) And Garry admitted it himself, he's lazy coder.
What what? In the butt.
Already preordered and I hadn't even read the whole e-mail I got about it yet. I spent more in an hour at Chili's last night, yet I've spent more time than I can remember enjoying this game. Easy decision.
i hate it when games i love turn pay to play... first ragnarok... now this... whats next?
lyh oui ihtancdyht drec?
ev oui lyh
maadhacc
Okay, looks like Gmod isn't really a good comparison...

Think about Soldat, then.

Michał Marcinkowski has done about the same (if not more) coding and programming than Hampa, over 4 years. The game has built-in server creation, mapping and modding support, character customization, and has some extras, mostly cosmetic features, for $9. The core game (including mod support) is availiable for free, and you can play single player or online without limitations.

Seriously, I'm not whining because I can't/don't want to pay. Take a look at the Soldat community. It's pretty big, most probably because the game is for free. Those who like the game enough, and have the funds to do so, donate, but Michal doesn't expect much from it. Soldat a side project of his, anyway. If you made Soldat shareware (so players would have to pay to unlock key features in the game), you can be absolutely sure less than 20% of the community would still play it.

So, if it is for Toribash to become shareware, it still needs a few urgent things implemented, like built-in server support.
Here are the important facts:

Toribash is going shareware. (i hate that word)
Toribash will need to be paid for to upgrade to version 2.0.

Hampa has so far lost money because of Toribash.

Hampa will continue to loose money due to Toribash if this is not done.

Some people will not pay and will either stay on version 1.99, or will stop playing.

Those that do leave will be missed, but it is inevitable.

There is nothing you can do to change this.

These are the facts. They are infalliable and you can try to argue against these, but nothing will change.
This argument will end up nowhere, and us mods will have fun after this is all over (having paid for the game, and getting to delete some of these stupid posts!)
I has a flavour
I am AMAZED with how long people have been complaining about this, 11 pages. Either buy the game, support Hampa's hard work, and have a great game to play for a price that isn't all that high, or don't buy it, and find something else to do!
Originally Posted by Tombot
Tombot breaks it down.
To finish the Garry's mod argument:
Garry's mod will only be $10, but for howmany people?

Everone in the world.

I will be getting a copy, as will many more people. Lets make a low estimate at 50'000 people. Garry suddenly earned $500'000 (minus whatever of that $10 valve take for having it on Steam).

Toribash does not have 50'000 people. Call it 250 people.

Yes, this is one of problems.

At $24 each, that is $6000.
With server costs being $300 per month

The servers in half life are often hosted on the home computers themselves, so it saves money. it would save money if Toribash helped to do this by having means of online play, but I digress.

Toribash will be break even after 20 months, or just over 1.5 years.

Bam, more doom.

This does not include any money Hampa decides to take for himself to live and eat for his hard work.

This should not have to be a concern

Now for Garry's mod: $500'000 and call it $600 per month (unlikely) for servers (since they will be more powerful to handle the extra traffic). just short of 69.5 years. Who here is ripping everyone off?

Not them certainly, infact its the god damn community that keeps Gmod afloat, ands they don't piss people by removing and Lobotomising the previous versions of itself.

Garry's mod only uses the Half Life 2 engine, and just allows you to add your own stuff in-game. Garry's mod is nothing more than a few scripted menus.

WRONG!

*windows break, glass shatters and so on*

Gmod is much more than you could possibly assume it to be, Garry has put a lot of work into making sure everything works correctly and has put a lot of time of Refining the code and adjusting the very core of the half life two engine. you are wrong.

No physics engine, no graphics engine - they are all HL2.

Wrong again.

Toribash is a full game, physics, graphics, everything was made by Hampa. Garry scripted a few things, and he was lucky that it caught on and became so popular

Wrong again, Garrys mod built it when another similair mod existed to test what the half life two engine was capable of, it 'caught on' because it was genuinly unique and people supported it at every stage with much more devotion than here.

(so he added more stuff).

Lots and lots and lots of people added more stuff you Bigot.

Hampa has already done more than Garry.

Do you ever tire of bieng wrong? :

Yes that is definatly true. The amount of fun you can have with garrys mod is almost unlimited.

Garry has programed so much stuff into the game its not even funny. The guy who you responded to said that its all LUA and so its easy. LUA is verry complicated, and to be able to incorperate it flawlessly into the hl2 engine is a feat allone.

Also garry only gets 5 dollars per garrys mod sale. Valve gets the other half.

People can host garrys mod servers for free while they play on their own computer.

TorriBash is an extremely small game that is somewhat entertaining for a while.

People could probably create a version of toribash for garrys mod, and it would be more customizable and better graphics.

$14.00 is too much to pay for an unseen game. And $25.00 is too much to pay for a simple ragdoll fighitng game.