Ranking
OC can cause you to brick your CPU even if it doesn't fry, the main reason clock speeds are where they are is to prevent read write errors, increasing the clock speed increases the risk of an invalid read
When I see you, my heart goes DOKI⑨DOKI
Fish: "Gorman has been chosen for admin. After a lengthy discussion we've all decided that Gorman is the best choice for the next admin."
i have to say thnx to cuz i whanted to OC my c2d 2.66 ~2.8
but i am not gonna to do it
well i play crysis high-verry high (mix settings) at +-47 degrees with no water cooling
i got 120mm fan in front ,80mm fan that sucs out the hot air , and 1 high speed cooling fan (80mm) that is blow on the cpu and part of the mother bord

i am thingking fo getting 1 more fan
Originally Posted by Gorman View Post
OC can cause you to brick your CPU even if it doesn't fry, the main reason clock speeds are where they are is to prevent read write errors, increasing the clock speed increases the risk of an invalid read

The CPU doesn't read/write... That's the hard drive/RAM.

But, CPUs are at the speed they are because it's the most stable speed when they were testing it.

Also: CPUs that say they can be overclocked were actually tested by the manufacturer at those speeds, then they underclocked it.
i liek turtelz xd
Yes, actually your power supply is probably pushing its limits right now, let alone if you overclock.

In related news, Gorman is very general, and also very wrong. However he is correct in that processors do read and write, so jared you're quite misinformed. The processor actually does read and write to and from the harddrive and RAM.

However, you cannot harm your processor by changing the frequency it runs at. The only way overclocking will harm your components are if you increase voltage too much, in which case your processor could overheat and die in that way. Also, if your motherboard is a weak sack of shit, it could also die when you increase vcore. However, I don't know of this happening on minor overclocks. Simply be intelligent and monitor your temperatures, you'll be fine.
Well my BIOS won't let me change anything to overclock it. :<

What OC software have you found to be most stable and easy to use?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

DarkJak's Wide-Range Texture Shop[LINK]

Incognito - [o]
Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
However he is correct in that processors do read and write, so jared you're quite misinformed. The processor actually does read and write to and from the harddrive and RAM.

We're both right. The CPU writes to RAM, but it Tells the circuits on the HD to perform those operations. So, it indirectly reads/writes to the HD.

I'm taking a course on this in a technical school. I suppose you're doing the same?
i liek turtelz xd
Wow, my power supply is just 400 watts, not 450 D:
So I think I'll REALLY have to upgrade it.

Would you guys recommend this one?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182188

it's 1000 watts, which is kinda overkill, but it's a lot cheaper than the others. There aren't any major compatibility checks are there? My rig isn't too fancy.

EDIT:

The second poster in this thread makes me believe that my stuttering is caused by power supply
http://www.bjorn3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29328
Last edited by DarkJak; Jan 2, 2010 at 04:16 AM.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

Incognito - [o]
I have a 2.9 AMD athlon cpu and I over clocked it to 3.3

It can go up to 3.5 but I like to keep it safe.
Proud leader of [TANG]
Old Schooler
Well my video card and processor alone brought me up to 300 watts. I ordered the PSU. I'll see if that fixes everything.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

Incognito - [o]