Endurance Onslaught 6.0
Originally Posted by Bio View Post
And what happens if someone like me gets put into a religion class? It would be a pain in the fucking ass to get removed every time that happened for the next 4 years. Same for evolution in science class. I'm an atheist and I wouldn't be able to stand a class on religion.

You would trust me, I have been a year in a half christian half atheist school and have had religion almost every day for 1 hour, its actually fun. If you don't agree with anything they say argue with them, and try to learn their point of view so you better can support your own point of view. I'm myself an atheist, and our discussions and lessons have made me a "better" atheist. And remember that religion is a huge part of culture/history therefore it should be though with some precautions.

For once the religion teacher should be neutral minded (unlike ours) and other religions should be teached on a equal standard. Just keep science and religion separate and it should be fine.
-I'm on Gorman's side
Religion and science collide
You cant mix religious beliefs with scientifical proof

boricua

I don't see why evolution shouldn't be taught. It's a major scientific theory, with a good bit of evidence behind it. As previously said, if someone finds it offensive, then they could opt out, but it shouldn't be ignored. As with most scientific "laws," it's a theory, just like gravity.
ಠ_ರೃ - "Quite so, good sir."
If your a strong believer in a religion don't you think you should have to LEARN about the alternatives to be able to say god exists? How is someone going to know if evolution is offensive to them if they are never even exposed to it.

It isn't the kids that are getting offended here, its the parents. This is just another example of blinded parents that are to set on their views getting in the way of a kids education.
Evolution should be taught, I see no reason for kids to opt out of learning about it.

And before some close minded religious fanatic posts, im not an atheist.
[sigpic][/sigpic]
From a looong time ago:
[21:56]<Blam>ManBreakfast: Frunk wants to know why you banned him from IRC
[21:56]<ManBreakfast>oh, fuck
[21:56]=-=Mode #toribash -b Frunk!*Frankie'sip by ManBreakfast
Oh boy. I was under the impression that evolution was considered a truth until now. In Texas, it's taught in most of our biology classes and co-exists even with Christian influences in education. If you choose not to teach evolution to children then you're denying them a basic scientific truth.

In fact, I believe what any argument is having trouble getting over is not whether it should be taught in school, but if it is true at all. LGOX didn't put any reasoning behind believing in God, and although I am a Muslim myself, I do not turn to God to solve all my problems and I happen to see the world objectively without any religious interference.
SemiSarim
It's all about teaching theories, not hard facts. The THEORY of evolution, the THEORY of The Big Bang. Whether to believe in them or not should be the students' own choice, but as long as it isn't presented as confirmed factualities, I see no room for anyone to complain about their kids being taught it.
Originally Posted by CMon View Post
It's all about teaching theories, not hard facts. The THEORY of evolution, the THEORY of The Big Bang. Whether to believe in them or not should be the students' own choice, but as long as it isn't presented as confirmed factualities, I see no room for anyone to complain about their kids being taught it.

Exactly.

Honestly, if we weren't taught evolution, we would have no idea about how anything came to be how it is today, and as hard as it is to believe, it would more than likely make us have a worse time in a history class. I have been taught about evolution from 7-10th grade so far, and I am very interested in it. It has taught me a lot about how we came to be who we are, and has taught me about some of the world's overall history. I am really hoping my science class in 11th grade will have a unit over it, or at least talk about it, because it really is a good thing to learn about. Why wouldn't you want to learn about evolution?

About religion, I don't really care for it, but I still think we should be taught about it so we can have a better understanding of how it all came to be. If you think about it, it's like learning our version of Greek Mythology or Roman Mythology, and I loved learning about those types of things.

In other words, yes, we should be taught evolution. Where would we be without it?
I believe evolution should be taught.
Even though some religions dont believe in it doesnt mean it doesnt deserve to be taught to children.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Originally Posted by CMon View Post

Actually, a scientific theory is fact.

Gravity, disease and evolution are all considered fact.

Wiki even has an article to sort out the confusion.

TL;DR: 'Theory' in science means something different than it does in common speech.
Yes it should be taught because
knowing theres no god doesn't
hurt anyone.
High quality avatars and signatures 5k each or 7k for bundles.