Toribash
You didn't quote anyone and you seem to ramble around aimlessly in a non-direct response to anything post in this thread, so I'll just assume you aren't replying to anything in particular...
I don't quote people because I like to write a coherent text, as everyone should. Toribash discussion is the only place I ever saw that made a habit of commenting on each line of someone. It's rather awkward and I don't like it at all.
Originally Posted by Redundant View Post
People are able to argue that they were drunk when they did bad things because it is the truth. Why would you not want people to use the truth in a court?
Surely that does not mean that being drunk is an excuse to do bad things. It just means that their rationality was unable to function properly in that situation.
If being drunk cannot be used to evaluate how bad a crime is, then what can? Anger? Ice cold development of a strategy to harm someone? Not only the result of an action matters in a courtroom. How those actions came to be matters as well. It is a great difference if someone kills his wife during a fight or plans the murder for several weeks and executes it with a calm mind. Intoxication is also a factor that needs to be taken into consideration unless you think that being willfully ignorant is a good thing.

Premeditated murder is obviously not the same as manslaughter.

Using intoxication as an excuse and claiming that this made the situation out of your control is unacceptable.

I believe I already said that people should be held accountable to their actions.
We could declare that the act of advertising drugs is immoral and proceed to ban pro drug ads. I see no problem with that, seeing as ads tend to be very manipulative and that drugs are viewed upon as negative thing in general. That does not limit a person's personal freedom to choose to do those drugs, nor does it heavily affect the economy. That would be a healthy way of going about this situation.

Unfortunately there are people who do abuse various substances. Whether these people have mental illness or are just addicted is a problem in itself, we should tackle the root cause.
Compared to actual problems we have with drugs, that seems to be a rather minor one.
There are drug related problems that are far greater. Look at South America, for instance. Drug lords vs police.
Drugs are already banned there. The drugs that got prohibited gave those druglords the ability to gain insane amount of moneys by circumventing the laws. Those people have no interest in a change of those laws.
I dare to suggest that prohibiting things that are high in demand is the root of a lot of criminal acts all around the world. Gotta ask yourself what's worse: Legalized junkies or war on the streets. People who want to do illegal drugs can do illegal drugs already. They don't care about them being illegal. It's just insanely unsafe and many people suffer due to that.
Why not provide an environment where those people can do drugs safely in a way that does not endanger people as it does today?
Legalizing it does not mean condoning it, and you still can take measures to prevent people from taking those drugs, as long as those do not interfere with the freedom to choose.

Well, that's not the purpose of laws lol.

The purpose of laws is to define what is and is not acceptable. Murder? Not acceptable. Theft? Not acceptable. Drugs? Not acceptable. I don't want to live in a society filled with substance abusers, and most people don't want to either.

I won't subscribe to your false dicotomy, I choose option 3: I think it's much better to have a society without any substance abusers. Whether it's a case of educating the people who make bad choices, or jailing them is another matter.
We could also get a take on firearms as well, I guess, since this thread seems to be about everything now.
Banning firearms in a country where the general populace believes that the possession of guns is immoral is correct. If it is the consensus and generally agreed upon there is no problem with that.
The problem occurs once you try to ban firearms in a country where guns are an important part of the culture, and people own firearms traditionally as well as for safety reasons.
In those countries banning firearms would be immoral because people have a high demand for them, and taking away their rights to secure their own safety is not a very clever way to deal with a criminal environment. When a person feels the need to protect himself you should examine his situation closely and then form an opinion if his environment is, in fact, dangerous. Declaring right away that those firearms should be taken off the streets no matter what is a very ignorant way of dealing with the situation.
When there is a high demand for firearms there will be firearms, even if there is a ban. The only thing you are going to accomplish is that many more people will become criminal, some people will make a lot of money with being criminal, and in the end you caused more problems than you solved.

This kind of thinking is extremely dangerous. Do people want firearms or do they want safety? They are selfishly sacrificing safety in order to have firearms. To the residence of Sodom, Sodom was a moral place - is this acceptable?

If your society has various problems (substance abuse, or firearm lust) then they will attempt to change the laws to fit their warped worldview. You need to fix the problems with the people first - you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.
Of course that does not mean that firearms should go totally unchecked. There are certain ones that are more dangerous to your own safety than others. A grenade, for instance, has very little value in a street fight. You cannot defend yourself with it. It can only be used offensively. Therefore the access to grenades should be restricted, and I believe that most people all over the world would agree that the access to grenades should be restricted. The primary function of a grenade is causing a lot of destruction, which is a bad thing. So a ban would make sense here.
The primary function of a handgun, however, is not destruction. It's security. So saying that owning a handgun in general is a bad thing would be wrong.

I could write more now, but I am getting lazy and tired.
Go ahead and plow through my reasoning.

Handguns kill FAR more people than grenades.
Last edited by Redundant; Mar 26, 2014 at 07:27 PM.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
Yes, I understand that you strive for an ideal situation where everyone behaves as they ought to, according to your personal understanding.
That, however, is not efficient and will not solve many problems but create a lot of new ones, as I argued in my previous post.
A law that does not work at all, or very limited, should not be a law. What point does a law have when it cannot be enforced with the desired effects? Literally none, it only criminalizes people.
Your idea of a drug free society is a good one. Not many people (as in a great majority) agree with that drug free society though, and you will limit the freedom of those greatly who do not agree with it. Those who do not agree with it will attempt to become free to choose what they wish, thus becoming criminals. Now you have a lot of criminal people, nor a drug free society. Now, do you really think that is a good society to live in?
Are you willing to criminalize those who do not agree with your moral code?

I personally choose to respect people's moral codes as long as they respect my freedom to choose my own as well, and I think that is a healthy way of going about that.
Everything else leads to pain and suffering, because people do not tolerate others who claim the authority to limit their freedom significantly.

Also, be aware that I do not speak in absolutes. I definitely do not respect a person who attempts to morally justify something I personally consider evil by default.
How are you?
10% of the USA uses marijuana - the most pervasive drug. How can you say " Not many people (as in a great majority) agree with that drug free society though"? Most people do agree with it, by far, the vast majority.

No, I will not criminalize people who do not agree with my moral code. However I will definitely criminalize people who do not respect the law. Substance abuse causes many problems for other people. Those who are selfish and arrogant enough to smoke weed deserve to be punished - they know it's illegal, they know it causes problems for people, they know the kind of system they are contributing to. The basest requirement to live in a society is to follow their rules. People who knowingly break the law because they do not agree with it do not deserve mercy. There is due process for changing the law.

If we remove all laws we will have no criminals. How is this a good idea? It's a terrible idea.

What do you do when you encounter someone who has no moral qualms to murdering people? "Oh it's their choice I respect their freedoms"? Insane. We shouldn't have to even say things like "don't murder, don't steal, don't abuse substances", people should know that these things are wrong. It's because of moral corruption that we need laws at all - people can't act nice without threat of punishment.
Cigarettes, alcohol, and cigarettes are drugs, so I can say that a vast majority of people uses drugs on a daily basis fairly easily.
I believe you misunderstand me greatly. You need to read my posts more thoroughly, you keep misinterpreting what I say.
Never did I say that all laws are bad, I said that those laws that have no positive impact on society are bad. Respecting a law that is not efficient is counter productive, I will challenge it whenever I can.
I also clearly stated that not all actions are good. I actually stated that there are things that are evil, and society is right to punish them.

Please stop using strawman arguments, I also tell you this as a moderator.

Also, be aware that I do not speak in absolutes. I definitely do not respect a person who attempts to morally justify something I personally consider evil by default.

Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
What do you do when you encounter someone who has no moral qualms to murdering people? "Oh it's their choice I respect their freedoms"? Insane. We shouldn't have to even say things like "don't murder, don't steal, don't abuse substances", people should know that these things are wrong. It's because of moral corruption that we need laws at all - people can't act nice without threat of punishment.

How are you?
Drugs means something specific in this context. I'm not trying to ban asprin mate.

Stop making abstract and out of context comments. What are you even talking about? Your argument is extremely flawed and based on false assumptions.

I'm not using any strawman arguments. How ironic that you are labeling my arguments as strawman because you don't want to deal with hyperbole -_-;

"evil by default" what does this even mean?
When you make up something I am saying in order to counter it to win a point it's a strawman, you clearly did that.
I am not going to debate any further because you don't seem to be interested in a discussion but in winning a debate by ridiculing your conversation partners. I tried to be civil because I believe that discussions are tools to find deeper truths, not to make yourself look cool on the internet.

As for your question what evil by default even means: Instead of making up a strawman you should have asked for my definition of that first. This shows that your way of discussion is flawed, seeing as you did not even bother to understand what I am saying.

edit: Just to make sure this thread does not derail: Don't take this conversation any further. If you want to rebuttal whatever I just said send me a PM, do not post about it in this thread.
Last edited by Redundant; Mar 27, 2014 at 06:39 PM.
How are you?
People don't need to acknowledge anything.
A murderer does not need to acknowledge his actions as bad. Society does it for him.
We have a free will and we can choose to conform with some moral code or another, or none at all.

Your first 3 sentences support the legitimacy of laws punishing people who don't agree with them, but your last sentence says fuck all to moral codes, you have free will. You're playing both ends against the center until you pick an actual side.

Trying to limit that freedom with preventive laws does not work very well, in my opinion.
Society already prohibits actions that harm other people, and rightly so because else society wouldn't exist. I see no point in prohibiting methods that could cause others harm, when those methods clearly have other primary functions other than hurting other people.

Driving drunk only has a chance to harm somebody, and the primary function is to travel to from point A to point B. According to your logic, drunk driving should be legal.

People are able to argue that they were drunk when they did bad things because it is the truth. Why would you not want people to use the truth in a court?
Surely that does not mean that being drunk is an excuse to do bad things. It just means that their rationality was unable to function properly in that situation.
If being drunk cannot be used to evaluate how bad a crime is, then what can? Anger? Ice cold development of a strategy to harm someone? Not only the result of an action matters in a courtroom. How those actions came to be matters as well. It is a great difference if someone kills his wife during a fight or plans the murder for several weeks and executes it with a calm mind. Intoxication is also a factor that needs to be taken into consideration unless you think that being willfully ignorant is a good thing.

The truth or state of intoxication doesn't mean anything in this argument. Whether somebody says something truthful or not or is sober or not is irrelevant.

In fact, this entire paragraph was entirely off topic as to whether prohibition laws work or not.

We could declare that the act of advertising drugs is immoral and proceed to ban pro drug ads. I see no problem with that, seeing as ads tend to be very manipulative and that drugs are viewed upon as negative thing in general. That does not limit a person's personal freedom to choose to do those drugs, nor does it heavily affect the economy. That would be a healthy way of going about this situation.

Again using your logic, the person advertising has the right to advertise drugs because it only has a chance to harm somebody, and the primary function is to increase the sales of a product, not to harm the person.

Do you see yet why that logic is flawed? It doesn't matter what primary intent is, the ability to do something doesn't matter, what matters is what is the outcome, and what is the morality of the actions leading to the outcome.

In fact, the reasoning you give specifically in this paragraph is at best convoluted, let alone logically sound. You claim advertising is bad because it's manipulative. You claim that drugs are viewed negatively. You claim that banning advertisements of drugs do not inhibit personal liberty and do not harm the economy. Then you conclude that banning drug advertisements would be morally right. One, your premises support your conclusion poorly at best, not at all at worst. The only premise you give that supports your conclusion would also support banning advertisements in general. Which would then invalidate one of your other premises, as it would destroy an entire section of the economy. And the claim that drugs are perceived negatively doesn't even have any relevance to the conclusion.

Seriously, it's a pain to argue with you because most of your arguments do not even follow the basic structure of an argument. Every claim should support your conclusion, every claim should be supported by facts. You frequently substitute anecdotes and opinions for facts, and you frequently make claims that are irrelevant to your conclusion. And in this case it leads to an argument that's not even relevant, as you just argued on the morality of advertising rather than the morality of drug laws.

Compared to actual problems we have with drugs, that seems to be a rather minor one.
There are drug related problems that are far greater. Look at South America, for instance. Drug lords vs police.
Drugs are already banned there. The drugs that got prohibited gave those druglords the ability to gain insane amount of moneys by circumventing the laws. Those people have no interest in a change of those laws.
I dare to suggest that prohibiting things that are high in demand is the root of a lot of criminal acts all around the world. Gotta ask yourself what's worse: Legalized junkies or war on the streets. People who want to do illegal drugs can do illegal drugs already. They don't care about them being illegal. It's just insanely unsafe and many people suffer due to that.
Why not provide an environment where those people can do drugs safely in a way that does not endanger people as it does today?
Legalizing it does not mean condoning it, and you still can take measures to prevent people from taking those drugs, as long as those do not interfere with the freedom to choose.

Before they were drug lords, they were human traffickers, thugs, assassins, weapons dealers, robbers. Should we just legalize slavery, assault, murder, all firearms, robbery and drugs to take away how they sustain their criminal empires? Certainly not.

An assassin doesn't care that murder is illegal, he will do it anyways. Does that detract from the effectiveness and validity of making murder illegal? Certainly not.

And let's point out the hilarity of that last sentence.

Using specifically the logic from this sentence (actually, from most of your paragraphs lauding the "freedom to choose"), the presence of laws is irrelevant because it does not interfere with your freedom to choose. Laws do not do anything to interfere with your ability to choose anything, they impose consequences on performing certain actions. You are still free to choose to break the law. You will just be punished for it. Taking this to the extreme, using this logic we could justify imposing laws on every possible action because they do not interfere with your ability to choose anything. They influence your decision making, but so does everything else in your life. Arguing that influencing anything is morally wrong is a tall order, but if you could adequately support it then using your perspective to argue laws are morally wrong would be acceptable. It would also advocate obliterating everything in existence, but that's a hurdle you can tackle should you reach it.

We could also get a take on firearms as well, I guess, since this thread seems to be about everything now.
Banning firearms in a country where the general populace believes that the possession of guns is immoral is correct. If it is the consensus and generally agreed upon there is no problem with that.
The problem occurs once you try to ban firearms in a country where guns are an important part of the culture, and people own firearms traditionally as well as for safety reasons.
In those countries banning firearms would be immoral because people have a high demand for them, and taking away their rights to secure their own safety is not a very clever way to deal with a criminal environment. When a person feels the need to protect himself you should examine his situation closely and then form an opinion if his environment is, in fact, dangerous. Declaring right away that those firearms should be taken off the streets no matter what is a very ignorant way of dealing with the situation.
When there is a high demand for firearms there will be firearms, even if there is a ban. The only thing you are going to accomplish is that many more people will become criminal, some people will make a lot of money with being criminal, and in the end you caused more problems than you solved.
Of course that does not mean that firearms should go totally unchecked. There are certain ones that are more dangerous to your own safety than others. A grenade, for instance, has very little value in a street fight. You cannot defend yourself with it. It can only be used offensively. Therefore the access to grenades should be restricted, and I believe that most people all over the world would agree that the access to grenades should be restricted. The primary function of a grenade is causing a lot of destruction, which is a bad thing. So a ban would make sense here.
The primary function of a handgun, however, is not destruction. It's security. So saying that owning a handgun in general is a bad thing would be wrong.

And this is entirely off topic, make a new firearms thread if you want to open this Pandora's box again. I still get a laugh from people claiming that guns weren't designed to kill, so it will probably kill a few minutes of my boredom if you made one.

tl;dr: You spent a very long time stating an opinion on various on-or-off-topic subjects with either no arguments or bad arguments to support it.

tl;dr's tl;dr: Your arguments are bad.

Redundant Moderated Message:
This is a post I enjoy and can get behind. I wish there were more people putting effort into discussion like Oracle.
Last edited by Redundant; Mar 27, 2014 at 09:14 PM.
nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games
prohibition never works, some people believe that we should legalize all drugs and teach the kids the REAL effects of drugs/alcohol to make smart choices.

I'm iffy on that idea but it could be something to start a conversation.

Arglax Moderated Message:
More content please
Last edited by Arglax; Apr 6, 2014 at 03:19 PM.
In goreman's perfect world, people are machines with perfect lives. No one will ever have any life issue and fuck themselves up to forget all their shit. Everybody would have a job and work 60 hours a week to fuel the capitalist machine and questionning the purpose of their own life would be a severly punished crime.

I've nothing to say on the topic tho, sorry about that. But it's been a while I hadn't read Goreman's totalitarian garbage, I forgot how it felt to read a load of crap.

This post serves a perfect example of 'What not to post in the discussion forum'. I mean, come on man. You even /admit/ that you don't have anything reasonable to say. Don't do this anymore.
Last edited by Arglax; Apr 6, 2014 at 03:18 PM.
Originally Posted by deprav View Post
In goreman's perfect world, people are machines with perfect lives. No one will ever have any life issue and fuck themselves up to forget all their shit. Everybody would have a job and work 60 hours a week to fuel the capitalist machine and questionning the purpose of their own life would be a severly punished crime.

I've nothing to say on the topic tho, sorry about that. But it's been a while I hadn't read Goreman's totalitarian garbage, I forgot how it felt to read a load of crap.

I dunno how you got all that, I'm anti-consumerist and against wage-slaving.

In a perfect goremon world no one would want to abuse drugs because they would have other things to do and they would know better. Most people who abuse drugs simply don't know better. They think what they are doing is harmless.
+1
Last edited by Arglax; Apr 6, 2014 at 03:16 PM.