Toribash
the combined notes sometimes sounded bad, try learning tones, semitones and octaves it'll make your stuff sound a lot better if you understand the method behind them. also if you want to get into music seriously i recommend getting a MIDI keyboard or something since it would make it much easier to create melodies.
You should probably base some more of your work off j4ckpot, learn from the mistakes in others and literally take notes.

i might not know much about creating electronic music but i play real instruments;
- piano
- bass
- saxaphone

also it really annoys me when people put me in their first post, since i dont actually shit on people that look like theyre trying or aren't a dickhead
please dont do it again
Originally Posted by Augans View Post
the combined notes sometimes sounded bad, try learning tones, semitones and octaves it'll make your stuff sound a lot better if you understand the method behind them. also if you want to get into music seriously i recommend getting a MIDI keyboard or something since it would make it much easier to create melodies.
You should probably base some more of your work off j4ckpot, learn from the mistakes in others and literally take notes.

i might not know much about creating electronic music but i play real instruments;
- piano
- bass
- saxaphone

also it really annoys me when people put me in their first post, since i dont actually shit on people that look like theyre trying or aren't a dickhead
please dont do it again

thanks for the help

I was just trying to make sure you weren't just naturally rude and wouldn't bring that around one of my posts, but I'm glad that you confronted me about this.
Last edited by Marrez; Mar 7, 2014 at 01:31 AM.
beware
the goblin
speaking of notes that go together, i forgot to mention that when i first listened to the tracks the melodies were very simple, and i felt like there wasnt a lot of coherence between the bassline melody and lead melody, which i think is the most important part in a song. ofc nobody cba to take music theory classes to fully understand it, but i sorta got the basics of it just by listening to songs that presented a lead melody and bassline clearly and simple to the ears, and i was able to kinda study it and learn how both work together. the lead melody places the emotion, while the bass melody empowers it, from my experience. im on my phone right now so i cant give you any great examples, but i think some good examples would be some uk hardcore techno tracks because of how distint both the lead melody and bassline sound. check out the track scott brown - elysium plus and listen to the chorus. right before it, there is a piano riff. the bass only appears like a bar later though, and you can observ how it affected the melody by giving it more emotion. when i get on somthing thats not my phone ill make a not so half assed post
oh yeah
Originally Posted by pusga View Post
speaking of notes that go together, i forgot to mention that when i first listened to the tracks the melodies were very simple, and i felt like there wasnt a lot of coherence between the bassline melody and lead melody, which i think is the most important part in a song. ofc nobody cba to take music theory classes to fully understand it, but i sorta got the basics of it just by listening to songs that presented a lead melody and bassline clearly and simple to the ears, and i was able to kinda study it and learn how both work together. the lead melody places the emotion, while the bass melody empowers it, from my experience. im on my phone right now so i cant give you any great examples, but i think some good examples would be some uk hardcore techno tracks because of how distint both the lead melody and bassline sound. check out the track scott brown - elysium plus and listen to the chorus. right before it, there is a piano riff. the bass only appears like a bar later though, and you can observ how it affected the melody by giving it more emotion. when i get on somthing thats not my phone ill make a not so half assed post

thank you, thank you man!

I've learned all sorts of stuff today. Also, the 5th song of the album/playlist has been released, called "Poison Tears". Started on it today (but like, waaaaay early in the morning). I semi-toyed around with MIDI stuff after I learned what they were (thanks again, Augans) and I have all sorts of different VST's thanks to you guys.

The last song is going to be something special.
beware
the goblin
Originally Posted by Marrez View Post
thank you, thank you man!

I've learned all sorts of stuff today. Also, the 5th song of the album/playlist has been released, called "Poison Tears". Started on it today (but like, waaaaay early in the morning). I semi-toyed around with MIDI stuff after I learned what they were (thanks again, Augans) and I have all sorts of different VST's thanks to you guys.

The last song is going to be something special.

I noticed how you used the MIDI for the melody that time, if you need any help with music theory you can ask me. its no problem
not so half assed post time

ok so i grabbed the midi from that track i mentioned and played first the lead melody, then the lead melody + bassline and then just the bassline because i realised the youtube video makes it a bit hard to hear the bassline. playing stems and portions of tracks is really good for understanding how they were built and even learning it yourself (i often download many midi versions of famous tracks and am surprised at the notes and how they did it), and how a wrong bassline note can and will destroy a nice melody easily. also, notice how when the bassline kicks in it gives the melody a lot more power and emotion. melodies alone are ok, but basslines that complement them give them a lot more dem feels.

also, the track you uploaded is pretty nice (im a sucker for arpeggios), although it does get a bit boring a while after the main arp shows up. i will say though that i am extremely surprised that you werent using midi before the whole time lel
Last edited by pusga; Mar 7, 2014 at 05:11 PM.
oh yeah
Originally Posted by pusga View Post
not so half assed post time

ok so i grabbed the midi from that track i mentioned and played first the lead melody, then the lead melody + bassline and then just the bassline because i realised the youtube video makes it a bit hard to hear the bassline. playing stems and portions of tracks is really good for understanding how they were built and even learning it yourself (i often download many midi versions of famous tracks and am surprised at the notes and how they did it), and how a wrong bassline note can and will destroy a nice melody easily. also, notice how when the bassline kicks in it gives the melody a lot more power and emotion. melodies alone are ok, but basslines that complement them give them a lot more dem feels.

also, the track you uploaded is pretty nice (im a sucker for arpeggios), although it does get a bit boring a while after the main arp shows up. i will say though that i am extremely surprised that you werent using midi before the whole time lel

hehe...

thanks man, I'll have to figure this stuff out.
beware
the goblin
Mind Funked is now finished, thanks to the glorious work, assistance, and tutorship of Rexoa! Go and give this man a follow and a medal.

and check out the final song, our collab, here!

thank you guys for your patience and support! I'll get better, I promise
beware
the goblin
it's a pretty decent song, but that's because of rexoa ;)
I can only see improvement if you make your own song, I can't distinguish what you did and didn't do.

Discord: bicycleforrats
<[Obey]Quest> yall needa tap into my telegram on gad
Chase Sapphire Reserve® Cardholder