Toribash
Better to live then to die.

Think about it this way:

If you believe in god, there is always the chance of a miracles.

If you don't then the doctors will possibly find a way to cure the person and the person lives.
Last edited by Dexters; Jun 7, 2011 at 01:19 AM.
I believe in miracles, however I don't believe in god. Miracles happen all the time. Just not in the way you'd expect. If the miracle do happen, good for you. If it doesn't, then too bad. Death will just come at an earlier date than expected. That is how this man worked. In my eyes Dr.Death was a hero. He were capable of taking lives in order to make them escape the pain. If you'd live in pain you'd be like: ''Oh my god this hurts, someone please kill me!''. If there are no other options I'd rather die.
Toribash TakeOVER
<Colossus> ROFL
<Colossus> my friend got hit by a car
<Colossus> gonna go visit him. brb

[22:45:46] <Thorn> I know she likes it in the ear
[22:45:53] <Thorn> because when I put it to her mouth she turns away
[sigpic]http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac268/IAMUBERTHANU/552502_413931871977453_2050418562_njpg.gif[/sigpic]
Originally Posted by Vodka View Post
Would you rather see a family member or a close friend live in pain knowing you can't help him? I'd rather have them dead than let them live in pain.

Easier said than done. Most people in this situation would probably want the doctors to do everything possible, even if they "know" in an intellectual sense that there may be .001% chance of recovery. People often report being 100% confident that they will be the 1 in 1000 that recovers. Futility is much more difficult to assess from within these situations than from the outside.

Also, doctors are upholding the thousands of years old hippocratic oath, which counsels them to do no harm. Of course, "harm" can be defined differently depending on the person, but many doctors - even those who have no problem with assisted suicide - will not participate because of this.
Originally Posted by AikidoKP View Post
True, but as mentioned before, being terminally ill isn't. Changing variables doesn't help the discussion.
Sure, a perfectly healthy person who stubbed their toe is fine. Someone who's coughing up blood with two weeks to live isn't. Is it ok to kill one but not the other? I'd say that pretty much sums up what's being asked.

Originally Posted by Rutten View Post
But seriously bru, I don't think anyone would have a problem (morally) with letting a terminally ill dude that's in heaps o' pain choose to end his life. Objections?

So the only issue that remains is whether that ill guy can give the doctor guy permission to kill him. Thoughts?

Like I said, each case needs to be judged individually, would you let a guy with 15 days left to live kill himself? Seems a bit arbitrary.
My cat tore up a baby mouse; it's eye's were scratched out.

I killed the mouse.

Does that make me a bad person?
the inner machinations of my mind are an enigma
Originally Posted by Logic View Post
Easier said than done. Most people in this situation would probably want the doctors to do everything possible, even if they "know" in an intellectual sense that there may be .001% chance of recovery. People often report being 100% confident that they will be the 1 in 1000 that recovers. Futility is much more difficult to assess from within these situations than from the outside.

Not really. I've had to make this choice before, and while it took a bit longer than choosing between a cheeseburger or lasagna, it didn't take long to decide, quite a simple decision, for me at least. It was either let the person suffer, or allow the doctor to "put them to sleep", killing them earlier to stop the pain.

Originally Posted by Gorman View Post
Like I said, each case needs to be judged individually, would you let a guy with 15 days left to live kill himself? Seems a bit arbitrary.

Yes. Any one who has been diagnosed with a terminal condition and is in enough pain to hold them in bed or in one place should have the option of assisted suicide. Whether it's 2 days or 2 years, as long as the conditions are met it should be an option.
-- Jet -- Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. --
[Secret]AikidoKP

Cogito ergo sum. I think therefor I exist.

I know it's true because it says so right here in this signature.
That option however should be completly up to the individual.
Toribash TakeOVER
<Colossus> ROFL
<Colossus> my friend got hit by a car
<Colossus> gonna go visit him. brb

[22:45:46] <Thorn> I know she likes it in the ear
[22:45:53] <Thorn> because when I put it to her mouth she turns away
[sigpic]http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac268/IAMUBERTHANU/552502_413931871977453_2050418562_njpg.gif[/sigpic]
Originally Posted by Gorman View Post
would you let a guy with 15 days left to live kill himself?

Would you stop him? Or would you let him do what he wants?