Endurance Onslaught 6.0
Originally Posted by 2worlds View Post
So I was thinking, people refuse to teach evolution/religious methods of creation of mankind; however, in my science class we were being taught that the big bang created the universe.

So now, if we're allowed to be taught that the big bang created the universe, why wouldn't we be allowed to learn about evolution?

And of course, children could opt out of hte class if it's really THAT offending.

So, should evolution be taught: yes/no?

Isn't it better to ask if students shouldn't be thought religion instead?
Now doing recoloring for people not in the clan as-well, PM for more info!
PROUD OWNER OF THORN'S GOOD ENOUGH WRITER AWARD!
Originally Posted by CMon View Post
It's all about teaching theories, not hard facts. The THEORY of evolution, the THEORY of The Big Bang. Whether to believe in them or not should be the students' own choice, but as long as it isn't presented as confirmed factualities, I see no room for anyone to complain about their kids being taught it.

You're mistaken. Unlike in colloquial usage, the word "theory" in scientific lingo refers to a well-substantiated account of a phenomena.

Evolution is a well-established scientific fact. Theories of evolution are scientific accounts that pertain to it. There is also Germ Theory of Disease. Does that mean the existence of germs or infectious diseases is uncertain? Hardly.
Originally Posted by Odlov View Post
You're mistaken. Unlike in colloquial usage, the word "theory" in scientific lingo refers to a well-substantiated account of a phenomena.

Evolution is a well-established scientific fact. Theories of evolution are scientific accounts that pertain to it. There is also Germ Theory of Disease. Does that mean the existence of germs or infectious diseases is uncertain? Hardly.

Ook.. Then how about the Theory of Our Evolution?
Scientists believe we came from monkeys for our similarities; I do to.
But were not completely certain yet. It remains a theory until completely proven.

boricua

Originally Posted by Tekro View Post
Ook.. Then how about the Theory of Our Evolution?
Scientists believe we came from monkeys for our similarities; I do to.
But were not completely certain yet. It remains a theory until completely proven.

Let me refer you to;
Originally Posted by Gorman View Post
Actually, a scientific theory is fact.

Gravity, disease and evolution are all considered fact.

Wiki even has an article to sort out the confusion.

TL;DR: 'Theory' in science means something different than it does in common speech.

^ Paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould wrote - "Evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts do not go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's, but apples did not suspend themselves in mid-air, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape-like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

You are not mixing Scientific Theory and Scientific Law are you?

boricua

Theories are made using facts such as the evidence that has been found that proves evolution.

EDIT: Sorry to derail the thread even further than it already was. In response to the question, yes, students should be taught evolution. Because it happened.
[19:39] <Birdflu> I'm just sad that I can't give myself one
[19:39] <Birdflu> I'd have a great time
isnt it all about history?

Everything has to be taught in order for them ( students ) to understand what we were and what we are. Yes god didn't create man but it was once belived in it. Yes man came from apes, but you only know that now. To understand where we came from, we should understand what we are too.

And why is people against religion so much, its part of our culture.
Last edited by AkumaBeast; Jun 7, 2011 at 05:40 PM.
It's Mr.AkumaBeast for you! oh and...
Check my inventory if you wish to buy flames.
Religion has no meaning but to make some people believe in a strong being that can lead them.

Yes they should teach it.
Nuehehehhehehehehehehehehehehe
If I were a cherry, I'd be a good cherry.
I think the same as Gorman. In religious class theyshould teach the stuff where God creates ppl. And in the science class the evolutions.But the best would be that in schools you should be able to choose. Science, religion or both.
I honestly can't come up with a clever signature.
What's confusing people regarding the word "theory" is that, in common speech, it's the equivalent of a scientific hypothesis. That's an educated guess on what might have happened. Once a hypothesis has been proven unable to be falsified, it might become a theory, which is generally accepted as fact, UP UNTIL it's disproven. Natural laws are a step up from this, which are the few things that are absolutely and positively proven to be right under all circumstances.

Anyways, i digress. Yes, i think evolution should be taught, and although i'm a stone cold atheist who finds everything supernatural to be bollocks, i don't think religion class should be abolished either. I was taught both religion and evolution in school, though i'm sticking with science and evolution. What people choose to believe is (or should be) their own business, as long as they have a choice.

HOWEVER, i'm pretty sure that religion and evolution aren't mutually exclusive. There are several religious people in my class, and this school doesn't teach religion at all. We even had a dedicated run of evolution in biology class. The only times where you actually notice this is when controversial topics get discussed (or when they decline alcohol on the base of religion, but that ain't education). If they do disagree with what's been taught, they're hiding it damned well.
<Blam|Homework> oiubt veubg
various places to find me lol