Alternative(lol)

Modest Mouse - The Moon & Antarctica
of Montreal - The Sunlandic Twins
Muse - Origin of Symmetry
Queens of the Stone Age - Era Vulgaris
Radiohead - Kid A

+1
Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain

Last edited by m0o; Jan 26, 2010 at 04:33 AM.
i have a totally post modern tattoo of a scalene triangle.
<DeadorK> fair maiden
<DeadorK> if the cum is going to be in your mouth
<DeadorK> it shall be in mine as well
Stoner Rock, which is actually a misnomer for one of the bands. (I'll explain in a bit)

1. Kyuss-Welcome to Sky Valley- Pretty accessible album, shows a lot of range for the band, from the opening song, Gardenia, which is a hard hitting song.

To Space Cadet, which is quiet, almost without any singing at all.

2. Queens of the Stone Age-Rated R- Josh Homme actually dislikes the name "stoner rock", but whatever. Rated R is one of their greatest albums, it is also my favorite.

3. Kyuss-Blues for the Red Sun- Earlier work by Kyuss, not as good as Welcome to Sky Valley imho, still excellent though.

4. The Desert Sessions- Volumes 9 & 10 - Sort of what stoner rock is all about, a group of people converge upon Josh Homme's studio in the desert and improvise. Some of the songs show up on Queens of the Stone Age albums, such as this one.

5. Unida-Coping With the Urban Coyote- Frontman for Kyuss went off and made his own group, Unida is, in some cases more laid back than Kyuss. A greater emphasis is put on vocals than Kyuss.

@Extreme: you've desecrated the folk genre with hipster crap, trying listening to Neutral Milk Hotel, Curtains by John Frusciante, or A Weather.
Last edited by sprooj; Jan 26, 2010 at 04:45 AM.
<Tapion> Salmon is nice fish
Only 1 of the bands dislikes the term stoner rock? Because Homme was in kyuss and desert sessions too.
<DeadorK> fair maiden
First, desert sessions isn't a band, the lineup changes every time. Second, Homme only said he disliked the term when he was in QotSA, Kyuss was long gone.
<Tapion> Salmon is nice fish
Originally Posted by sprooj View Post
@Extreme: you've desecrated the folk genre with hipster crap, trying listening to Neutral Milk Hotel, Curtains by John Frusciante, or A Weather.

Cool story bro.

Note it's Indie/Folk Rock.

With emphasis on the INDIE.

Which is a genre that by its' very definition is hipster music. Get over it, you can still do straight-up folk.

E: Also, nice alternative setup, War. Needs moar The Bends, though.
Last edited by Xtreme; Jan 27, 2010 at 12:00 AM.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Proud Member Of [Evil]
Love Lempika For Making My Avatar and Signature
[21:27] <+siku> huge penis in War's mouth
[21:27] <+siku> are you still confused?
[21:27] <+siku> penis gently sliding deeper in war's mouth
[21:27] <+siku> are you still confused
[21:27] <Xtreme> not anymore :D
Originally Posted by Xtreme View Post
Needs moar The Bends, though.

♫ HIPSTERS ARE DOING IT FOR THEMSELVES ♫
Originally Posted by m0o View Post
♫ HIPSTERS ARE DOING IT FOR THEMSELVES ♫

Not sure what that's supposed to mean.

Also, I'm not a hipster.

Hipsters look like this;

and listen to shit like;

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Proud Member Of [Evil]
Love Lempika For Making My Avatar and Signature
[21:27] <+siku> huge penis in War's mouth
[21:27] <+siku> are you still confused?
[21:27] <+siku> penis gently sliding deeper in war's mouth
[21:27] <+siku> are you still confused
[21:27] <Xtreme> not anymore :D
Bro, my 5+1 is a joke. I picked totally random stuff. Way to fail :v
<DeadorK> fair maiden
Electric Blues / Blues Rock

oh fuck yeah. The two genres are intertwined tighter than a twelve year old, and much like the 12 year old, they fucking rock.

Texas Flood -Stevie Ray Vaughan - Pretty much the staple album for this kind of music. Stevie takes classic blues music and turns up the "oh fuck wow" element until your ears bleed. The album is full of a mix of high energy powerful jams like 'pride and joy', to extended guitar showmanship in 'texas flood', to finish on the delicate and intricate 'lenny'.

Are You Experienced -Jimi Hendrix Experience- Okay, this album would be better described as 'electric church music' than straight up blues, but the roots of hendrix's music are clear on this record. There are one or two straight up bluesey tunes like "Red House", and a lot of songs that bridge the barriers into early rock music like "Hey Joe", "Fire", and of course "Purple Haze".

Led Zeppelin 1 - Led Zeppelin (hurrrr)- Now this one's straight blues rock - the first zeppelin album represents the point (along with a couple of other similar creations) where rock and roll really took off. Zeppelin pretty much invented hard rock, working from a blues inspired background, and elemnts of both are on the album. The whole thing is a masterpiece, but especially recommended are "Good times bad times", "you shook me", and "how many more times". There's also some incredible folk guitar work on that album.

Any BB King compilation album - Why a compilation? Because BB King didn't really write albums - he wrote songs. It makes more sense to just listen to a 'best of'. Highly recommended listening: "The thrill is gone", "How blue can you get". His music isn't nearly as energetic or in your face as the above, but when you want to kick back and relax with a smile on your face, shit is so cash.

Deguello - ZZ Top - A solid blues/southern rock album. Simple as. Recommended: "Automobile", and "A fool for your stockings"

The +1 has gotta be the SRV live album from Montreaux. The best part of this genre is how flexible the music is. All of the music above albums is played completely different every time it's played live, and the SRV performance at Montreax is A++ would listen again.