Endurance Onslaught 6.0
Change the rules?
Are you crazy?
They are holy!

One must go on a very long quest and go through several ceremonies, the holy hoops, in order to click the mighty edit button.

I personally never read any forum rules besides the ones I had to in order to do my marketsquad thing. You can pretty much replace them all with common sense. I dunno why it is not done. Rules that can be applied generally should not exist, and those that do apply generally are pretty much forum etiquette.
Teach people forum etiquette and quit making arbitrary rules like this “no what if threads” rule I just looked up in the rules thread and things will be more fun for everyone.
People learn far more from seeing what moderators do. If you seriously want people to quit doing certain things use them fancy mod messages and the private message system if you are a local mod.
Last edited by Redundant; Jan 30, 2014 at 12:50 AM.
How are you?
Originally Posted by FinalWish View Post
I support this on general principle but im not clear on what you are taking issue with exactly. Over emphasizing the rules was meant to make it clear that off topic isnt wibbles, which it definitely isnt. So id say that they work fairly well as is. Saying that, the arbitrary nature of common sense and the mods choice of interpretation of the rules plays a big part in the determination of what can be called discussable material (I.E not shit posts) So is that your beef? Do you want a clearly defined line on what can be discussed as per lettering of the rules or what?

My problem is that a lot of the rules arbitrarily disallow certain topics for no good reason.

What's wrong with less than serious threads? What's wrong with surveys? What's wrong with games?

There's nothing wrong with them.

In this thread people love to say that you can post whatever you want in TP or VIP, but those are moderated boards, and my main was banned because I was posting there. When you get banned the staff remove your TP (though strangely not your VIP which will keep renewing automatically), as if I'm going to pay that much on all my alts and mains when a staff randomly decides to joke ban me.

Originally Posted by SkulFuk View Post
*points at the Prime & VIP boards*
Shitpost central is that way, paid-wibbles if you want to put it that way.

Offtopic has rules to stop it turning into a shithole, if people want to make crappy threads & posts then they pay for the privilege and do it in the designated place.

I can translate the rules into what was being thought when they were added:

To be fair we're no where near as harsh here as we should be, unless it involves people making utter crap in the board. Crap belongs in the pay-to-turd boards. Give hampa all your monies.

What is 'shit' is subjective.

Why are all surveys automatically shit? It's ridiculous to even think that.

What pisses me off more than bad rules is "oh we don't enforce that rule" or "oh there's some extra rules that we didn't write down". Just fix the rules seriously wtf is wrong with some people it takes 2 minutes.

Why do you think having 3 rules that say the same thing + arbitrarily disallow certain types of threads is a good thing? Why is putting global rules in EVERY local rules a good thing? Do the rest of the global rules not apply or something? Why can't chit-chat go here? Why are threads that don't have discussion content bad? Even if a thread generates good content why should it be closed just because it has a question? Honestly the rules make little sense and show little thought behind them.

Off-Topic is not a very good subforum, and it's basically just because the rules are really shit. I also love that 3 of the stickies are against the rules, so smooth.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
What's wrong with less than serious threads? What's wrong with surveys? What's wrong with games?

There's nothing wrong with them.

Correct, but Off-Topic is not the place for them.

Why are all surveys automatically shit? It's ridiculous to even think that.

What pisses me off more than bad rules is "oh we don't enforce that rule" or "oh there's some extra rules that we didn't write down". Just fix the rules seriously wtf is wrong with some people it takes 2 minutes.

Believe it or not, some of the administrators get upset if a local mod happens to close a thread without posting a reason and the rule that it violates.

Why can't chit-chat go here?

Off-Topic is not the place for chat. That's what IRC was literally made for.

Why are threads that don't have discussion content bad?

They simply do not have a place in Off-Topic. You seem to have completely misunderstood to point of the board. Off-Topic wasn't made for anything that didn't fit anywhere else, it has a specific "theme" just like any other board; it's for lighthearted discussions about general topics.

Even if a thread generates good content why should it be closed just because it has a question?

If a thread that should be in a different board is closed rather than moved, then that's poor moderation practice. It's probably something that some moderators should know about, but it's not really my place to tell them how to do their job. I'm no higher than they are.
[23:23:53] <AndChat|700625> Blue eyes ultimate dragon best card
[23:24:29] <AndChat|700625> You know the one with 3 heads
[23:24:39] <~Lightningkid> just like my dick

[11:35:40] <box> Hampa suck
[11:36:21] <hampa> not the first to tell me that today
Originally Posted by box View Post

So basically "give us money".

Believe it or not, some of the administrators get upset if a local mod happens to close a thread without posting a reason and the rule that it violates.

Obviously, but that's unrelated to what I said.

Off-Topic is not the place for chat. That's what IRC was literally made for.

You are saying one thing but you are enforcing something else.

They simply do not have a place in Off-Topic. You seem to have completely misunderstood to point of the board. Off-Topic wasn't made for anything that didn't fit anywhere else, it has a specific "theme" just like any other board; it's for lighthearted discussions about general topics.

That is literally what it was made for. After the deletion of wibbles we had a lot of threads that didn't quite fit in, Off-Topic was created to consolidate these threads. That's the exact job of Off-Topic, and if you look at the threads here and the way it is moderated that is what everyone else thinks too.

If a thread that should be in a different board is closed rather than moved, then that's poor moderation practice. It's probably something that some moderators should know about, but it's not really my place to tell them how to do their job. I'm no higher than they are.

If they aren't doing their job properly, it doesn't matter who tells them.

"There's a problem but it's not my place to fix it". No box just fix problem please.
So basically "give us money".

Sure, you could put it that way. There has to be some incentive to buy TP/VIP.

Obviously, but that's unrelated to what I said.

I was referring to the bit about unwritten rules. That wouldn't fly by the administrators.

You are saying one thing but you are enforcing something else.

Clarify?

That is literally what it was made for. After the deletion of wibbles we had a lot of threads that didn't quite fit in, Off-Topic was created to consolidate these threads. That's the exact job of Off-Topic, and if you look at the threads here and the way it is moderated that is what everyone else thinks too.

Partially correct, but not all threads from Wibbles will fit. Only a very select few.

If they aren't doing their job properly, it doesn't matter who tells them.

"There's a problem but it's not my place to fix it". No box just fix problem please.

Anyone could tell them to do something, but it doesn't mean they'll listen. Even you have as good a chance as I do of changing their mind. You'd be surprised how often local moderators are offended or stubborn when offered moderation advice.
[23:23:53] <AndChat|700625> Blue eyes ultimate dragon best card
[23:24:29] <AndChat|700625> You know the one with 3 heads
[23:24:39] <~Lightningkid> just like my dick

[11:35:40] <box> Hampa suck
[11:36:21] <hampa> not the first to tell me that today
Dude, I feel you. Toribash rules are already EXTREMELY strict.

~Supported 1000000000% Change da rules man! >:0
Last edited by Link; Jan 31, 2014 at 05:24 PM.
Chickster: I literally don't know why I did it.
I was referring to the bit about unwritten rules. That wouldn't fly by the administrators.

It does though.

Clarify?

What people refer to as chitchat on the forum is not the same as what IRC is used for. You are saying "use IRC" but you are ruling out something that can't take place on IRC.

Partially correct, but not all threads from Wibbles will fit. Only a very select few.

Every thread that has been posted in Off-Topic would otherwise have been posted in Wibbles.

Of course wibbles had many overlords, so if we are talking about hamsterian wibbles then yes there was a lot more content there that would be lost, but compared to rittsuian wibbles there's not as much.

Remember ownership of wibbles changed every few months and there was a lot of rules added or removed or changed. Spam was never allowed in wibbles though.

Anyone could tell them to do something, but it doesn't mean they'll listen. Even you have as good a chance as I do of changing their mind. You'd be surprised how often local moderators are offended or stubborn when offered moderation advice.

Ok but you said "it's not my place" not "they won't listen". I wouldn't hesitate to tell Thorn off if he was power amusing...