Toribash
a lot of people talking about the low effort are not considering that often when resources do not go to creative means they go towards production quality and engineering (i am not a fan of high quality engineering though because of my own reasons). regardless of whether you enjoy the quality or not, there is effort put into it; it is definitely not anyone with a computer in their room that does it. it becomes a problem to me when the song itself is harmed or neglected in order to achieve high production standards, which is a trend at times. and yes i believe this happens outside of pop music too
oh yeah
Originally Posted by KrispKrack View Post
Lazors, Music has changed in a very big way.
That's not to say that's a bad thing. A lot of people say "Electronic music is bad" or "I was born in the wrong generation". Good music is out there, you just have to find it. "Mainstream" music wasn't always awful, soulless, and felt like it came fresh off a conveyor belt in some factory. Now that that is often the case, you have to search to find originality. Groups like Gorillaz, Twenty one pilots, Daft punk, and Flying Lotus are all good examples of very high quality groups that blend with/are from the electronic genre in this generation, all of which are very unique and have very different sounds. I disagree with the statement that there's less effort and less talent in music today. I do agree that the music with little effort and little talent makes up a huge mass of the music being put out there and thrust in our faces. We just have to dig deeper.

First of all, I didn't say electronic music is bad. I'm saying that interesting synths are hard to program. Artists like Apex Twin make their own synths, but what about pop and rap artists with a huge team of songwriters and producers? If these people are more interested in their salary, what happens to the creativity of the music?

Second, I was mostly comparing mainstream music of the past to mainstream music of today. Back then, musical entertainment was opera, improvised chamber music, and waltzes (see Jh Strauss). When electronic music didn't exist, people relied on virtuosity, something that music today lacks completely. Even if the music back then was even more limited than today in terms of harmony, it was still well composed.

Today, the only way you can make money off classical music is to sit in an orchestra. Becoming a soloist is about as likely as becoming a football star, and composition is at best something you get money for once and it's never played again. Who makes money off music then? Spotify, Apple and the pirate bay, In other words the distributors.
There's also jazz, but nobody pays for jazz music anymore.
Last edited by Lazors; Jul 29, 2015 at 02:09 PM.
Brendan (he who passeth judgement on the frequent changing of signatures): I don't do hentai anymore
Originally Posted by Lazors View Post
First of all, I didn't say electronic music is bad. I'm saying that interesting synths are hard to program. Artists like Apex Twin make their own synths, but what about pop and rap artists with a huge team of songwriters and producers? If these people are more interested in their salary, what happens to the creativity of the music?

Second, I was mostly comparing mainstream music of the past to mainstream music of today. Back then, musical entertainment was opera, improvised chamber music, and waltzes (see Jh Strauss). When electronic music didn't exist, people relied on virtuosity, something that music today lacks completely. Even if the music back then was even more limited than today in terms of harmony, it was still well composed.

Today, the only way you can make money off classical music is to sit in an orchestra. Becoming a soloist is about as likely as becoming a football star, and composition is at best something you get money for once and it's never played again. Who makes money off music then? Spotify, Apple and the pirate bay, In other words the distributors.
There's also jazz, but nobody pays for jazz music anymore.

I feel like you are saying things you dont have knowledge know off. Nobody pays for jazz music? Jazz music is extremely popular live, and is one of the genres of music that people actually pay for.

"Today, the only way you can make money off classical music is to sit in an orchestra. "

It has always been like that, but these days composing for films, tv, games, brings new possibilities for classical composers.

"Second, I was mostly comparing mainstream music of the past to mainstream music of today. Back then, musical entertainment was opera, improvised chamber music, and waltzes (see Jh Strauss)."

There was no such thing as mainstream music pre 1900s. If you think the common people went to see operas back then you are very wrong.

"When electronic music didn't exist, people relied on virtuosity, something that music today lacks completely"

There is no virtuosity toady? There is much virtuosity in todays muisc, great guitarists, producers who have amazing innovation, talented singers and concert pianists as well if thats your prefrence.

"Artists like Apex Twin make their own synths, but what about pop and rap artists with a huge team of songwriters and producers? If these people are more interested in their salary, what happens to the creativity of the music?"

If you compare commercial producers to art focused ones of course there is a difference, Apex Twin isnt a commercial producer (or atleast wasnt) where as
jay-z is. There is more innovation than ever before because millions of people can make music in their own bedrooms these days.
Last edited by cowmeat; Jul 30, 2015 at 03:16 PM.
Music dont die! thats's a point. There all still many band or person who still play that "old genre" music. And you cant just say dubstep is stupid or other new electro music is bad. The EDM is just a new genre that pop up in nowaday culture. if you dont like it leave it.
You only live once.
When it comes to electronic music there's a lot of ups and downs. One major problem with a lot of artists is that they use the same samples over and over again *cough cough Vengeance samples* and when it comes to modern recording it can be even worse. Time aligned drums with garbage replacements, sloppy vocals which are auto-tuned and such. The one thing I'll give old genres is that you had to nail the part if you were to be famous.

Also, I'd argue with anyone who says that producing isn't as "hard" as playing an instrument. It can takes years before you can truly be good at producing. Learning how to mix and master a track properly isn't really the easiest thing. Not to say that learning how to use a DAW is harder than an instrument I'm just making the statement it can be just as difficult and as expensive or rather more expensive.
I feel like this is kind of unfair.
They're so many old songs with so many differences. There's classical music, reggae, rock , and whole bunch of others that aren't booming like pop, rap, and electronic music. It's so easy to find a song that was catchy and you liked when you were a child and support while so hard to pick a favorite rap song or a favorite pop song because it so hard to get out of those songs that you liked as a kid.
Personally, I like to listen to electronic music. There are so many sounds and effects that really separate it from other genres and unlike the old times where you need instruments that really restrict the range of sounds you hear, electronic music can go anywhere from fasted pace inspiration songs to atmosphereic songs to even slow, sad songs. You just don't find that in the old times. But, don't get me wrong. They're some great old songs.
"Who wouldn't pass up gay sex with Bercat?"
"Day is probably masturbating to Osu"- Hydra 2k15
Originally Posted by qukslice View Post
electronic music can go anywhere from fasted pace inspiration songs to atmosphereic songs to even slow, sad songs. You just don't find that in the old times. But, don't get me wrong. They're some great old songs.

Ever heard of death metal or thrash? They're both fast paced. Some classical songs can be more atmospheric than modern EDM. Blues music is sad and there's so many ranges of emotions in old music, modern music is just another reiteration of it.
Originally Posted by Goat View Post
Ever heard of death metal or thrash? They're both fast paced. Some classical songs can be more atmospheric than modern EDM. Blues music is sad and there's so many ranges of emotions in old music, modern music is just another reiteration of it.

I think what he means is the restriction on sound itself caused by the reliance on instruments. In EDM, anything is possible.

Now, I can't say I understand exactly what the end goal of this discussion is, because it goes without saying that no genre is objectively superior to another. The only thing I can think of that might put one kind of music above another is the freedom of EDM, which I mentioned just above.

I'd also like to clear something up. When most of you hear "Electronic Music" you probably think about dubstep or trap, which seem to be the most mainstream genres under the very wide EDM umbrella. I personally listen to (Formatted: Genre(Specific Subgenres)) House(Progressive/Chill), Dubstep(Melodic, Chill), Chillout, a little bit of Classical(Late Baroque, Classical Eras, classical guitar pieces in general), and some rock, although that mostly consists of Red. As you can see, that's quite a wide diversity of music, and as such I should hope to be able to claim a little bit of credibility when I say EDM can be comparable to many other genres, like Classical, in many ways. Some examples of these EDM genres that I mentioned previously can be seen in: Crywolf, EDEN (The Eden Project), XYLØ, Oh Wonder, James Young, just to name a few. I'm simply listing some artists in an attempt to educate people before they continue talking about things of which they have little to no knowledge, and I highly encourage you to take a look at some songs of those artists. I'd link a handful of songs in a spoiler, but I'm fairly certain I'm not supposed to be doing that. (If I'm mistaken, please feel free to ask and I'll edit into my post and add a spoiler).

tl;dr: No genre is truly superior to another, but genres under the EDM umbrella harbour a freedom that no other genres have.
Originally Posted by pouffywall View Post
I think what he means is the restriction on sound itself caused by the reliance on instruments. In EDM, anything is possible.

Now, I can't say I understand exactly what the end goal of this discussion is, because it goes without saying that no genre is objectively superior to another. The only thing I can think of that might put one kind of music above another is the freedom of EDM, which I mentioned just above.

I'd also like to clear something up. When most of you hear "Electronic Music" you probably think about dubstep or trap, which seem to be the most mainstream genres under the very wide EDM umbrella. I personally listen to (Formatted: Genre(Specific Subgenres)) House(Progressive/Chill), Dubstep(Melodic, Chill), Chillout, a little bit of Classical(Late Baroque, Classical Eras, classical guitar pieces in general), and some rock, although that mostly consists of Red. As you can see, that's quite a wide diversity of music, and as such I should hope to be able to claim a little bit of credibility when I say EDM can be comparable to many other genres, like Classical, in many ways. Some examples of these EDM genres that I mentioned previously can be seen in: Crywolf, EDEN (The Eden Project), XYLØ, Oh Wonder, James Young, just to name a few. I'm simply listing some artists in an attempt to educate people before they continue talking about things of which they have little to no knowledge, and I highly encourage you to take a look at some songs of those artists. I'd link a handful of songs in a spoiler, but I'm fairly certain I'm not supposed to be doing that. (If I'm mistaken, please feel free to ask and I'll edit into my post and add a spoiler).

tl;dr: No genre is truly superior to another, but genres under the EDM umbrella harbour a freedom that no other genres have.

like lazors said, oscillators always use the same algorithms, so if you want endless freedom with synthesizers your efforts have to be much greater than the ones for acoustic instruments. plus, i think you underestimate the capability and amount of different instruments that exist.
oh yeah
When you're younger and growing up, you're more exposed to modern music or music of that time, what ever's trending and such.. thus you end up liking it..
however, when you grow up a little more and learn about other music and experience it,
you find out that music now is crap.. oldies is where it's at.
The past makes you wanna die out of regret, and future makes you depressed out of anxiety. So by elimination, the present is likely the happiest time.