Ranking
I'm pretty sure you can rek him in rkmma so it's all good haha
| Team Aikido | Team Philippines | Pure | Fluffyjack | Pain | Poko |
So many presents...
Snake thank you so much for adding my tutorial to the team aikido knowledge base it looks awesome up there! Now i wanted to bring up a discussion on something you guys may have talked about in the past.

I understand leg grabs are forbidden in real life judo tournaments which is why team aikido frowns upon them along with low torso grabs. but the argument i always make when someone is complaining about leg grabs in aikido is that this is very much a grappling based mod. And in the real world the most effective grapplers and takedown artists are the wrestlers. And sure enough their #1 go-to technique is to go for the legs. if you say its cheap because its difficult to counter wouldnt that just mean its a strong technique? in my experience you need timing, precise grabs, and a strong follow through technique to execute an effective leg grab dq. In comparison shoveling IS a cheap technique because it is very easy to execute (any white belt can do it), you have a very small chance to counter, and once youre off the ground youre pretty much fucked. So im wondering if TA is more focused on making techniques from judo and aikido that "look cool" or is the real purpose to develop real techniques that are effective in damaging and defeating your opponent with precision and leverage from real world styles of fighting. I'm open to any arguments for and against leg grabs and low grabs, hopefully this will spark some heated discussion.
Leader of the Spyder House
Toribash Martial Artists
the whole thing is irl you can break the grabs to get free, while in toribash we still don't have such ability,

+flexibility, due the fact that toribash grabs are solid line connectors it's too static and cause alot of deformations.

i mean i would not be against any kind of grab as soon as we will have ball axis grabs + grab break threshold, so there would not be any nead in special mods
tell me about aikido
~referencing Dark Souls in suicidal threads since 13/01/15
youre right that would be neat to have a grip threshold at least. so youre saying it would depend on whether or not the grab results in a clean replay? like these maybe?
Attached Files
wrestling - ankle pick 3.rpl (27.6 KB, 9 views)
wrestling - double 1.rpl (38.2 KB, 8 views)
wrestling - single power 1.rpl (65.8 KB, 6 views)
Toribash Martial Artists
yeah, partly that and partly because it require more skill to takedown opponent when you are grabbing hand to hand.

with current grabs the one who got the legs first usually win, unless opponent go for a turnover. ball axis + breakable grabs wil solve everything at once
tell me about aikido
We must not forget the dm's that are POSSIBLE in aikido and must be considered as a skill, at least when we understand the mechanics of the whole thing and start to apply it consciously.

I'm saying that leg grabs can be countered by wrist dm's through a quickly movement of the leg, predicting the grab or through a tight twist of the body, forcing the wrists.

It'll not be always possible, I know, but it's a skill that we should try to understand better while we don't have the "grip threshold".

Also: Do you never thought that a grip threshold could make moves more unstable? Like, in the middle of some move: a grip releases and we lose the balance and the match?

Or: trying to push or pull somebody suddenly and with lots of momentum or force, the grip releases and we just goes of the dojo? e.e

This is a possibility.
Last edited by iver; Nov 4, 2014 at 05:30 PM.
Originally Posted by iver View Post
We must not forget the dm's that are POSSIBLE in aikido and must be considered as a skill, at least when we understand the mechanics of the whole thing and start to apply it consciously.

I'm saying that leg grabs can be countered by wrist dm's through a quickly movement of the leg, predicting the grab or through a tight twist of the body, forcing the wrists.

It'll not be always possible, I know, but it's a skill that we should try to understand better while we don't have the "grip threshold".

Also: Do you never thought that a grip threshold could make moves more unstable? Like, in the middle of some move: a grip releases and we lose the balance and the match?

Or: trying to push or pull somebody suddenly and with lots of momentum or force, the grip releases and we just goes of the dojo? e.e

This is a possibility.

yep, but it's not as horrible as being superglued in hugs of a scrub forever
tell me about aikido
Leg Grab Counters
Judo is very difficult to implement in aikido and can be very effective when you know how to use it.

Wrestling is less difficult to learn and implement but still requires skill and in my opinion is much more effective.

And if leg grabs are more widely used then we can discover and develop counters to use against them. Like you said snake, the turnover is the most effective counter for leg grabs.

Stretching and putting strain on the wrists can easily cause a dm or frac but i try to prevent this by relaxing both wrists.

Also countering a leg grab with another leg grab will neutralize your opponents advantage.

If you can lower your hips to ground level with a stong base then its very difficult for your opponent to move you with a leg grab. From here you can work on a turnover or something else.

Lastly I found that when someone goes for a leg grab they are leaving that side of their head wide open. i know this isnt really the TA style but if you can survive the leg attack you can easily score major damage points on the head or a decap. I know in my style of "shooting" for leg takedowns i eat a knee or foot almost everytime. So if you can survive a leg grab through the match you will mostly likely win by points.

This is what i found works best against leg attacks.
Toribash Martial Artists
You could also try to use the leg grab as an advantage... I mean, you can still move your legs and remember that you are BOTH superglued, look this replay:
Attached Files
#C_vs_Choolkanes.rpl (41.2 KB, 6 views)
Last edited by iver; Nov 4, 2014 at 11:15 PM.