matchmaking brainstorming
okay here goes matchmaking system i came up with just because why the fuck not

matchmaking table, which is used to find apropriate matches

id | playerStatus | nick | ELO_player | time
1 | LookingFor | rapist | 1605 | 13:58
2 | LookingFor | child | 1600 | 14:00
3 | Ranking | scrub | 1650 | 13:58
4 | Finished | noob | 1500 | 14:00

"there could just be an option to matchmake and an option to go to server browser. This way, the tourneys can still exist and be ranked. All matchmaking will be executed in official competitive mods that can be chosen as a filter."(c) Bercat

how? by adding new column with mod player selected and adding one more filter for mod selected

anyway table explanation:

playerStatus is a value that dictates the state of player, if he is looking for match or not
can be 3 values:
LookingFor - means player is looking for match
Ranking - means player is playing ranked match
Finished - means player finished his match or his search for match

this thing is called fl0w chart

okay, so whats going on here?

1) player click multiplayer, he is given option to go ranked or not. if he goes unranked he goes to server browser and just plays as usual
2) player select to play ranked, matchmaking is initialized
3) checking if the player have an entry in matchmaking table ( played ranked match before ) if he didn't, new entry created and neutral ELO is set, if entry exist, continue
4) playerStatus in player's matchmaking entry is changed to LookingFor, ELO_player is retrieved from database and added to entry, current timestamp added
5) checking entries in matchmaking table if there are other players LookingFor, if not found, ask to cancel search, change playerStatus to Finished to exclude his entry from search, if not, wait and check again
6) if players are found, compare ELO, by making and interval of ELO_player +/- 10, filter entries in matchmaking table that fit the interval, if not found, return to cycle and add +/-10 more, each time untill opponents are found
7) from players found select the one with oldest timestamp why? the key priority is speed of matchmaking, therefor it's a deciding criteria
8.) set both players playerStatus to Ranking to exclude their entries from search
9) actual gameplay, can be first to 3 session or just one game, after match is resolved, update each players ELO_player and set their playerStatus to Finished
10) start looking for another opponent
Last edited by snake; Aug 6, 2015 at 02:25 AM.
tell me about aikido
~referencing Dark Souls in suicidal threads since 13/01/15
Originally Posted by FistofLife View Post

In SC you DON'T pick what enemy race you want to face.

In hearthstone you DON'T pick what class you want to play against.

Why would it be different in toribash

In SC you dcide what race YOU play

in hearthstone you pick YOUR own deck

In the current idea the player has no say over his OWN mod. bad example.

The 5 mods idea is still fine, i have no problem with that.
Originally Posted by snake View Post
a diagram on how you will choose to ignore or not please

In the Wii matchmaking we scored each player. +1 for belt match etc. -1 if you just played the player.

Higher score the bigger change of getting match.
Originally Posted by hampa View Post
In the Wii matchmaking we scored each player. +1 for belt match etc. -1 if you just played the player.

Higher score the bigger change of getting match.

I'm confused, will matchmaking use an ELO system or not?
I couldn't think of a signature so i just put this here.
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
In SC you dcide what race YOU play

in hearthstone you pick YOUR own deck

In the current idea the player has no say over his OWN mod. bad example.

The 5 mods idea is still fine, i have no problem with that.

It's not a perfect example, but in all fairness you do get to pick what mods you're good at. So while you pick your own deck in Hearthstone, you also pick which mods you're good at in Toribash so that when it comes up in Matchmaking you can better guarantee victory. Or when you're called upon in clan league.

Just wanted to touch on practicality with a point you said earlier: "if Killer was the best lenshu player in Toribash I think he deserves praise". This goes back to the cons of banning mods. We wouldn't actually know who's the best in plenty of mods because there wouldn't be competition. The amount of people who take Judofrac seriously is less than 10. For TK? Less than 25. By forcing players to play mods they aren't comfortable at, it creates a larger talent pool which also creates more competition. It'll be easier for you to strut your stuff in TK if people are forced to actually play you in the mod.
Need help?
Creati0n says: still my favorite. <3
I sacrificed my firstborn for this great human being to join (M) ~R
Just Use Thunder!
Originally Posted by DrHax View Post
It's not a perfect example, but in all fairness you do get to pick what mods you're good at. So while you pick your own deck in Hearthstone, you also pick which mods you're good at in Toribash so that when it comes up in Matchmaking you can better guarantee victory. Or when you're called upon in clan league.

Just wanted to touch on practicality with a point you said earlier: "if Killer was the best lenshu player in Toribash I think he deserves praise". This goes back to the cons of banning mods. We wouldn't actually know who's the best in plenty of mods because there wouldn't be competition. The amount of people who take Judofrac seriously is less than 10. For TK? Less than 25. By forcing players to play mods they aren't comfortable at, it creates a larger talent pool which also creates more competition. It'll be easier for you to strut your stuff in TK if people are forced to actually play you in the mod.

To me its the matter of the modpool or to be exact, the size of it.

If the modpool is

Wushu, lenshu, erthtkv2, abd. Then im fine with having all of those. since 4-5 mods isnt too much to learn tbh. But with over 5 mods I feel banning would benefit the system.
Last edited by cowmeat; Aug 13, 2015 at 09:41 PM.
With the size of the community having filters I think would create absurd wait times

I think it would make most sense to have 2 striking mods, 2 kicking mods and 2 grappling mods.

you can cover all bases well, not make anyone too upset and ensure you cant be good at just 1 mod. There could be a poll similar to that that Gynx used to decide these mods.
Don't dm me pictures of bowls that you find attractive.
why not have one pool of competative mods across all, ranked and clan wars

this will be much more consistent
tell me about aikido
~referencing Dark Souls in suicidal threads since 13/01/15
Originally Posted by snake View Post
why not have one pool of competative mods across all, ranked and clan wars

this will be much more consistent

mind

Competitive*

This would have competitive players of all types, ranked or not, either be good at 5 competitive mods, or be decent at 2-3 and great at 2-3. (Or flat out horrible) Still variety and will allow what happens in a game such as rocket league... In casual games people tend to be partnered with strangers and have no plan other than hit ball... in ranked, they tend to be partied or have a play style and know what is going to happen when. In casual toribash, you fight, learn, and have fun with different mods... in competitive toribash, you know the mods and you know what to learn and how to react...
The power of the runes shall destroy you!
I guess the next thing to debate about since most of us are on the same page of what the system should be is which mods to use.

Lenshu3ng or RK-MMA needs to be one in my opinion. Extremely balanced, players know it, the mod is competed in often.

As for an aikido mod, I think ABD is the best choice for this particular system. The meta for competitive aikido and greykido are shovels which is a bad habit to teach players. Almost every clan has players warring in ABD. I get that people find this mod really unhealthy, seeing as some try to point hold after getting one hit, and some play simply to get a DM. Thing is this is a mod most people play, have warred in, and can understand. It would be a gigantic chore to convince all of Toribash to play a modified aikido that disallowed things like hip grabs.

For a kicking mod representative, ErthTKv2 seems most fit. The higher DM threshold means less just random splits and your hands aren't made of glass when defending snap kicks. It also teaches players about self damage which unless we included spirit wrestling in the line up means it'd be quite unique.

These 3 seem most core. The others you put in next seem far less important to competition and you could argue for hours about one mod being more deserving than others.

The wushu players will want a wushu mod and then be in eternal disagreement about whether it should be free form, have a dojo, have walls, what type of walls, higher or lower DM threshold, etc.

A lot of older players do like judofrac as a competetive mod. Some read the word judo and go "what no way noob" because of the low threshold and large turn frames. It has been a staple of recent competition.

Some prefer RK-MMA as its even harder to run in (if not near impossible to) compared to lenshu3ng. Worth mentioning RK and TK both would have the highest skill floors of the competetive mods.
Need help?
Creati0n says: still my favorite. <3
I sacrificed my firstborn for this great human being to join (M) ~R
Just Use Thunder!
I think thats a good variation of mods.

Lenshu3ng, is competitive and balanced, pretty much a proven fact.

ABD boring af imho, but still balanced etc. the same with lenshu

Erthtkv2, the most balanced tk and as well viable for competition

I would maybe add wushu to the list. Thus we would have 1 mid tf stricking mod. 1 short tf stricking/kicking (ive never understood why those have to be separated) mod. 1 long tf stricking mod and 1 balanced grappling mod.

With those, there would be everything for everyone but the list would not be bloated.