Ranking
Originally Posted by masoman11 View Post
I probably would be a genius if it wasn't for technology. I just get dumber looking at the internet. At least a little, but more like bring back the 80's type of tech. I would be as smarter and more productive.

Um, Alright. Any others?

Btw, joking. glad you posted your opinion.
Last edited by Templar; Jan 23, 2014 at 05:38 AM.
FREE-SPEECH CAUSE FUCK YOU
ONLY COMMIES CHANGE AVVYS
Originally Posted by TempIar View Post
Um, Alright. Any others?

I accidentally forgot to backspace the rest of the thing I was gonna type. Don't judge my inability to check what I typed.
I REALLY NEED TO PEE
Originally Posted by masoman11 View Post
I accidentally forgot to backspace the rest of the thing I was gonna type. Don't judge my inability to check what I typed.

Sorry to late. I already judged you. I wasn't going to, but know that you've mentioned it...
my clan was deleted
Originally Posted by Toolfree View Post
Sorry to late. I already judged you. I wasn't going to, but know that you've mentioned it...

Bully 101: Judge a kid after he asks you not to judge him.
I REALLY NEED TO PEE
What do ya'll think of Our advancement into the technological age?

Would have liked to see some more advances in robotics or genetic modifications, but it's not terrible, from my privileged, mostly Occident-influenced perspective, at least.

Do you think it is causing people to become more isolated and distanced due to the increased time people spend on their devices, not having face to face conversations and relationships?

To an extent, yes, but that isn't necessarily a problem. Conversations had and relationships formed over a digital medium is no less "real" than face-to-face interactions, there is simply a difference in the accepted conventions and etiquette of the settings in question. A person may be unassuming in "real life", and abrasive on the internet, but neither of these behaviours reflect the whole of that individual.

As for the other matter, I can only point to the fact that not everyone is comfortable in a face-to-face setting. Many introverts find that distanced, anonymous communication liberating, allowing them to more adequately express themselves, and actually bring them "closer" to other people than face-to-face encounters.

Or do you think that because of the increase in ease of communication it has actually drawn people closer together?

It has resulted in higher expectations from people as to whom they would like to communicate with. Rather than being limited to those in our immediate vicinity, we are free to choose from the many different personalities (I say this to emphasize that how a person chooses to act is more important than whom that person actually is) to fill specific niches. Smaller, micro-communities (or, "cliques", if you don't mind my using the term without its usual connotations) are a natural consequence of this selection process. Technology allows for certain people the chance to communicate, where in its absence they may never have done so, yet at the same time, there is an almost forced separation between different cliques of users.

Do you think that our Reliance on technology will cripple the human race in time, or make it stronger?

Life will continue, innovations will be made, and mouth-breathers will continue to plague us, with or without the technology.
Wow. Yet again, for the nth time, Wight/de4th has enlightened me with his praeternatural grasp of the Universe.

Don't mind me, mates. Just a friend of Wight's passing through your indubitably interesting thread.
fl0w
Originally Posted by Wight View Post
Would have liked to see some more advances in robotics or genetic modifications, but it's not terrible, from my privileged, mostly Occident-influenced perspective, at least.

Can't really argue this one, because It's your opinion. Obviously well researched as well, and as always, Wight.

To an extent, yes, but that isn't necessarily a problem. Conversations had and relationships formed over a digital medium is no less "real" than face-to-face interactions, there is simply a difference in the accepted conventions and etiquette of the settings in question. A person may be unassuming in "real life", and abrasive on the internet, but neither of these behaviors reflect the whole of that individual.

I think that there is a problem here, maybe not a major one, but a problem nonetheless. It may also be a situational problem here, that I myself am only experiencing, but from observations I have made going throughout my daily life lately, I don't think it is. People are tending to pay far too much attention to those that they interact with digitally and their devices compared to those that they interact with in analog (Forgive me if i used that word incorrectly),or real-life, if you wish to put it that way. Granted, they are paying attention to something, but generally that causes problems in real-life. Lack of attention to detail and surroundings and absorption into technology is a common occurrence I see. Basically, I'm alluding to people walking, driving, eating, running, and working with their nose buried in their cell-phone. Addiction to technology is bad, would you not agree?

I agree with your consensus that people do not show their entire true behavior in both face to face and online conversation.

As for the other matter, I can only point to the fact that not everyone is comfortable in a face-to-face setting. Many introverts find that distanced, anonymous communication liberating, allowing them to more adequately express themselves, and actually bring them "closer" to other people than face-to-face encounters.

I agree, but I will also point out that there are people that do not feel comfortable in a digital, text based setting as well.

It has resulted in higher expectations from people as to whom they would like to communicate with. Rather than being limited to those in our immediate vicinity, we are free to choose from the many different personalities (I say this to emphasize that how a person chooses to act is more important than whom that person actually is) to fill specific niches. Smaller, micro-communities (or, "cliques", if you don't mind my using the term without its usual connotations) are a natural consequence of this selection process. Technology allows for certain people the chance to communicate, where in its absence they may never have done so, yet at the same time, there is an almost forced separation between different cliques of users.

This is a concern of mine. Granted technology allows us to create out own breathing space with a group of people that have similar interests that we may never have met, But it also draws rifts between your group and others, not always, but usually. Take players of Dota2 and LoL. They are at each-others throats constantly, and It's been going on for ages.

I have a question for you here Wight, because I value your opinion as a friend. Would you consider these rifts between two groups easier of harder to mend than those created in the real world? On average, because these confrontations often vary on intensity and determination (stubbornness).

Life will continue, innovations will be made, and mouth-breathers will continue to plague us, with or without the technology.

Agreed.

And thank you for saying it is interesting Trick. I enjoyed that.
Last edited by Templar; Jan 24, 2014 at 03:00 PM.
Lack of attention to detail and surroundings and absorption into technology is a common occurrence I see. Basically, I'm alluding to people walking, driving, eating, running, and working with their nose buried in their cell-phone. Addiction to technology is bad, would you not agree?

Etiquette is again the issue here. While it may be viewed as addiction, I think it's a simpler problem. Being in public is not a particularly thrilling experience for most people. We've simply come to accept that people prefer to venture outside with a private space of sorts, the fact that they seem to be focused entirely on their device provides a convenient excuse for them to avoid interaction, intentional or not, with complete strangers.

Would you consider these rifts between two groups easier of harder to mend than those created in the real world? On average, because these confrontations often vary on intensity and determination (stubbornness).

In the "real world", sane people don't intentionally antagonize those with a differing opinion, unless they've a fairly significant justification for doing so.

Irrespective of the communication medium, conflicts will occur. I don't like the implication here (if indeed it exists), that such divides require "mending". While it may be comforting to believe that we all ought to be able to get along, our mindset as it is defined by our society (and other, less mutable factors, of which I don't want to discuss the specifics) does not allow for a scenario where everyone can be satisfied with mutual tolerance.
Originally Posted by Wight View Post
Etiquette is again the issue here. While it may be viewed as addiction, I think it's a simpler problem. Being in public is not a particularly thrilling experience for most people. We've simply come to accept that people prefer to venture outside with a private space of sorts, the fact that they seem to be focused entirely on their device provides a convenient excuse for them to avoid interaction, intentional or not, with complete strangers.

The problem I wanted to address in that part was more focused on using technology while knowing that by doing so you are most likely putting others in danger (ex: texting and driving). In potentially dangerous situations, I can observe people using their devices without care for the safety of others or themselves.

In the "real world", sane people don't intentionally antagonize those with a differing opinion, unless they've a fairly significant justification for doing so.

Irrespective of the communication medium, conflicts will occur. I don't like the implication here (if indeed it exists), that such divides require "mending". While it may be comforting to believe that we all ought to be able to get along, our mindset as it is defined by our society (and other, less mutable factors, of which I don't want to discuss the specifics) does not allow for a scenario where everyone can be satisfied with mutual tolerance.

I did not mean to imply that we need to mend, but there are senseless arguments that occur over petty things, and while that most likely means that the two groups wouldn't get along regardless, there are cases that could be said to have potential for coexisting without conflict, and yet conflict is made. If there is a situation that can be fixed, and there is reason to do so, which would you say is easier to subvert?
Originally Posted by TempIar
Addiction to technology is bad, would you not agree?

Any form of addiction is bad. But, if technology is used in a self-controlled manor, I see no problem with using it as a primary method of social interaction.
my clan was deleted