View Poll Results: Should we be able to use the word 'nigga' in Wibbles
Yes, allow it
51 Votes / 57.95%
No, ban it
37 Votes / 42.05%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll
View Poll Results

Original Post
Should we be able to use the word 'nigga' in Wibbles?
<~suomynona> ele: you're totally right about racial slurs in that post, yes.
<~suomynona> ele: Not aware of those exceptions, and I don't feel like making them for wibbles in this case.
<~suomynona> make a poll in S&I if you feel strongly about it.

I've been instructed to post here instead of the Wibbles 'Rules' thread. You can read and catch up with what's going in there (or maybe you can't, suo's moving posts to different threads). I'll briefly explain.

Currently, we are not allowed to say something like 'wuts gud ma nigga' or 'hahaha yeah nigga!' in Wibbles.

The pesky global rules say that whenever somebody says the word 'nigga', they're being racist and their post needs to be deleted/infracted. Clearly this not always the case. People can use the word 'nigga' without it being a racist attack on someone. It's all about the intent of the person using it.

So I know I, and a lot of other people, would like to be able to use that word in it's non-racist context. We're not talking about being able to use it everywhere in Toribash (the higher-ups definitely wouldn't go for that), we're just talking about letting people use it in Wibbles.

So, if you're behind this idea, vote for it in the poll. If you're not, then pick the other option.
Last edited by Ele; Oct 3, 2016 at 10:08 AM.
Originally Posted by ShhhMikes View Post
Wow went to hit yes and cause I'm using a phone the calibration was off. Noice XD
-----

Yea and why is it that other races can call us white boy's but if you even say some is black in no bad context they start screaming rascism and threaten reporting?

Don't start that argument here. You know very well why that is and if you dont I suggest reading a book on America's black rights history. You're also exaggerating. I've never someone who has reacted that way.

On the other hand, while racism is a terrible thing, I think it's unfair to ban words completely. Prejudice, like most things, are contextual. Not being able to say nigga or faggot doesn't stop prejudice, it just stops people from using two words to convey this prejudice. The words aren't the issue, the people are.

I've known plenty of people who use these words in a non-offensive manner, and while they could use other words, why restrict them from expressing themselves the way they want to express themselves. Oh, because "people may be offended" by those words? Yes, let's just give free reign to the people who have such thin skin that they can't handle the use of one word. That's fair to the majority of people who really don't care either way.
I think I might be retired.
Originally Posted by Mercurit View Post
Look at the ban list, and you'll see that there's a lot of "racial username" ban.
We just can't ban everyone in a sec, It can take some times.

Also, the proof that this word shouldn't be allowed, is that even if it's a discussion about we should say it or nah, you're scared about saying "nigga", and you use @.

are you dumb?
i didn't know if we were allowed to say nigga in this thread or not based on Not Being Able To Say Certain Words in everywhere else on the forums

also, this pretty much should be /thread
Originally Posted by Grohenbird View Post
The words aren't the issue, the people are.

Last edited by Demon; Oct 4, 2016 at 11:32 PM.
pacquiao
Only intent, not the word “nigger”, can be racist. The word “nigger” is not racist. A word can never be racist, the only way a word is racist if it is used with racist intent and explained that way. There are other words besides "nigger" that is just as offensive because of the connotation, like “eggplant”. The word by itself has no meaning; the history of the word and the situations in which the word is used brings the word to life. The term is both endearing and disrespectful depending on the situation in which it used. For example I can say "You're my nigga!" and it's reviewed as positive or I can say "You're a nigga," and it can be seen as negative. The common debate about this word doesn't exist so much with how to use it, but more so who uses it.

I do agree that if someone is directly attacking someone with the word, that it should be dealt with. But minute deals like someone saying "that's gay" or "whats up my nigga" should be left alone. It does no harm to anyone
in reality people are the one who cause themselfs harm, and overreact to the most dumbest shit ever and make it seem like they're innocent
I wonder how many people posted here just to say the word nigga in a bad context. If this was the case it proves fears point that people got to the absolute limit of human ingenuity just to get away with it.
I like the no racism rules and to keep them in place u need to be harsh. Its a word that many african americans feel offended when u use. But also they talk with one another using this word in slang talk. Allowing it will cause endless and pointless discution on semantics of words so better just ban it.
= SELLING MARKET INVENTORY =
Pm me for deals
Originally Posted by Insanity View Post
I wonder how many people posted here just to say the word nigga in a bad context. If this was the case it proves fears point that people got to the absolute limit of human ingenuity just to get away with it.
I like the no racism rules and to keep them in place u need to be harsh. Its a word that many african americans feel offended when u use. But also they talk with one another using this word in slang talk. Allowing it will cause endless and pointless discution on semantics of words so better just ban it.

So just to clarify would you like to ban any word that offends people? How is banning words "harsh"?

If you want harsh, just ban people for being racist. No warnings, just ban them immediately. That'll certainly get rid of racism on our forums, but is it really worth the effort to be so tolerant towards the people who get offended by every little thing that could be considered racist (ie anyone who argues that a word is inherently racist no matter the context) that we suppress the majority.

Yes, I'm aware that the majority isn't racist, but I'm sure that the majority of people don't look at "Hey what's up my nigga" and then immediately hop on tumblr and complain about racism. We're human, not social justice warriors. We just want the freedom to speak our damn minds without being told the way we say things is wrong.

Clear, unadulterated racism is NOT ambiguous. You know it's racist the second you read it. In all accepted uses of the word nigga, it is almost never racist. Read ACCEPTED.

I'll say it one last time. The word is fine. People are bigots. Ban the people and not the language.
I think I might be retired.
Let us have free speech. Can we not make this game a fucking safe space god damnit.
Banning the words don't really stop people from being racist. It's just like how guns don't kill people; people kill people.
I don't give a flyin' fladoodle
banning words is stupid, why would you censor speech over someone's feelings. i guarantee the only people getting offended aren't even black.
Hey all.

I've decided that with the current ongoing divide on whether or not 'nigga' is acceptable that I'd include the game developers in this discussion. I think everybody knows which side of the fence I sit on (having been the guy that drafted the public/private slurs rule) and whilst some people agree with my views enough people don't to the point that this is an ongoing discussion.

I have linked this thread to them with a summary of the discussion ("should 'nigga' be allowed in wibbles talk?/what do you think about the public/private ruling?").

As it stands, I think this is the best option to get a finite, definite ruling on how the staff and community treat that word in particular. If anybody should have a say on how he wishes his game's community to behave, it's the creator. He may want the staff to decide, he may want total written freedom, he may want tight moderation - that's his call to make and one we will have to respect once it's made. Normally we keep community issues like this out of the development sphere but I think there's big implications for our game/community image and target audience - something that he should at least be aware of.

Cheers.
collect snots from the nose
So long as it is not meant to insult the user and it is said in a friendly way then IMO it should be fine in Wibbles.
| Leader of FC | Loans | ABD Enthusiast |