Ranking
Originally Posted by 5brickbomzh View Post
Totally, 100% no! Did you know, if a real person would free fall, he/she would wall about 5meters in the first second. In toribash, that would happen only if gravity would be -1000million some. Of course, with such gravity the tori couldn't move.

Do you know, why do decapped palm, thrown away fly so far? Only because the gravity is mega-low, it's called hang-time. If the gravity in real life would be so little as in Toribash, I'd be able to throw a ball 1km.

Why? Because Toribash 'doll' kicks and punches are so much slower than in real life. I mean mostly the final speed. So basically it's that you decap or fracture the enemy in Toribash with a sissy punch, which would count at maybe 5m-second in real life/

Moreover, you can't (in toribash) do any considerable elbow, knee strikes and can't even do a proper jab, hook or uppercut. No, seriously, you can't. The punches are like wtf. Because idk, Toribash is really wierd.

o7 you're welcome

Anyway, Toribash would be a great Steam game, and probably a decent Esport. Besides it would increase TB's popularity.
Attached Files
Oblivion.rpl (868.2 KB, 13 views)
oh yeah
I don't see Toribash as a competitive game. Mosty because it is too simple and too unrealistic. People would simply get mad trying to improve their moves because the game is in the same time too simple and the psysique of the tori is very unrealistic.

I mean, honestly, if somebody who's into sports and human body movements and forces in those movements, like people in sports, they'd say that the game it's just awful.

Toribash is a casual game and should stay that way.

Tell me how realistic Zergs in Starcraft are and how that totally ruins it, please. I find it hard to understand how a game needs to be realistic in order to be a good game.

In a 500 matchframe replay there are 549755813888000 different outcomes (even if some only differ slightly). That's only counting tori moving isolated. Add in Uke, different match settings and mods, and you'll find out that "simple" is quite relative.

You've got people taking physics degrees that play the game, and quite a few who do tricking in real life that can also take those moves in-game. Sorry for taking this to the ad verecundiam road.

Moreover, you can't (in toribash) do any considerable elbow, knee strikes and can't even do a proper jab, hook or uppercut. No, seriously, you can't. The punches are like wtf. Because idk, Toribash is really wierd.

The game is already complicated enough without the additional ability to rotate your arms at a 270º angle, which would surely give you more arm mobility but would make the game even less beginner-friendly. Besides, even without that feature there are dozens of players who can jab, hook, uppercut and do "considerable" elbow and knee strikes. At least check the Replays forum or your replay folder. People can even do it in multiplayer.

"The punches are like wtf" for someone without experience, but so is pretty much everything else for that kind of people in Toribash, that's why you have realism replays in the default folder to show you the wide variety of things you can do within this game.
But then again, why does Toribash even have to be realistic? It has been about gore and destruction way before realism kicked in.
Imitating reality is just one of the possibilities, and again, the default folder offers you some of the finest non-realistic replays ever made to make people realize that the game is about movement with a fine hint of optional, awesome, gore, and not about realism.

More on topic:
I'm greatly in favor of adding the game to Steam. As it has already been said in the thread, it might increase the community exponentially and that sounds great to me.
If that new influx of players gets some decent cash rolling into Nabi, the game development could even get a lot faster and the game would have the chance to improve at a rate good enough to satisfy a larger community.

Before the player-base augments I don't think it would work as an e-sport though. A big amount of players sounds like a definite must before we can move for events with that magnitude.

I must admit I was quite skeptical about commentators and such in Toribash a while ago though, but Kowla's streams convinced me and I'm sure there are more people able to put out some entertaining shows in here.
Last edited by Oblivion; Sep 7, 2012 at 09:41 PM.
We're still kids in buses longing to be free.
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
Tell me how realistic Zergs in Starcraft are and how that totally ruins it, please. I find it hard to understand how a game needs to be realistic in order to be a good game.

In a 500 matchframe replay there are 549755813888000 different outcomes (even if some only differ slightly). That's only counting tori moving isolated. Add in Uke, different match settings and mods, and you'll find out that "simple" is quite relative.

You've got people taking physics degrees that play the game, and quite a few who do tricking in real life that can also take those moves in-game. Sorry for taking this to the ad verecundiam road.

The game is already complicated enough without the additional ability to rotate your arms at a 270º angle, which would surely give you more arm mobility but would make the game even less beginner-friendly. Besides, even without that feature that are dozens of players how can jab, hook, uppercut and do "considerable" elbow and knee strikes. At least check the Replays forum or your replay folder. People can even do it in multiplayer.

"The punches are like wtf" for someone without experience, but so is pretty much everything else for that kind of people in Toribash, that's why you have realism replays in the default folder to show you the wide variety of things you can do within this game.
But then again, why does Toribash even have to be realistic? It has been about gore and destruction way before realism kicked in.
Imitating reality is just one of the possibilities, and again, the default folder offers you some of the finest non-realistic replays ever made to make people realize that the game is about movement with a fine hint of optional, awesome, gore, and not about realism.

More on topic:
I'm greatly in favor of adding the game to Steam. As it has already been said in the thread, it might increase the community exponentially and that sounds great to me.
If that new influx of players gets some decent cash rolling into Nabi, the game development could even get a lot faster and the game would have the chance to improve at a rate good enough to satisfy a larger community.

Before the player-base augments I don't think it would work as an e-sport though. A big amount of players sounds like a definite must before we can move for events with that magnitude.

I must admit I was quite skeptical about commentators and such in Toribash a while ago though, but Kowla's streams convinced me and I'm sure there are more people able to put out some entertaining shows in here.

Oblivion, I know at least one of your replays are in the replays folder by default, so I'm guessing you probably know hampa on skype or something.
Anyways, let me get to the point. If Toribash was introduced to Steam, a lot more players would start pouring in, and I am guessing that Toribash will need new servers that will be able to support so many people. Could you please ask hampa if new servers would even be possible soon, because I think that Steam is out of the question if Toribash can't even support enough players.
Originally Posted by calendb View Post
Oblivion, I know at least one of your replays are in the replays folder by default, so I'm guessing you probably know hampa on skype or something.
Anyways, let me get to the point. If Toribash was introduced to Steam, a lot more players would start pouring in, and I am guessing that Toribash will need new servers that will be able to support so many people. Could you please ask hampa if new servers would even be possible soon, because I think that Steam is out of the question if Toribash can't even support enough players.

Oblivion is a badass - and it's generally accepted that he knows his shit. Don't lower him to "you got your replays in to default by being friends with hampa"...

Besides that, we could get more servers if need be. Just a thought....

Each new player is an investment in to the future of Toribash afterall.
Originally Posted by calendb View Post

I actually only spoke to hampa once or twice, so the only way to contact him that I have is by IRC, like every regular player. No offense taken even though G?rm?n did have a point there.

But like the man in the cow disguise said, getting more servers is probably one of the first things the people in charge are going to think of if this goes through.
I'm sure hampa has a couple of ninjas who can deal with the server issues when time is due so don't worry.
We're still kids in buses longing to be free.
Originally Posted by ImmortalCow View Post
Oblivion is a badass - and it's generally accepted that he knows his shit. Don't lower him to "you got your replays in to default by being friends with hampa"...

Besides that, we could get more servers if need be. Just a thought....

Each new player is an investment in to the future of Toribash afterall.

I asked hampa about servers in the stream and he said the revenue made from the tc bought and qi bought etc is more than enough for servers.
He said they're really cheap so I don't think that'd be a problem if we had a huge influx of players.
She/They

Yeah, I only don't like erthtkv2 because of the mod's name. Make it "tkv2," and the mod will instantly become more popular. This is a valid reason as the name of the mod is still an important feature that no one seems to have yet discussed.
Originally Posted by pusga View Post
Indeed, so I guess we would have a few community members commentate, otherwise it would be really difficult for them and it would suck if they didn't know what they were talking about.

yeah we would need some experienced players who know what they're doing
[TPO][OSG][ARA][Zero]
"and I have tons of friends" Deakster/Dickmaniac/Deak
If you review the convo I posted Hampa WILL be increasing the amount of servers to compensate with any influx of new people. As of right now we have 150 servers, I think he said we will have around 500 if needed.
[Festus][Shmevin][Ferras][Lexx][Fancy][Soap][Kristis133][Ryan][SpaceLlama][Uric]
[Tripstone][TomWanks]
Originally Posted by Kowla View Post
If you review the convo I posted Hampa WILL be increasing the amount of servers to compensate with any influx of new people. As of right now we have 150 servers, I think he said we will have around 500 if needed.

Which means this is going into some serious consideration, and has a good chance of happening!
The Curious Whomba, Intruding Your Privacy.
Regarding tb on steam, wait for a while until Solax comes on and approves my blog post for the toribash blog in which I've interview hampa about that very subject (or at least part of my interview was about that)

I can say though that toribash has been submitted to be a steam game before but has been rejected and hampa does have plans to put it on greenlight when 4.0 becomes more stable

EDIT: apparently kowla's convo already got all that info. Ignore me.

EDIT 2: My interview with hampa is up so look at that if you want to.
Last edited by Text; Sep 8, 2012 at 10:35 AM.

"[11:17pm] Thorn: I'm gonna have to ask you to stop being so productive"