Ranking
Originally Posted by TempIar View Post
In potentially dangerous situations, I can observe people using their devices without care for the safety of others or themselves.

Such is the difficulty presented in allowing people to take responsibility for their own actions. It's not possible to force someone into being sensible.

If there is a situation that can be fixed, and there is reason to do so, which would you say is easier to subvert?

In this situation, I would think that the participants, rather than the medium, is responsible for resolving the conflict.
Originally Posted by Toolfree View Post
Any form of addiction is bad. But, if technology is used in a self-controlled manor, I see no problem with using it as a primary method of social interaction.

But have you seen that there are a rather large group that are consistently "addicted" to technology? Granted, there are addictions throughout the ages, but this one seems particularly dangerous. I'm trying to say that there are people addicted to technology, and that they are not controlling themselves. Social interaction is fine, but not when it takes precedence over your life.
-----
Originally Posted by Wight View Post
Such is the difficulty presented in allowing people to take responsibility for their own actions. It's not possible to force someone into being sensible.

In this situation, I would think that the participants, rather than the medium, is responsible for resolving the conflict.

Granted that the people involved are more of a contributing factor, but in the case of, hypothetically, the same situation between the same people in the 2 different communication mediums, which is more effective?
Last edited by Templar; Jan 25, 2014 at 12:52 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
FREE-SPEECH CAUSE FUCK YOU
ONLY COMMIES CHANGE AVVYS
As I was preparing for D&D, I had found this page, detailing a conversion of the D&D alignments to real-world equivalents. There was an interesting point made about the naming schema; that while "lawful" and "good" are generally positive labels, "chaotic" and "evil" characters tend to have more complex motivations than their labelling would suggest.

Spectrum of values

What is your opinion of this? Some of these values are considered more important to society in general, and some are more important to different individuals, yet while all of these traits can be both positive and negative, the green and yellow half is generally seen as being more positive than the other half.

For those interested, you may also want to consider how the D&D alignments correspond to this spectrum. Do you agree with how they are represented?
Originally Posted by Wight View Post
As I was preparing for D&D, I had found this page, detailing a conversion of the D&D alignments to real-world equivalents. There was an interesting point made about the naming schema; that while "lawful" and "good" are generally positive labels, "chaotic" and "evil" characters tend to have more complex motivations than their labelling would suggest.

Spectrum of values

What is your opinion of this? Some of these values are considered more important to society in general, and some are more important to different individuals, yet while all of these traits can be both positive and negative, the green and yellow half is generally seen as being more positive than the other half.

For those interested, you may also want to consider how the D&D alignments correspond to this spectrum. Do you agree with how they are represented?

Now granted, evil characters may have more complex motivations for their actions, but I do believe that characters that are "evil" are decided ultimately by their concern for other beings. It matters whether or not their actions take into account fellow beings. Generally, Holy characters also have a flaw here too, at least the ones overtaken in their "gods warpath". But most rational characters have a sense of morality about them. I don't think that you can call a king evil because he decides to wage a war, but if he has no regard for his own troops and little care of whether they die or not, then I'd consider him evil. I don't think it's a perspective thing in theses cases. Granted, there should be a way to identify this characteristic in D&d, but I don't think the system is all that flawed at the moment. I don't find chaotic very negative, just random. Evil is supposed to be negative. Power and Ambition are not always bad things, but they tend to spawn evil intentions in their pursuit.
FREE-SPEECH CAUSE FUCK YOU
ONLY COMMIES CHANGE AVVYS
Granted, there should be a way to identify this characteristic in D&d, but I don't think the system is all that flawed at the moment.

The system, as it is, uses the traits of having/lacking a personal code of ethics (law/chaos), and having/lacking a strong concern for others (good/evil), as a defining characteristic. I think you would agree that real people don't always act according to their ethics (and in fact, they aren't always entirely aware of their own thoughts on the matter), nor are they always altruistic or selfish. The alignment system that uses universal, positive values does more to define a character than the 3.5 alignment system, as it allows for the development of an actual character, rather than (often) a one-dimensional ethically/morally bound automaton.

The only situation where law/chaos/good/evil works well, is describing a creature created from the essence of those ideals. It really shouldn't apply to beings originating from the Material Plane.
Meta-physical and spiritual theories
Discussions regarding time, space, time warp, soul, god, humans... etc. GO!

I'm thinking that I'll weekly post a new question. Just like Unlimita used to back in Oblivion.
But they will be questions regarding philosophical, meta-physical, spiritual and maybe psychological questions, on which you guys could try to find an answer to. Just to keep you all entertained, somewhat.

So here's my first question...

When you look all around you, you see nature, when you look up in the sky, you see the vastness of the Universe. What do they have in common?

HINT QUESTION: What happens in the Universe that happens on a smaller scale in Nature on the planet?
Last edited by TheMpk; Feb 18, 2014 at 02:13 PM.
Originally Posted by MPK
When you look all around you, you see nature, when you look up in the sky, you see the vastness of the Universe. What do they have in common?

I see a universe, and nature, filled with atoms, all made of the same thing. And, none of it probably even exists. So, I guess I find that they share simplicity and the fact that they aren't real, and just an illusion.
my clan was deleted
I like how you said " probably even exists ". It's all open to interpretation, that's why I made this thread, let your creativity run wild guys.

You kinda missed the hint question, but it's alright. It wasn't the main attraction anyway, just there as a hint as to my interpretation for it, cause this is a vast subject... many different opinions can jump on the table at any given time from any one of y'all.

I'll let you guys think some more about this one... and tell me if you would enjoy having something like this posted every week. At the end of the week, just as I post the next question, I would give my own answer to the question I previously posted... and in this case it's about common things that happen in the universe and nature... Who knows what'll be next time.

Keep yourselves posted and stay positive.
Originally Posted by TheMpk View Post

HINT QUESTION: What happens in the Universe that happens on a smaller scale in Nature on the planet?

I don't see "nature". City life doesn't exactly allow for an unobstructed view into the world, as it is. Similarly, I cannot see beyond the atmosphere when I look up, as it does a fine job of reflecting light.

What does "nature" and the universe have in common? They are (presumably) both part of the same reality, and subject to the same, mathematically predictable regularities. If you want more of a "profound" answer, I have nothing to contribute, except to state that everything changes. "Nature" changes, as humans further change the atmospheric composition and landscape of the Earth. The universe changes, and eventually, even protons may undergo radioactive decay.