ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Grab threshold
I know this is ragdoll physics, and not everything is supposed to be realistic.
However, I think it would be a neat mod/game rule in which grip will be lost after a certian amount of pressure is met. This would be neat for breaking out of holds or pin downs.
Last edited by Lazors; Aug 9, 2014 at 10:39 PM.
also ok these toris are like Super-ultra-mega strong enough to dismember somebody many times with their bare hands. if they can do this i don't belive their grab should be breakable.

Originally Posted by Master View Post
also ok these toris are like Super-ultra-mega strong enough to dismember somebody many times with their bare hands. if they can do this i don't belive their grab should be breakable.

no need to be stubborn. if we got used to issues and consider them as features, doesn't mean it should not be adressed
I'm assuming that this suggestion would add a 'break' threshold to grabs, sort of like the current dm and frac thresholds we have in place now. If that true, then I really don't see how making grabs breakable will change the meta in a good way. All I see happening is grabs "randomly" breaking during the course of chaotic matches, making ghosts slightly less reliable and increasing the amount of BS moments... All for the sake of people not wanting to get grabbed in grabbing mods.

I'm not saying that this is a horrible idea, but I'm just not convinced that it will have as much of a positive impact as people are making it seem.
"Fear not the Tori who has practiced 10,000 openers once, but fear the Tori who has practiced one opener 10,000 times."
Originally Posted by DaNooB23 View Post
I'm assuming that this suggestion would add a 'break' threshold to grabs, sort of like the current dm and frac thresholds we have in place now. If that true, then I really don't see how making grabs breakable will change the meta in a good way. All I see happening is grabs "randomly" breaking during the course of chaotic matches, making ghosts slightly less reliable and increasing the amount of BS moments... All for the sake of people not wanting to get grabbed in grabbing mods.

I'm not saying that this is a horrible idea, but I'm just not convinced that it will have as much of a positive impact as people are making it seem.

That's why some parts should be weaker than others, hands being the sturdiest grip, while inside grabs, leg grabs and head grabs would be the weaker grabs.

Done right, this idea wouldn't add to the randomness of wrist dm's, but also prevent random self grabs that instantly wreck your body. If you can break a limb by simply grabbing it and pulling it off, there's something very wrong with the mechanics.
I will miss the goatse though :c
Brendan (he who passeth judgement on the frequent changing of signatures): I don't do hentai anymore
Originally Posted by Lazors View Post
That's why some parts should be weaker than others, hands being the sturdiest grip, while inside grabs, leg grabs and head grabs would be the weaker grabs.

Might as well play that aikido mod where you can only grab arms and nothing else.

Originally Posted by Lazors View Post
Done right, this idea wouldn't add to the randomness of wrist dm's, but also prevent random self grabs that instantly wreck your body. If you can break a limb by simply grabbing it and pulling it off, there's something very wrong with the mechanics.
I will miss the goatse though :c

"Random wrist dms" usually aren't random and can be avoided. Same thing goes for self grabs which can be avoided simply by paying attention.

I'm still not convinced that this suggestion is necessary. If anything, a timed grab option would be a lot better than this one simply because it would be easy to tell exactly when a grab will 'break.'

Player ghosts already can't take dms and fracs into account. Adding another thing to the list of things the ghosts can't handle would, in fact, add to the randomness of things.
"Fear not the Tori who has practiced 10,000 openers once, but fear the Tori who has practiced one opener 10,000 times."
Originally Posted by DaNooB23 View Post
Might as well play that aikido mod where you can only grab arms and nothing else.

"Random wrist dms" usually aren't random and can be avoided. Same thing goes for self grabs which can be avoided simply by paying attention.

I'm still not convinced that this suggestion is necessary. If anything, a timed grab option would be a lot better than this one simply because it would be easy to tell exactly when a grab will 'break.'

Player ghosts already can't take dms and fracs into account. Adding another thing to the list of things the ghosts can't handle would, in fact, add to the randomness of things.

Even though aikido7.tbm has good grab functions, inside grabs is still a problem.
Aikido5 disables the wrists, but adds limitations for the rest of the game.
I don't want to enforce my way of playing on anyone else, and I'm not much for realism, but when there is so many complains about leg grabs and other grab functions that just kills the gameplay, fixing it without disturbing the good parts of the game can't be a bad thing, no?
Adding a limitation on the grab makes leg grabbing (for example) avoidable, because it can break very easily, while still being able to grab it if you really had to.

I really don't see how timed grabs could work. You mean I would constantly have to re-grab to maintain my grab?

I don't think wrist dm's and self-grabs is an actual degree of skill. You could avoid it by being careful, but breaking your own joints simply by grabbing them is pretty stupid and doesn't add to the gameplay (except for the occasional self-DM competitions, I guess).
I don't want blood to come out whenever I touch myself ._.

I'm not saying that wrist DM's are always random, but I doubt it's intentional when it happens. I do think a breakable grab would be better than a hand DM, especially in aikido-like mods.
If we want to have a professional image, we should remove useless, game-breaking features, and I do think outdated grabs is one of them.
Brendan (he who passeth judgement on the frequent changing of signatures): I don't do hentai anymore
This is the single best suggestion for this game.
I don't want to see this drowned and ignored. This would make the game so much more interesting and dynamic. Lifts/suplexes would still be viable but not as ridiculously overpower as they are currently.

Needs more support.
Doesn't this mean that there is no way to hit your opponent hard? Since the game cant detect if your hitting or being hit.
Using the current meta as a counterargument is really bad.
I'll use league as an example. If Riot asked the community whether or not they should change so many things in season 4, I guarantee the community would have generally said no. People hate change, not because it's bad or good, but because they're afraid they won't be able to master the new mechanics like they did the previous ones.
Holding development back and keeping broken mechanics in a game just because people are afraid of change is the worst thing :[]